WAMC: 2025-26 Cycle 4.0 GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MKW_dental

Reaction score
Hey y'all I know I am applying next year, but I need some advice on how I can spend my summer effectively to prepare for my application. Any advice is appreciated!

Date of submission: (2025-2026 cycle)
Overall GPA:
Science GPA: 4.00
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 4.00
DAT score (include AA and all sections): Will take May 2025
State of Residence: NC

Undergrad Attended: Public School in NC
Major: Biology
Minor: Chemistry, Medical Humanities
Minority? I don't know (LGTBQ+)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 70 (40 General Dentist, 30 Periodontist)
Volunteering Experience: Missions of Mercy Clinic (10 hours), My college's student pantry (50 hours)
Employment: 175 (Sterilization Tech), Looking for a job this summer to pay for school
Research:
60 so far (just started and will continue until graduation), Neurodegenerative/ Proteostasis research
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Club --> 30 hours (applying for executive board this fall), Marching Band --> 400 hours
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? I am a part of the BTG program @ UNC and have attended UNC's Impressions day.
Relevant Honors or Awards: Chancelors list all semesters 2022-present
LOR type and strength: I have fairly good relationships with my PI/professors, Pre-health committee, and Dentist that I have shadowed.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I am trying to figure out how to spend my summer most effectively and what schools I should apply to. any advice will help me tons!

School list:
  1. UNC (IS): Top choice by far!!!
  2. ECU (IS)
  3. MUSC
  4. Michigan
  5. Rutgers
  6. NYU
  7. Columbia
  8. UoP
  9. VCU
  10. Temple
  11. UConn
  12. Tufts
  13. Boston
  14. UMD
  15. Augusta University
  16. UCSF

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey y'all I know I am applying next year, but I need some advice on how I can spend my summer effectively to prepare for my application. Any advice is very appreciated!

Overall GPA:

Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Volunteering Experience: Missions of Mercy Clinic (10 hours), My college's student pantry (50 hours)
Employment: 175 (Sterilization Tech), Looking for a job this summer to pay for school
Research:
60 so far (just started and will continue until graduation), Neurodegenerative/ Proteostasis research
Other Extracurriculars: Pre-Dental Club --> 30 hours (applying for executive board this fall), Marching Band --> 400 hours
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadowing faculty, etc.
LOR type and strength: I have fairly good relationships with my PI/professors, Pre-health committee, and Dentist that I have shadowed.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I am a part of the BTG program @ UNC and have attended their Impressions day (Don't know where else to put this). I am trying to figure out how to spend my summer most effectively and what schools I should apply to. any advice will help me tons!

School list:
  2. ECU (IS)
  3. MUSC
  4. Michigan
  5. Rutgers
  6. NYU
  7. Columbia
  8. UoP
  9. VCU
  10. Temple
  11. UConn
  12. Tufts
  13. Boston
  14. UMD
  15. Augusta University
  16. UCSF
what is BTG program?

what is BTG program?
It's a program that the UNC ASDA student org does. You get assigned a current D1/D2 and you attend workshops with them. So far, I've done a mock interview, spent time in their dental lab waxing, etc. Really big reason why I want to go to UNC for dental school!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all I know I am applying next year, but I need some advice on how I can spend my summer effectively to prepare for my application. Any advice is appreciated!

Overall GPA:

Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Research:
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? networking, volunteering in a D-school clinic, shadowing faculty, etc.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I am a part of the BTG program @ UNC and have attended their Impressions day (Don't know where else to put this). I am trying to figure out how to spend my summer most effectively and what schools I should apply to. any advice will help me tons!

School list:
  2. ECU (IS)
  3. MUSC
  4. Michigan
  5. Rutgers
  6. NYU
  7. Columbia
  8. UoP
  9. VCU
  10. Temple
  11. UConn
  12. Tufts
  13. Boston
  14. UMD
  15. Augusta University
  16. UCSF
It's a program that the UNC ASDA student org does. You get assigned a current D1/D2 and you attend workshops with them. So far, I've done a mock interview, spent time in their dental lab waxing, etc. Really big reason why I want to go to UNC for dental school!
ok, great
keep it up

your list can be MUCH shorter depending on your dat scores...

GPA is solid, I hope DAT is as well. Solid DAT should make UNC pretty solid. You'll need more general dentist hours. 40 is fairly low. I'd aim to get 100, since that's the minimum for NYU.

If research goes well, or if you like it, I'd see if you could lock in funding for the summer so you could continue it.

GPA is solid, I hope DAT is as well. Solid DAT should make UNC pretty solid. You'll need more general dentist hours. 40 is fairly low. I'd aim to get 100, since that's the minimum for NYU.

If research goes well, or if you like it, I'd see if you could lock in funding for the summer so you could continue it.
Thank you! I haven't even thought of summer programs. I will look into that and I will spend more time shadowing general dentists

ok, great
keep it up

your list can be MUCH shorter depending on your dat scores...
Could it? I thought 15-20 schools is a good range because of how competitive dental school applications can get.

Could it? I thought 15-20 schools is a good range because of how competitive dental school applications can get.
not with a 4.0gpa
you do have 5 reach schools, but you should absolutely not apply to NYU
and you most likely don't need tufts and boston as long as you have good dats

Overall GPA:

Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Research:
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? I am a part of the BTG program @ UNC and have attended UNC's Impressions day.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: I am trying to figure out how to spend my summer most effectively and what schools I should apply to. any advice will help me tons!

School list:
  2. ECU (IS)
  3. MUSC
  4. Michigan
  5. Rutgers
  6. NYU
  7. Columbia
  8. UoP
  9. VCU
  10. Temple
  11. UConn
  12. Tufts
  13. Boston
  14. UMD
  15. Augusta University
  16. UCSF
how did you come up with this list?

Dear heavens, you can be picky if your DAT comes out in the 95+ percentiles across the board. Even if you got 20's in general, you should be fine.

Here's what you should do in the next year before you apply other than nailing the DAT. Pick as many as you can, but make any school you network with want you, even though you are probably signaling "I want to go to Carolina Dental!" loudly and proudly.
1) Get more hours with NCMOM or community dental clinic experiences.
2) Make connections with the NCDA (local and state chapters) through the dentists you are shadowing or the faculty/students. See if you can attend the state conference and get yourself immersed in the issues facing dentistry in the state. (Start reading Dental Town and similar press.) Figure out what DSO's are and whether they are friend or foe (e.g., look at what's going on with HPU SOD).
3) Get your student pantry hours up to 100 before applying. Maybe an additional non-clinical community service experience if you cannot, especially if it takes you off campus. Try serving a different constituency that you do not identify, such as military/veterans or incarcerated/formerly incarcerated. I suspect both options are available to you.
4) Are HPSP or NHSC on the table to help you cover your expenses? You could get a merit scholarship, but it might not cover all of your COA. Reduce your upcoming debt to increase your options with specialties or your future.
5) Consider if you feel being a community advocate is complimentary to your role as a dentist and get involved. If you're going to be in North Carolina, given the current situation with state politics, know how to pick your battles. You probably know LGBTQ+ allies at UNC, so seek them at the other schools you will apply to.
6) ECU is going to see your involvement with opportunities at UNC SOD. Are you from rural NC? If so, ECU will likely talk to you as per their mission and their preference for in-state applicants. But it's going to be obvious you probably won't go there for dental school. If you interview with them, keep your options open for graduate clinic/residency opportunities.
7) If you want to shop around to OOS schools, also keep an open mind and look at their facilities for training dental students and residents. You may find opportunities with graduate/residency or wind up in a faculty position if you decide to continue with academic dentistry.
8) If you like academic dentistry, think about research. It's not so critical to survive dental school, but if you want to position yourself for a specialty, find out sooner than later.
9) Get a copy of the Dental School Explorer and pay attention to OOS matriculants. If there are fewer than 2 from NC attending a school, don't put them on your list (at first) unless there is a compelling mission fit or opportunity you want that UNC doesn't have. You shouldn't have more than 10 schools on your list.

In general, you have a fantastic shot. The 2022 data show there were 359 NC applicants that filled 180 spots.

Keep checking in with us before you apply!

Reactions: 1 users
Dear heavens, you can be picky if your DAT comes out in the 95+ percentiles across the board. Even if you got 20's in general, you should be fine.

Here's what you should do in the next year before you apply other than nailing the DAT. Pick as many as you can, but make any school you network with want you, even though you are probably signaling "I want to go to Carolina Dental!" loudly and proudly.
1) Get more hours with NCMOM or community dental clinic experiences.
2) Make connections with the NCDA (local and state chapters) through the dentists you are shadowing or the faculty/students. See if you can attend the state conference and get yourself immersed in the issues facing dentistry in the state. (Start reading Dental Town and similar press.) Figure out what DSO's are and whether they are friend or foe (e.g., look at what's going on with HPU SOD).
3) Get your student pantry hours up to 100 before applying. Maybe an additional non-clinical community service experience if you cannot, especially if it takes you off campus. Try serving a different constituency that you do not identify, such as military/veterans or incarcerated/formerly incarcerated. I suspect both options are available to you.
4) Are HPSP or NHSC on the table to help you cover your expenses? You could get a merit scholarship, but it might not cover all of your COA. Reduce your upcoming debt to increase your options with specialties or your future.
5) Consider if you feel being a community advocate is complimentary to your role as a dentist and get involved. If you're going to be in North Carolina, given the current situation with state politics, know how to pick your battles. You probably know LGBTQ+ allies at UNC, so seek them at the other schools you will apply to.
6) ECU is going to see your involvement with opportunities at UNC SOD. Are you from rural NC? If so, ECU will likely talk to you as per their mission and their preference for in-state applicants. But it's going to be obvious you probably won't go there for dental school. If you interview with them, keep your options open for graduate clinic/residency opportunities.
7) If you want to shop around to OOS schools, also keep an open mind and look at their facilities for training dental students and residents. You may find opportunities with graduate/residency or wind up in a faculty position if you decide to continue with academic dentistry.
8) If you like academic dentistry, think about research. It's not so critical to survive dental school, but if you want to position yourself for a specialty, find out sooner than later.
9) Get a copy of the Dental School Explorer and pay attention to OOS matriculants. If there are fewer than 2 from NC attending a school, don't put them on your list (at first) unless there is a compelling mission fit or opportunity you want that UNC doesn't have. You shouldn't have more than 10 schools on your list.

In general, you have a fantastic shot. The 2022 data show there were 359 NC applicants that filled 180 spots.

Keep checking in with us before you apply!
Wow. Thank you for so much for your advice!

First of all, there is a good chance that ECU may not look at me as favorably just due to mission statement conflict as I have lived in Uptown Charlotte for the majority of my life and the fact that I advertise that I want to go to UNC.

I am have also considered HPSP and NHSC, but I have no idea how it will conflict with the possibility that I want to go into a specialty in the future. From my understanding of how merit based scholarships usually are, they usually cover a year or two of school at most, but it really depends on the school and if I am eligible to be an in-state student.

What would be the best way to network with OOS dental schools? The commute to the nearest OOS schools would be very difficult not even considering all of the North East schools.

how did you come up with this list?
A friend told me to make a “perfect” dental school under different categories and find dental schools that align with what I want. Truthfully outside of ECU and UNC, I haven’t done much research about things like their culture and facilities as of yet.

Curriculum:
  • pass/fail (prefer)
  • Focus on technical skills
  • Early start to clinical
  • Focus on doctor/patient interaction
  • Relatively affordable
  • Good faculty

• East coast
  • San Francisco (UCSF)
  • Somewhat low cost of living
  • Somewhat close to family (Northeast, Southeast, California)
  • In-state (UNC/ECU)

Opportunities:
  • Research in perio/OMFS
  • Interesting student organizations
  • strong advisors/faculty interaction
  • Volunteering

Specialization (if I want to go into any):
  • High matching rates
  • Has residency programs that i might be interested in (perio/OMFS)

Culture/environment:
  • Collaborative work between students
  • Good student orgs
  • Non-cutthroat culture
  • Things to do outside of school (intramural sports, fun surrounding city/town)
  • I prefer a medium class size (70-80), but it doesn’t matter that much
  • Diversity
  • Community service

Facilities:
  • Technology that enhances my education

I have also considered HPSP and NHSC, but I have no idea how it will conflict with the possibility that I want to go into a specialty in the future.
HPSP: This is where you need to reach out to recruiters. Do a search on the forums here about it; we have a lot of people posting about HPSP and dental school specialties. Specializing is not a problem.

Ask around with NHSC, which has a different goal to address healthcare disparities and underserved communities. Dentists are in great need at MUA's/DUA's.

A friend told me to make a “perfect” dental school under different categories and find dental schools that align with what I want. Truthfully outside of ECU and UNC, I haven’t done much research about things like their culture and facilities as of yet.

Curriculum:
  • pass/fail (prefer)
  • Relatively affordable
  • Good faculty

• East coast
  • San Francisco (UCSF)
  • In-state (UNC/ECU)

Opportunities:
  • Research in perio/OMFS
  • Volunteering

• High matching rates

Culture/environment:
  • Good student orgs
  • Non-cutthroat culture
  • Diversity
  • Community service

Facilities:
I will let the current dental students and recent graduates comment on the list specifically and what they now feel are the most important categories. As it stands it's a nice wishlist, but everything's thrown against a wall. What's really important to you when it comes to proximity to family or where you ultimately want to practice? What resources are available jointly with the state dental association? Are faculty involved in leadership or editorial positions with ADEA, IADR, or other academic/specialty associations? Which graduates are profiled as members of the school's board of trustees/overseers and how do they mentor students? Do young dentists (up to 10 years post-graduation) pay off their student debts and start contributing back to the dental school?

From what I have heard from past students, the chief concern is getting as much patient-facing experience where you are doing procedures regularly is the most important. You need to come out of dental school with a level of confidence that you are willing to learn how to do procedures more efficiently and comfortably. You want to be earning positive income as quickly as possible when it comes to building your independent skills. Make a name for yourself for the precision and excellence of your work so that others can refer trouble cases to you.

Consequently, which curriculum and clinic management system allows you to schedule your patients, to get limited exposure to specialty procedures (not necessarily do them... let the residents do their jobs), and get constructive feedback from supportive preceptors whose grades will govern how busy you get to be (the better you are, the more work they may throw to you within fairness). What is the transition to clinic like?

Curriculum:
  • pass/fail (prefer)
  • Relatively affordable
  • Good faculty

• East coast
  • San Francisco (UCSF)
  • In-state (UNC/ECU)

Opportunities:
  • Research in perio/OMFS
  • Volunteering

• High matching rates

Culture/environment:
  • Good student orgs
  • Non-cutthroat culture
  • Diversity
  • Community service

Facilities:
you need to do more research on schools and look for mission fit
this will help you narrow down your list
depending on your dat, you should be able to refine your list
how long your final list will depend on your dat score and how many reaches you have...

I will let the current dental students and recent graduates comment on the list specifically and what they now feel are the most important categories. As it stands it's a nice wishlist, but everything's thrown against a wall. What's really important to you when it comes to proximity to family or where you ultimately want to practice? What resources are available jointly with the state dental association? Are faculty involved in leadership or editorial positions with ADEA, IADR, or other academic/specialty associations? Which graduates are profiled as members of the school's board of trustees/overseers and how do they mentor students? Do young dentists (up to 10 years post-graduation) pay off their student debts and start contributing back to the dental school?

From what I have heard from past students, the chief concern is getting as much patient-facing experience where you are doing procedures regularly is the most important. You need to come out of dental school with a level of confidence that you are willing to learn how to do procedures more efficiently and comfortably. You want to be earning positive income as quickly as possible when it comes to building your independent skills. Make a name for yourself for the precision and excellence of your work so that others can refer trouble cases to you.

Consequently, which curriculum and clinic management system allows you to schedule your patients, to get limited exposure to specialty procedures (not necessarily do them... let the residents do their jobs), and get constructive feedback from supportive preceptors whose grades will govern how busy you get to be (the better you are, the more work they may throw to you within fairness). What is the transition to clinic like?
Hey, I've researched the different schools I originally posted and updated my list. I ranked them in how I would choose them based on COA and the program itself. I know I can probably be picky if I do well (~95%) on the DAT, but I am happy to attend any of these schools. Any thoughts about some of these schools?

1. UNC (IS)
2. ECU (IS)
3. Michigan
4. Temple
5. UCSF
6. UPenn
7. Harvard
8. Columbia
9. UMD
10. MUSC
11. Pitt
12. VCU
13. Rutgers
14. Augusta

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, I've researched the different schools I originally posted and updated my list. I ranked them in how I would choose them based on COA and the program itself. I know I can probably be picky if I do well (~95%) on the DAT, but I am happy to attend any of these schools. Any thoughts about some of these schools?

1. UNC (IS)
2. ECU (IS)
3. Michigan
4. Temple
5. UCSF
6. UPenn
7. Harvard
8. Columbia
9. UMD
10. MUSC
11. Pitt
12. VCU
13. Rutgers
14. Augusta
list is better now
the amount of schools you apply to will depend on your dat scores and how many reach schools you have
right now you have 6...

Reactions: 1 user