WAMC 2nd time applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

serendipity14

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys!! Im planning on applying to vet schools again this cycle. I’ve come up with a bunch of different ways to improve my app from last cycle (I’ve listed them throughout this summary). I also wanted some advice based on my stats of where you guys think good options would be for me to apply to (preferably without needing to take the GRE) Thank you in advance :)

24 y/o female Florida resident (I’m moving this summer from NY, so excited!!)

Applying to: UF (IS), Virginia-Maryland, UPenn, Michigan State, St. George’s (this is about as far as I’ve gotten list wise, Im looking to apply to maybe around 6-7 schools)

Cumulative GPA: 3.2
Science GPA: 3.07
Last 45: 3.7
(only estimates for now, I’m including the classes I’m taking this summer if i do well in them)
(I’ve retaken courses so since MSU does grade replacement my science GPA will probably be around a 3.2-3.3 for them)

Any degrees achieved: BS Biology

GRE: never taken, preferably won’t for this cycle either!

Veterinary Experience:
-5200+ hours as a veterinary assistant/technician at private animal hospital. work with three small animal doctors and one small animal/exotics doctor

-120 hours at New York Aquarium shadowing the veterinarians and vet techs. Mostly I was just shadowing exams and training but I also got to monitor vitals for two dental procedures on seals which was AMAZING!

-I’m looking for an emergency hospital to shadow hours with until I leave for Florida! So I’ll do that from April-July if all goes well.

Animal Experience:
-120 hours working with adoptions & rescue cats in a cat cafe
-200 hours working with potential adopters & rescue dogs/cats in a large non-profit shelter (North Shore Animal League America)
-Looking for a position to work with farm animals, may be veterinary or animal experience Im not sure yet!
-Was planning on taking a trip to the Best Friends Sanctuary in Utah for a week of volunteering. They have ~1600 dogs, cats, and farms animals. I’ve heard it’s a super rewarding and amazing experience.

Awards/scholarships:
- Gamma Sigma Alpha National Honor Society
- Honors List for Senior Year (3.71 GPA each term)

Extracurriculars/Volunteer:
-President & Founder of Pre-Veterinary Club
-Alpha Sigma Alpha Sorority, held position on new member education board for Spring 2020
-Surfrider Foundation
-Relay for Life
-League of Yes
-Girls on the Run

Employment:
- Still holding a veterinary assistant position in small animal hospital
- Barista at Starbucks
- Barista & Cat Handler in a cat cafe

Letter of Recommendations:
-Boss & Veterinarian at small animal hospital
-Veterinarian at my small animal hospital that I learned exotics under
-Calculus Professor that I had twice in my undergrad studies
-Senior advisor from my undergrad institution

Summarize any concerns you have
-My gpa is my biggest concern. Im confident in my last 45 gpa but I am super worried about my science GPA. Since I have a Biology degree already as well I would need to take many, many classes or even a masters to get it to a desirable GPA :(

Thank you so much if you got this far!! Please let me know any advice, recommendations, personal thoughts :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It’s good that you are looking to diversify your vet experiences. Ideally, getting experience in multiple areas of vetmed (eg Oncology, Equine, food animal, mixed animal, ER, lab animal) would be helpful but not always necessary of course.

Have you looked for certain schools that put more weight into last 30/45 GPA?

Reactions: 1 users
It’s good that you are looking to diversify your vet experiences. Ideally, getting experience in multiple areas of vetmed (eg Oncology, Equine, food animal, mixed animal, ER, lab animal) would be helpful but not always necessary of course.

Have you looked for certain schools that put more weight into last 30/45 GPA?

Yes Im super excited to start diversifying my experiences!! I have heard Michigan State, Minnesota, and LSU all focus on last 45 greatly! Do you know of any others?