WAMC 2nd time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calliesmom2014

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Schools I want to apply to: Ohio State (in-state, offered interview last cycle but was ultimately rejected), Purdue (rejected outright last cycle), Louisiana State, Florida, Iowa State, Illinois, Missouri, Arizona?, Kansas, any other recommendations???

Degrees: BS in Animal Science

cGPA: 3.79
Science GPA: probably around a 3.8? VMCAS calculated it as a 3.7 last round but has gone up.
Last 45 GPA: 3.73

GRE: 312 overall, 155 qualitative, 157 quantitative, 4 on writing.

Vet Experiences:
Worked as a small animal vet assistant for 3 years (current job)
Have farm experience in food animals and equine
Shadowed a ER vet
Shadowed a shelter vet
Hope to gain some exotic or research experience this coming year (my small animal vet does some exotics)

Animal Experiences:
Animal shelter volunteer for 5 years
Kennel manager in a vet clinic for 2 years
Research project on cat vocal harmonics
-presented research at a symposium
Grooming assistant for 1 year
Worked in a retail pet store for 1 year

Volunteer:
Church volunteer (around 10 hrs)
Relay for Life volunteer for 3 years (lead the club)

Honors/Awards:
Dean's list every semester
Awarded top 5% of my class sophomore year
Member of an honor society
Alumni scholarship and honors scholarship

Letters of recommendation:
2 vets I work with and 1 professor who is also my advisor

What should I improve on? What schools should I add/remove based on my stats? And what are my chances this round? I really do not want to have to apply a 3rd time so any advice is appreciated! Thank you! Side note-thoughts on Arizona CVM?

Members don't see this ad.

Schools I want to apply to: Ohio State (in-state, offered interview last cycle but was ultimately rejected), Purdue (rejected outright last cycle), Louisiana State, Florida, Iowa State, Illinois, Missouri, Arizona?, Kansas, any other recommendations???

Degrees: BS in Animal Science

cGPA: 3.79
Science GPA: probably around a 3.8? VMCAS calculated it as a 3.7 last round but has gone up.
Last 45 GPA: 3.73

GRE: 312 overall, 155 qualitative, 157 quantitative, 4 on writing.

Vet Experiences:
Worked as a small animal vet assistant for 3 years (current job)
Have farm experience in food animals and equine
Shadowed a ER vet
Shadowed a shelter vet
Hope to gain some exotic or research experience this coming year (my small animal vet does some exotics)

Animal Experiences:
Animal shelter volunteer for 5 years
Kennel manager in a vet clinic for 2 years
Research project on cat vocal harmonics
-presented research at a symposium
Grooming assistant for 1 year
Worked in a retail pet store for 1 year

Volunteer:
Church volunteer (around 10 hrs)
Relay for Life volunteer for 3 years (lead the club)

Honors/Awards:
Dean's list every semester
Awarded top 5% of my class sophomore year
Member of an honor society
Alumni scholarship and honors scholarship

Letters of recommendation:
2 vets I work with and 1 professor who is also my advisor

What should I improve on? What schools should I add/remove based on my stats? And what are my chances this round? I really do not want to have to apply a 3rd time so any advice is appreciated! Thank you! Side note-thoughts on Arizona CVM?

Did you do file reviews with the schools you applied to last year? They would be able to provide the best advice on what to improve on, especially because I honestly do not see anything about your stats that would suggest you shouldn't get in.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you do file reviews with the schools you applied to last year? They would be able to provide the best advice on what to improve on, especially because I honestly do not see anything about your stats that would suggest you shouldn't get in.
110% agree. Nothing on the surface is obvious. Going off of this I would imagine it's something in your essays or LORs that are holding you back. Ohio might have just been your interview didn't go well. I guess are you also including things like enjoying hiking etc to show you're a more rounded applicant? Definitely a file review is your best bet here.