WAMC 3.6/517

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TradClimber

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN. I applied to 28 MD schools (no DO schools) in the 2021-2022 cycle and completed 25 secondaries, but received no interviews. Thinking of applying DO only this time, as I don't think there's anything I can do to improve my application and reapply to MD.
  1. cGPA: 3.6. sGPA: 3.5.
  2. MCAT: 517 (128/129/130/130) in September 2020, 506 a few years back
  3. State of residence: CA
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: white male
  5. Undergraduate institution: University of California school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): 4000 hours ED scribe, 1500 hours specialty clinic scribe, 200 hours pediatric ICU volunteer, 200 hours pediatric ED volunteer
  7. Research experience: 1 quarter of research a few years ago
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: ~100 hours shadowing in the OR, trauma surgery, general surgery
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: 500 hours domestic violence counselor volunteer, 100 hours learning assistant at UC
  10. Other extracurricular activities: vice president of fraternity, on board of directors of family business
  11. CASPER 4th quartile
  12. In addition to my science degree, I have an English degree, and spent a significant amount of time writing my personal statement and activities sections
2022-2023 school list:
AZCOM
ATSU-SOMA
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
DMUCOM
KCUCOM

2021-2022 school list already applied to:
Albert Einstein
Boston
Drexel
EVMS
Dartmouth
GW
Georgetown
Keck
Temple
MCW
NYMC
Larner
Jefferson
TCU
Brown
Tufts
Tulane
USF Morsani
UCD
UCI
UCLA
UCSD
UCSF
Cincinnati
Miami
VCU
Wayne State
Western Michigan

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Was the significant clinical experience gained during 21-22, or was it already there when you applied?

Was the significant clinical experience gained during 21-22, or was it already there when you applied?
All the clinical experience was there when I applied. Everything in my first post was part of the app.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you remind me when you submitted your application? I think you submitted in July for many applications. The numbers are there, so the issue sounds like it's embedded in your application somehow with your essays, secondaries or letters. It's odd to me that you had absolutely no response. You did spend a real long time working, so did you graduate 3 years ago from school (so all your courses are in with grades)? What do your references think? How about students at the schools that are near the top of your list?

Could you remind me when you submitted your application? I think you submitted in July for many applications. The numbers are there, so the issue sounds like it's embedded in your application somehow with your essays, secondaries or letters. It's odd to me that you had absolutely no response. You did spend a real long time working, so did you graduate 3 years ago from school (so all your courses are in with grades)? What do your references think? How about students at the schools that are near the top of your list?
Submitted 6/18/21, verified 7/21/21. Yes, all of the grades were posted and they are factored into the 3.6/3.5.

I do have an IA for a misconduct allegation (not academic), and I got extensive help from SDN and others in responding to this on the application. It's a bit sensitive in nature so I can't explain much more on a public forum, but I did post about it in the confidential consult. Unfortunately the IA is not something I can do much about. I have no criminal record whatsoever.

All the physicians I talked to at my job seemed to think I had a decent shot, as did my friends who are currently medical students.

Do you have a downward trend for your GPA? As Mr. Smile said, the problem likely could be in your essays and descriptions in either the primary or secondary, as well as your letters.

If the IA involved a physical situation between you and another person, many schools may have passed on you given your lower sGPA. Though you did say you received help here on addressing the IA, so it must not have sounded like a large red flag.

Additional DO schools to apply to:

Western
NYIT
PCOM
KCOM
Marian
Campbell

Do you have a downward trend for your GPA? As Mr. Smile said, the problem likely could be in your essays and descriptions in either the primary or secondary, as well as your letters.

If the IA involved a physical situation between you and another person, many schools may have passed on you given your lower sGPA. Though you did say you received help here on addressing the IA, so it must not have sounded like a large red flag.

Additional DO schools to apply to:

Western
NYIT
PCOM
KCOM
Marian
Campbell
My GPA trend was 3.2/3.5/3.6/4.0.

I did focus a lot of my personal statement on an international medical volunteer trip that I had organized myself. Only after the fact did I realize why these kinds of trips are frowned upon.

My GPA trend was 3.2/3.5/3.6/4.0.

I did focus a lot of my personal statement on an international medical volunteer trip that I had organized myself. Only after the fact did I realize why these kinds of trips are frowned upon.
I would not make any mention of the international medical volunteer trip for the reasons you have learned. You have plenty of experience as a scribe and ICU volunteer now that can give you a strong answer for why medicine. Likewise, check your secondaries for any problems.

You can also try MD again along with DO, but revise your answers to secondaries and the activity descriptions in AMCAS. Avoid resume like language and try to have more detailed anecdotes where appropriate. That’s usually difficult for many applicants but your English degree background should help. See Dr. Ryan Gray’s examples on his YouTube videos (Application Renovation and Mission Success).

MD List:
Albany
Drexel
EVMS
GW
Georgetown
Temple
MCW
NYMC
Larner
Jefferson
Tulane
USF Morsani
UCD (only if from Central CA or surrounding areas, not SoCal)
UCI
VCU
Wayne State
Western Michigan
Oakland
Hackensack
Nova MD