WAMC 2024-25 with 16QR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoangv1550

Reaction score
Date of submission: End of June 2024
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.2
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

-First attempt (2022): PAT 18, Bio 19, Gchem 19, Ochem 21, QR 19, RC 15, AA 19, Sci 19
-Second attempt (2023): PAT 19, Bio 17, Gchem 19, Ochem 20, QR 16, RC 16, AA 18, Sci 18
-Third attempt (2024): PAT 19, Bio 20, Gchem 24, Ochem 25, QR 16, RC 20, AA 21, Sci 23
State of Residence: California

Major:
Bio Sci
Minor: Medical Anthropology
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: 110 for General Dentist
Volunteering Experience: 500+
Employment: Dental Assistant for ~3years
Research: no
Other Extracurriculars: no leadership, join pre-dental club in college
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? no
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean Honor Lists, Chancellor Excellence Scholarship, CPR certificate, Xray certificate, Infection Control Certificate
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, 1 periodontist. All strength
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: received an F in Ochem regarding an Academic of Integrity. I retook the class and received a B+. This is the reason why I wanted to apply to many school to increase my chances as I know academic integrity is a big thing.

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Arizona School of Dent.
ATSU Missouri
Midwestern Arizona
USC
UNE
Roseman
Western University CA
Northstate CA
University Iowa
University Illinois, Chicago
Midwestern Illinois
Indiana University
Tufts
Detroit Mercy
Mississippi University
Utah University
UNLV

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Please follow the template.

Can you give us a sense of what your mission fit is? What is your purpose as a dentist?

Please follow the template.

Can you give us a sense of what your mission fit is? What is your purpose as a dentist?
Hello. I just edited my post to fit the format. Thank you for letting me know!
My dad had periodontal disease and that also correlated to other health problems. Growing up, I have been seeing him having difficulty with eating, so he was the reason that got interested in dental field. I also have been volunteered at a mobile dental office (non-profit) for more than a year now, and I am in love with helping underserved people in getting affordable dental care.
Thank you for your input!

Members don't see this ad :)
Date of submission: End of June 2024
Overall GPA: 3.5
Science GPA: 3.2
DAT score (include AA and all sections):

-First attempt (2022): PAT 18, Bio 19, Gchem 19, Ochem 21, QR 19, RC 15, AA 19, Sci 19
-Second attempt (2023): PAT 19, Bio 17, Gchem 19, Ochem 20, QR 16, RC 16, AA 18, Sci 18
-Third attempt (2024): PAT 19, Bio 20, Gchem 24, Ochem 25, QR 16, RC 20, AA 21, Sci 23
State of Residence: California

Major:
Bio Sci
Minor: Medical Anthropology
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? no

Shadowing Experience: 110 for General Dentist
Volunteering Experience: 500+
Employment: Dental Assistant for ~3years
Research: no
Other Extracurriculars: no leadership, join pre-dental club in college
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? no
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean Honor Lists, Chancellor Excellence Scholarship, CPR certificate, Xray certificate, Infection Control Certificate
LOR type and strength: 2 science professors, 1 general dentist, 1 periodontist. All strength
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: received an F in Ochem regarding an Academic of Integrity. I retook the class and received a B+. This is the reason why I wanted to apply to many school to increase my chances as I know academic integrity is a big thing.

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Arizona School of Dent.
ATSU Missouri
Midwestern Arizona
USC
UNE
Roseman
Western University CA
Northstate CA
University Iowa
University Illinois
Midwestern Illinois
Indiana University
Tufts
Detroit Mercy
Mississippi University
Utah University
UNLV
there is no University Illinois d school
why mississippi?

University of Illinois, Chicago.
I took out Mississippi because I heard they only offer instate. Thank you for your reply!
oh shoot, sorry
i forgot about uic
my apologies

I’d take out UIC. They barely take anyone out of state.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't tell if you have articulated your mission as a dentist, but it would help us with matching you to schools with mission fit alignment.

As for your list, QR is historically the lowest subscore, and doing math on a clock does not translate to anything comparable in dental school as far as I know. That said, you're pretty much "baked" with your DATs since the AA/PAT don't move a ton among the three scores. You'll be a solid candidate, but unless there's a strong mission fit, you might get a little attention, but no guarantees.

I don't get your lengthy list. I get you have to throw in private schools because of your lower GPA and 3x DAT. Have you visited any of the California schools you listed?

In all likelihood, most California resident applicants have to file a fair number of OOS applicants. However, the choices need to show mission fit. Until then, I don't get many of the schools you list that are outside your immediate region. I don't get:
ATSU Missouri
University of Iowa
UIC
Midwestern
Indiana
Mississippi
Utah

School list:

Arizona School of Dent.
ATSU Missouri
Midwestern Arizona
USC
UNE
Roseman
Western University CA
Northstate CA
University Iowa
University Illinois, Chicago
Midwestern Illinois
Indiana University
Tufts
Detroit Mercy
Mississippi University
Utah University
UNLV
I suppose you can throw in LECOM, Boston, and Tufts though look up their metrics.

I can't tell if you have articulated your mission as a dentist, but it would help us with matching you to schools with mission fit alignment.

As for your list, QR is historically the lowest subscore, and doing math on a clock does not translate to anything comparable in dental school as far as I know. That said, you're pretty much "baked" with your DATs since the AA/PAT don't move a ton among the three scores. You'll be a solid candidate, but unless there's a strong mission fit, you might get a little attention, but no guarantees.

I don't get your lengthy list. I get you have to throw in private schools because of your lower GPA and 3x DAT. Have you visited any of the California schools you listed?

In all likelihood, most California resident applicants have to file a fair number of OOS applicants. However, the choices need to show mission fit. Until then, I don't get many of the schools you list that are outside your immediate region. I don't get:
ATSU Missouri
University of Iowa
UIC
Midwestern
Indiana
Mississippi
Utah

I suppose you can throw in LECOM, Boston, and Tufts though look up their metrics.
i am going to disagree again, mr.12, sorry
OPs AA improved from 18/19 to 21

still waiting to hear about the academic integrity...

Reactions: 1 user
i am going to disagree again, mr.12, sorry
OPs AA improved from 18/19 to 21

still waiting to hear about the academic integrity...
Hello Mr.Smile and Macsak, thank you for you guys input!
it was embarassed to tell and i usually avoid this question. I kinda debate lots of time if it is worthy in applying as i know cheating is a big thing. But it is my dream to become a dentist so i was just honest telling them what happened in the application. Basically i get caught for cheating during the pandemic. The professor failed me and i had to retake the class in summer. In the application, I was just honest in telling everything that happened.

Please let me know if i could take any out schools

it was embarassed to tell and i usually avoid this question. I kinda debate lots of time if it is worthy in applying as i know cheating is a big thing. But it is my dream to become a dentist so i was just honest telling them what happened in the application. Basically i get caught for cheating during the pandemic. The professor failed me and i had to retake the class in summer. In the application, I was just honest in telling everything that happened.

thanks for your honesty
i am more interested in what it says on your transcript and whether there was anything done officially to resolve the situation

Make sure your student conduct office helps you with your statement, including if the incident is expunged by school policy, before you submit.