WAMC 23-24. Any advice for School lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kysui2325

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
How to format your WAMC thread:

Suggested information to include when creating a WAMC thread are as follows:

Date of submission: 23-24. Probably in the beginning or middle of this June.
Overall GPA: 3.22 --> Things to consider: I had all A (4.0) in graduate school. In undergraduate, after I had changed my major from chemistry to psychology, I had all A except for Organic Chemistry II (B+) and Nutrition (A-). I have 10 A+. Hopefully, it excuses abit for old failed semesters with multiple F and D.
Science GPA: 3.14
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.06
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
I may schedule to take it in either July 18 or 28. But lets say if I have average DAT score like 20 or 21 AA.
State of Residence: Nevada

Undergrad Attended:
University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign
Major: Psychology concentrating on cognitive Neuroscience. Graduate major: Biomedical Science (master's degree)
Minor: no Minor
Minority? No. I am an asian.
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? I think yes since I took leave of absence for 3 or 4 years.

Shadowing Experience: About 211 hours in total from general dentists in Roseman University and a private general dentist.
Volunteering Experience: About 150 hours in a hospice (Taking care of elderly with dementia)
Employment: About 8745 hours in the oriental medical clinic as an Unlicensed Assistive Personnel.
Research: 0 research
Other Extracurriculars: Squash in high school (960 hr), Jazz Band as a pianist in high school (208 hr), Farming (250 hr), Music performance club as a sound engineering (36 hr only due to covid), Church outreach in China, Indonesia, Jeju Island, and Japan (1 or 2 weeks each), Squash Club (624 hr)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Varsity Squash in high school. Merit-Based Academic Scholarship in undergraduate. Dean's Lists for three semester in Undergraduate. 3 Dean's Lists in high school. Physics Award in high school.
LOR type and strength: 3 LOR from science professors (1 very strong, 1 kind of strong, 1 mild or weak). 1 LOR from a general dentist.
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
Academic probation from poor academic performance in 2015 and 2016.
School list:
Priority schools

Oregon Health & Science University (where I want to live in the future)

University of Washington (Kind of dream school and where I want to live in the future)

University of Nevada Las Vegas (In state school)

Other schools
Tufts University (Have connection with the Graduate University)
Rutger’s University (sister is attending for DDS & DDM)
New York University (brother graduated as a general dentist)
Roseman University (brother graduated as a specializing orthodontist)
University of California, Los Angeles
University of Pacific
Columbia University
Creighton University
University of Pittsburgh

I may change or add more in other schools lists. I am planning to apply for 13 or 14 schools or maybe more? since I am taking DAT abit late and so will end up getting whole application process done abit late. I basically chose area in upper west (my wish to live in the future), upper east (used to stay for long time), and around Nevada. I feel like lists above may be too risky and difficult for me since I will submit application before I take DAT. I am considering U of Minnesota, U of Penn, Marquette, Touro University, Case western, University of Buffalo as well but not sure yet. But I am open to other options too. So I need some advice, considering if I will have kind of average DAT score. Thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

Overall GPA: 3.22 --> Things to consider: I had all A (4.0) in graduate school. In undergraduate, after I had changed my major from chemistry to psychology, I had all A except for Organic Chemistry II (B+) and Nutrition (A-). I have 10 A+. Hopefully, it excuses abit for old failed semesters with multiple F and D.
I may schedule to take it in either July 18 or 28. But lets say if I have average DAT score like 20 or 21 AA.

Undergrad Attended:
Major: Psychology concentrating on cognitive Neuroscience. Graduate major: Biomedical Science (master's degree)
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: About 211 hours in total from general dentists in Roseman University and a private general dentist.
Volunteering Experience: About 150 hours in a hospice (Taking care of elderly with dementia)
Employment: About 8745 hours in the oriental medical clinic as an Unlicensed Assistive Personnel.
Other Extracurriculars: Squash in high school (960 hr), Jazz Band as a pianist in high school (208 hr), Farming (250 hr), Music performance club as a sound engineering (36 hr only due to covid), Church outreach in China, Indonesia, Jeju Island, and Japan (1 or 2 weeks each), Squash Club (624 hr)
Relevant Honors or Awards: Varsity Squash in high school. Merit-Based Academic Scholarship in undergraduate. Dean's Lists for three semester in Undergraduate. 3 Dean's Lists in high school. Physics Award in high school.
LOR type and strength: 3 LOR from science professors (1 very strong, 1 kind of strong, 1 mild or weak). 1 LOR from a general dentist.
School list:
Priority schools

University of Washington (Kind of dream school and where I want to live in the future)

Other schools
University of Pacific
Columbia University
Creighton University
University of Pittsburgh

I may change or add more in other schools lists. I am planning to apply for 13 or 14 schools or maybe more? since I am taking DAT abit late and so will end up getting whole application process done abit late. I basically chose area in upper west (my wish to live in the future), upper east (used to stay for long time), and around Nevada. I feel like lists above may be too risky and difficult for me since I will submit application before I take DAT. I am considering U of Minnesota, U of Penn, Marquette, Touro University, Case western, University of Buffalo as well but not sure yet. But I am open to other options too. So I need some advice, considering if I will have kind of average DAT score. Thank you very much!
have you shadowed/volunteered/attended events at any d schools?

I have shadowed at Roseman University, and I attended mentor and mentee program virtually in Tufts University.

Members don't see this ad :)

Undergrad Attended:
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? I think yes since I took leave of absence for 3 or 4 years.

School list:
Priority schools

is

Other schools
University of Pacific
Columbia University
Creighton University
University of Pittsburgh

ivies are gonna be tough with your UG GPA, but your graduate GPA will help
UOP loves high dat scores
and UW has accepted all very high stat OOS people in the last 2 years, and they mostly all matriculated, despite the HIGH cost
and UCLA is extremely competitive also
if these schools are on your list, you need to increase your application total...

I have shadowed at Roseman University, and I attended mentor and mentee program virtually in Tufts University.
excellent
for some reason, most here don't do any of this...

Reactions: 1 user
excellent
for some reason, most here don't do any of this...
you should look into getting involved at UNLV
this should be your MAIN priority school...

Reactions: 1 users
You have a sibling at Rutgers, so aside from UNLV, you need to talk with them. No guarantees for any admissions actions, but if your sister is doing very well there, you never know. Get your faculty from your SMP to support you.

And nail that DAT.