WAMC 3.40/515 MD & DO (career changer)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alicante

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
· cGPA: 3.40, GPA: 3.45
· MCAT: 515(129/127/130/126 on AAMC Practice Test, taking real MCAT on May 18)
· White female, NY Resident
· Clinical Experiences:
1. Medical Assistant: 500 hours, ongoing full-time job that I will continue during my gap year. Hands on clinical experience doing patient intake (vitals & histories, presented to physician before exam) and doing basic clinical procedures (X-ray, EKG, Respiratory procedures (spirometry, nebulizer treatment for asthma) bloodwork, visual acuity test, routine lab tests: Urinalysis/Strep/Flu/Throat Cultures, etc) One of my LORs is from the Nurse Practitioner I work most closely with on the job.
2. Patient Advocacy Volunteer at Bellevue Hospital: 110 hours. Rotating shifts between pediatric and adult emergency. My primary responsibility was transporting the patients across various wings of the hospital and accompanying them to examinations/ procedures. Chaperoned pelvic exams for female patients. Assisted with set-up for procedure rooms and IV set-up.
· Research Experience: Undergraduate internship at a biochemical research lab in MSKCC, ~600 hours. My research focused on the role of epichaperome networks in cancer therapies. I prepared sample lysates and grew cell cultures, and conducted assays to measure how therapeutic drugs affected tumor protein behaviors. I have tentative middle-authorship when I apply, if the research gets published by this summer (fingers crossed!!!). One of my LORs is from the PI.
· Non-Clinical Volunteering:
1. 250 hours of community service as a member of the Alpha Phi Omega community service fraternity on my campus. We work with underserved populations in our city, assisting with projects like shelter cleanups, home repainting, food pantry drives, and tech literacy workshops.
2. Relay for Life Chair, on behalf of Fraternity(100 hours): tabled campus events to raise cancer awareness and raise funds for the American Cancer Society, led card-making workshops for children with cancer & initiated donor registry drives on campus
· Other Extracurricular activities:
1. Early Learning Instructor at Kumon (~500 hours): taught young ESL students (ages 2-10) reading & math skills to help them adjust academically to US public school environments: it was here that I became inspired to pursue pediatrics J
2. Writing Mentorship Program (50 hours): semester-long partnership with a special needs high school student to write together, and improve his English and Academic
3. TA for Intro to Web Design & Computer Principles (~500 hours): graded coding assignments and tutored students in basic computer languages
· Relevant Honors or awards: 2 years on Dean’s List (sophomore and junior year)
· Other info: Not sure if this helps my case at all, but my GPA had a strong upward trend, going from a 2.5 freshman year to 3.80+ for the next 2 years (Senior year, went down slightly to 3.5 when my classes got harder & I had to start working to support my education :/) My GPA reflects a shift from my initial Math/Economics major that I was disinterested in, to a strong interest in pre-med (Unfortunately the applied math classes count in AMCAS sGPA, hence the lack of a big difference between cGPA and sGPA :/)
· School List: Applying both MD & DO! Would like to know if I should eliminate any of these, if there’s any newer or low-tier MD programs I should consider, and what DO schools I should include (Especially: which DO schools are best for someone interested in pediatric care?)

MD List:
1. New York Medical College
2. Albany College
3. SUNY Downstate
4. SUNY Upstate
5. Jacobs School of Medicine (Buffalo Uni)
6. Rutgers
7. Cooper-Rowan
8. Howard
9. Drexel
10. Temple
11. Rosalind Franklin
12. Carle Illinois College of Medicine
13. Quinnipiac
14. Eastern Virginia Medical School
15. Meharry Medical College
16. Morehouse School of Medicine
17. Tulane University