WAMC 26-27, CA resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

predents230

New Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello,
I just got my second DAT score back today and I just don't know what to do. I'm aware that my DAT score is what is going to prevent my chances of getting into dental school. My first test I told myself i'm going to do better and I've been studying again for 6 months while balancing school (I just recently graduated and took my test 3 weeks after graduation). After seeing my score, I'm baffled because I was scoring 450's on Booster, which was an improvement from the first time, I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar, so I try my best to work super hard. The goal was to submit end of July before August, but I don't know how to proceed. I was thinking about retaking the DAT for the 3rd time, which the only way I'm able to take is in September, but by the time my score comes out I feel that's already too late in the cycle. I am freaking out, because I've been working up to this moment for the last four years and I just feel like I'm hitting a wall. Please if anyone can give me advice on what to do.

Date of submission: (I should be submitting by now but I dont know what to do)
Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.35
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.35
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
First Attempt

  • AA: 390
  • TS: 370
  • Biology: 360
  • General Chemistry: 370
  • Organic Chemistry: 370
  • Reading Comprehension: 450
  • Quantitative Reasoning: 410
  • Perceptual Ability: 400

Second Attempt
  • AA: 380
  • TS: 380
  • Biology: 400
  • General Chemistry: 340
  • Organic Chemistry: 400
  • Reading Comprehension: 400
  • Quantitative Reasoning: 380
  • Perceptual Ability: 420

  • State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: UCLA
Major: Biology
Minor: None
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No (first time)
Nontrad?
Yes (taking 1 gap year)

Shadowing Experience: 120 (general) 50 (mix of cosmetic, implant, and restorative)
Volunteering Experience:
500+ (community dental clinic as a DA)
Employment: 500+ hours working as a DA in a private clinic
Research: 100+ hours, 1 publication, 5 research presentations
Other Extracurriculars:
President of Pre-dental club, and also board on other healthcare releated clubs
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes, multiple predental school events at UCSF & UCLA SOD
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Honor (x2 quarters)

LOR type and strength:
2 science professors, 1 non-science professor, 1 PI/research mentor (UCLA School of Dentistry), 1 implant dentist (employer), I have worked closely with each recommender over an extended period, and I believe my letters are strong.


Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:
UCLA, UCSF, UOP, WesternU, AT Arizona, Midwestern Arizona, Roseman, OHSU, Touro, NYU, BU, Tufts, Temple, LECOM
 
Hello,
I just got my second DAT score back today and I just don't know what to do. I'm aware that my DAT score is what is going to prevent my chances of getting into dental school. My first test I told myself i'm going to do better and I've been studying again for 6 months while balancing school (I just recently graduated and took my test 3 weeks after graduation). After seeing my score, I'm baffled because I was scoring 450's on Booster, which was an improvement from the first time, I'm not the smartest cookie in the jar, so I try my best to work super hard. The goal was to submit end of July before August, but I don't know how to proceed. I was thinking about retaking the DAT for the 3rd time, which the only way I'm able to take is in September, but by the time my score comes out I feel that's already too late in the cycle. I am freaking out, because I've been working up to this moment for the last four years and I just feel like I'm hitting a wall. Please if anyone can give me advice on what to do.

Date of submission: (I should be submitting by now but I dont know what to do)
Overall GPA: 3.54
Science GPA: 3.35
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.35
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
First Attempt

  • AA: 390
  • TS: 370
  • Biology: 360
  • General Chemistry: 370
  • Organic Chemistry: 370
  • Reading Comprehension: 450
  • Quantitative Reasoning: 410
  • Perceptual Ability: 400

Second Attempt
  • AA: 380
  • TS: 380
  • Biology: 400
  • General Chemistry: 340
  • Organic Chemistry: 400
  • Reading Comprehension: 400
  • Quantitative Reasoning: 380
  • Perceptual Ability: 420

  • State of Residence: California

Undergrad Attended: UCLA
Major: Biology
Minor: None
Minority?
No
Reapplicant? No (first time)
Nontrad?
Yes (taking 1 gap year)

Shadowing Experience: 120 (general) 50 (mix of cosmetic, implant, and restorative)
Volunteering Experience:
500+ (community dental clinic as a DA)
Employment: 500+ hours working as a DA in a private clinic
Research: 100+ hours, 1 publication, 5 research presentations
Other Extracurriculars:
President of Pre-dental club, and also board on other healthcare releated clubs
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Yes, multiple predental school events at UCSF & UCLA SOD
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's Honor (x2 quarters)

LOR type and strength:
2 science professors, 1 non-science professor, 1 PI/research mentor (UCLA School of Dentistry), 1 implant dentist (employer), I have worked closely with each recommender over an extended period, and I believe my letters are strong.


Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags:
School list:
UCLA, UCSF, UOP, WesternU, AT Arizona, Midwestern Arizona, Roseman, OHSU, Touro, NYU, BU, Tufts, Temple, LECOM
well, you have enough knowledge if you are a predental club president to know that UCSF/UCLA/UOP are huge reaches at this point, and even your safety schools are not safe
what you do depends on if you think you can improve your score in less than 2 months...
 
well, you have enough knowledge if you are a predental club president to know that UCSF/UCLA/UOP are huge reaches at this point, and even your safety schools are not safe
what you do depends on if you think you can improve your score in less than 2 months...
I agree with you what I have does feel like such a reach for everything. Do you think its a good idea to submit now and let the schools know that I will be retaking my DAT in September or would it be better to take a second gap year?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with you what I have does feel like such a reach for everything. Do you think its a good idea to submit now and let the schools know that I will be retaking my DAT in September or would it be better to take a second gap year?
once again
what you do depends on if you think you can improve your score in less than 2 months...
 
When did you take the DAT the first time?

A third DAT retake in a short period of time is not a great look. It happens, but you have to really kill the DAT to make us overlook the earlier scores.

These articles focus on the MCAT, but it is still wise to consider...
 
When did you take the DAT the first time?

A third DAT retake in a short period of time is not a great look. It happens, but you have to really kill the DAT to make us overlook the earlier scores.

These articles focus on the MCAT, but it is still wise to consider...
The first time was back in February during the school year and then second time was recently July 10. I was plannign to take it last summer 2025, but I had family/personal issues so ended up moving to February. Thank you for your feedback! I think maybe a second gap year would be best, so I have a more solid time studying for the DAT!