WAMC? 2024-25 Cycle Avg GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Abu Shaggy

Reaction score
Date of submission: Hopefully June 2024
Overall GPA: 3.54 (hopefully 3.6 by the time I graduate)
Science GPA: 3.45
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.38
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA:23 TS: 22 PAT: 24 Bio:22 GC: 22 OC:21 QR: 26 RC: 26

Undergrad Attended:
University of Texas at Dallas
Major: Health Science
Minor: N/A
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
Yes, worked for 2.5 years during undergrad to pay for college tuition and to support family, had a negative affect of my GPA.

Shadowing Experience: 280 total, 250 general dentist, 30 pediatric dentist
Volunteering Experience: 400 at Feed my starving children, 30 at a free dental clinic to serve under-served children
Employment: 3200 hours at Walmart
Research:
None
Other Extracurriculars: Youtube channel, member of the pre-dental association
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: 3 dentists, i have gotten really really close to all 3 of them, they offered to write one without me even asking. 2 are from the same clinic (current owner and previous owner), other is at the pediatric clinic i shadowed at. Instead of science professors I'm getting an HPE packet from my university which includes a cover letter from my pre-dental advisor and my 3 LOR's all in one packet.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: D+ in a NON-pre -requisite course. My advisor said I can still graduate with the D+ since my university considers it passing, and it is not a pre-req for dental schools.
School list:
Texas A&M School of Dentistry (I am a texas resident)
UT Health Houston
UT Health San Antonio
Texas Tech
MWU-IL ( i lived in Illinois until I was 15 years old, my whole family is there so other than the tuition, this wouldnt be that bad, plus my first cousin (best friend) goes there
MWU-AZ
WesternU
USC
NYU
Touro
LECOM
Detroit Mercy
Case Western
ASDOH
Roseman
Louisville
Rutgers
Colorado
VCU
Nevada
LSU
UNE
Creighton
I literally picked every dental school with a lower avg GPA and DAT than mine, please let me know if i should remove/add any.

Members don't see this ad.

How will your committee describe your D+? Are you a Texas resident (yes you are)? Have you networked with the other Texas schools?

Most dental schools recognize Texas offers really cheap tuition and won't consider many Texas applicants. Schools with large class sizes may be the exception. Your best chances are with your Texas schools and maybe Arizona/UNLV depending on your mission fit.

I would remove:
UNE (region mismatch)
Rutgers (region mismatch but network before applying)
Roseman (unless you show a sharp upward trend... that D+ though)
Colorado (check OOS)
Nevada (check OOS)
LSU (check OOS)

You have another thread that discusses the D+. I just have issues with anything that shows faculty you are satisfied with failing a course. You are entering a profession with very high standards to pass doing procedures correctly and thus a high risk of failing. Showing that you are satisfied with a failure on your record without remediation may not satisfy some adcoms, even if it is not a prerequisite. That's why how your committee is going to frame this D+ is going to be critical, especially your Texas adcoms who are looking for reasons to strike an application off the interview shortlists.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
How will your committee describe your D+? Are you a Texas resident (yes you are)? Have you networked with the other Texas schools?

Most dental schools recognize Texas offers really cheap tuition and won't consider many Texas applicants. Schools with large class sizes may be the exception. Your best chances are with your Texas schools and maybe Arizona/UNLV depending on your mission fit.
I really don't know how the committee will review my D+, all they've told us so far is that the letter written by them is based off of the interviews they conduct this April.

I have signed up for a few dental events at the other texas schools, hopefully by networking I can get my name out there. My pre-dental association is going to UT Health Houston for a dental school tour and I signed up for that. I also helped fundriase money for Texas A&M's dental clinic to provide free screenings for under-served patients.

What are the best things I can do to make my application better in case I don't get in first try? I recognize that I don't have as much dental clinic experience as I do experience in Walmart, so I was planning on working as a Dental Assistant after I graduate during my gap year if I don't get accepted first try. Would I need to look into a post-bacc or masters degree for my GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
I really don't know how the committee will review my D+, all they've told us so far is that the letter written by them is based off of the interviews they conduct this April.

I have signed up for a few dental events at the other texas schools, hopefully by networking I can get my name out there. My pre-dental association is going to UT Health Houston for a dental school tour and I signed up for that. I also helped fundriase money for Texas A&M's dental clinic to provide free screenings for under-served patients.

What are the best things I can do to make my application better in case I don't get in first try? I recognize that I don't have as much dental clinic experience as I do experience in Walmart, so I was planning on working as a Dental Assistant after I graduate during my gap year if I don't get accepted first try. Would I need to look into a post-bacc or masters degree for my GPA?
Certainly working as a DA will help you in a gap year. Lots of successful applicants do this deliberately. They get certified in X-rays and learn to chart.

Make sure you know how to describe your D+ in your interviews for your committee letter. Get advice from them on how to effectively describe it. Just saying your school consists a D a passing grade is technically correct but may not be satisfying to adcoms. Maybe ask the admissions staff at your recruitment visits (in private).

Certainly working as a DA will help you in a gap year. Lots of successful applicants do this deliberately. They get certified in X-rays and learn to chart.

Make sure you know how to describe your D+ in your interviews for your committee letter. Get advice from them on how to effectively describe it. Just saying your school consists a D a passing grade is technically correct but may not be satisfying to adcoms. Maybe ask the admissions staff at your recruitment visits (in private).
I love the advice and I really appreciate your time in helping me, it helps more than you know. Thank you.

Date of submission: Hopefully June 2024
Overall GPA: 3.54 (hopefully 3.6 by the time I graduate)
Science GPA: 3.45
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.38
DAT score (include AA and all sections): AA:23 TS: 22 PAT: 24 Bio:22 GC: 22 OC:21 QR: 26 RC: 26

Undergrad Attended:
University of Texas at Dallas
Major: Health Science
Minor: N/A
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad?
Yes, worked for 2.5 years during undergrad to pay for college tuition and to support family, had a negative affect of my GPA.

Shadowing Experience: 280 total, 250 general dentist, 30 pediatric dentist
Volunteering Experience: 400 at Feed my starving children, 30 at a free dental clinic to serve under-served children
Employment: 3200 hours at Walmart
Research:
None
Other Extracurriculars: Youtube channel, member of the pre-dental association
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? No
Relevant Honors or Awards: None
LOR type and strength: 3 dentists, i have gotten really really close to all 3 of them, they offered to write one without me even asking. 2 are from the same clinic (current owner and previous owner), other is at the pediatric clinic i shadowed at. Instead of science professors I'm getting an HPE packet from my university which includes a cover letter from my pre-dental advisor and my 3 LOR's all in one packet.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: D+ in a NON-pre -requisite course. My advisor said I can still graduate with the D+ since my university considers it passing, and it is not a pre-req for dental schools.
School list:
Texas A&M School of Dentistry (I am a texas resident)
UT Health Houston
UT Health San Antonio
Texas Tech
MWU-IL ( i lived in Illinois until I was 15 years old, my whole family is there so other than the tuition, this wouldnt be that bad, plus my first cousin (best friend) goes there
MWU-AZ
WesternU
USC
NYU
Touro
LECOM
Detroit Mercy
Case Western
ASDOH
Roseman
Louisville
Rutgers
Colorado
VCU
Nevada
LSU
UNE
Creighton
I literally picked every dental school with a lower avg GPA and DAT than mine, please let me know if i should remove/add any.
did you take off 2.5 years to work, or you worked for 2.5 years while in college?

I would remove:
UNE (region mismatch)
Rutgers (region mismatch but network before applying)
Roseman (unless you show a sharp upward trend... that D+ though)
Colorado (check OOS)
Nevada (check OOS)
LSU (check OOS)

You have another thread that discusses the D+. I just have issues with anything that shows faculty you are satisfied with failing a course. You are entering a profession with very high standards to pass doing procedures correctly and thus a high risk of failing. Showing that you are satisfied with a failure on your record without remediation may not satisfy some adcoms, even if it is not a prerequisite. That's why how your committee is going to frame this D+ is going to be critical, especially your Texas adcoms who are looking for reasons to strike an application off the interview shortlists.
Considering that I have 89 credits at community college, which schools should I take out? Do any of these not accept CC credits? Your expertise is much appreciated.

Considering that I have 89 credits at community college, which schools should I take out? Do any of these not accept CC credits? Your expertise is much appreciated.
do your own research...