WAMC: 3.75 cGPA, 3.82 sGPA, 514 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UserNameIsTitan

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

Very excited to finally be at the point of applying and was looking to get some outside opinion on rounding out my school list. My primary was already submitted with a few schools that I knew I would be applying to regardless, but I finally got my MCAT score back recently and I'm looking to add the rest of my schools now that I have the full picture.

1. cGPA and sGPA: cGPA: 3.75 sGPA: 3.82
  2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 514 (129,126,130,129)
  3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): rural NW
  4. Ethnicity and/or race: White, ORM, disadvantaged per AMCAS
  5. Undergraduate institution or category: CC/non-big name state school
  6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): Hospital (Paid): ~1000 hours completed, directly clinical with hands-on patient care; Out of hospital (Paid): well over 10000 hours with several thousand more projected, also clinical with direct patient care; Out of hospital (volunteer): ~2000 hours in similar role just as an unpaid volunteer
  7. Research experience and productivity: ~1500 hours with a similar number projected; current research is clinical adjacent with direct applicability to patient care/public health; no publications in the works but multiple oral and poster presentations (mostly low impact, but one large national conference)
  8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Hard to truly estimate because of my clinical background but ~200ish hours to throw a number out there; wide range of specialties including FM, EM, GAS, several surgical subspecialties, Peds, IM/interventional cards
  9. Non-clinical volunteering: ~1000 hours; public outreach organization that focused primarily on public safety and service to underserved; involved aiding with and hosting various functions (think Coats for Kids drives etc.) as well as renovation of some community buildings
  10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc): Several leadership positions: held leadership position with volunteer organization for several years, am in a supervisory position in my clinical field, and served in an elected role for a student organization; several years of tutoring experience in various bio/chem/psych topics as well as being an A&P TA for a year; involved in several clubs with nothing too notable to report other than participating in publishing a small international document as part of a larger parent organization.
  11. Relevant honors or awards: Several small scholarships; Selected as most outstanding graduating senior for both of my bachelor's degree programs; Peer-selected for small humanitarian award from volunteer organization.
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important: I'm looking at MD only for this cycle (nothing against DOs, y'all are awesome! I just think MD is the route that fits me better at this time. I'm still open to DO suggestions if anyone thinks they are super great fits though); My state has no in-state option but I have significant ties to WA. I have no specific preference for any particular field at this time, but it is important to me to keep my options open in the event that I fall in love with a more competitive field. In-house research options are important to me but other than that I am open to going just about anywhere.
I apologize for keeping everything so vague, I may be able to provide more info by PM if necessary but don't want to dox myself by oversharing. I am looking to apply to a total of 40 schools when all is said and done. Please feel free to offer suggestions as well as argue in favor or against any of my current selections. Several schools were already submitted and won't be changing but the rest are up for debate.

School List (in no particular order):

1. Cincinnati
  2. Quinnipiac
  3. Albany
  4. Rush
  5. Penn State
  6. Jefferson
  7. UCF
  8. USF
  9. OHSU
  10. Colorado
  11. Arizona-Tucson
  12. Arizona-Phoenix
  13. Washington
  14. Utah
  15. Western Michigan
  16. Michigan State
  17. Hofstra
  18. Dartmouth
  19. Pitt
  20. Northwestern
  21. Mayo
  22. Stanford
  23. WashU
  24. UCSF
  25. UCLA
All other spots are very undecided so suggestions are very welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Read if applicable
Thanks for the resource! Rural health is certainly a path under consideration but it's also important to me to keep my options open. I am absolutely interested in programs that focus on rural health and healthcare accessibility but I am inclined to look into programs that also would provide the ability to attend clinical sites in urban centers with higher patient acuity and opportunities to experience the full gamut of medicine. Research availability is also an important factor to me in the event that I decide to pursue a more competitive specialty. Above all else my ideal school is one that provides the opportunities to pursue any direction I may decide on once I matriculate.

Members don't see this ad :)
PM me your state of residence as some schools in the NW have different policies depending on the exact state of residence.

Schools like Michigan State, UCF, and the Arizonas take few OOS students without ties. I would not recommend applying to WashU and Stanford with where your stats are at.

PM me your state of residence as some schools in the NW have different policies depending on the exact state of residence.

Schools like Michigan State, UCF, and the Arizonas take few OOS students without ties. I would not recommend applying to WashU and Stanford with where your stats are at.
Thanks for the feedback, PM sent.

I suggest:

Washington
Utah
Quinnipiac
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Hackensack
Jefferson
Vermont
Tufts (see the Maine program)
Boston
Penn State
Rush
Loyola
Northwestern
MCW
Saint Louis (SLU)
Creighton
Western Michigan
Mayo
EVMS
VCU
Wake
Emory
Miami
Colorado
UCSF

You should not need to apply to more than 30 or so schools as I expect you will get multiple interviews from the above list.

I suggest:

Washington
Utah
Quinnipiac
Albany
Einstein
Rochester
Hofstra
Dartmouth
Hackensack
Jefferson
Vermont
Tufts (see the Maine program)
Boston
Penn State
Rush
Loyola
Northwestern
MCW
Saint Louis (SLU)
Creighton
Western Michigan
Mayo
EVMS
VCU
Wake
Emory
Miami
Colorado
UCSF

You should not need to apply to more than 30 or so schools as I expect you will get multiple interviews from the above list.
Thanks for the comprehensive list and feedback!