WAMC 3.77(4.0 last 75 credits) 518 ORM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MiniTron3

Reaction score
Hello all, I need help with my school list.

1. cGPA: 3.77 (4.0 my last 75 credits in classes like gen chem 1/gen chem 2, orgo 1, orgo 2, biochem, human phys, physics 2)
  2. sGPA: 3.70
  3. MCAT 518 (129/130/130/129)
  4. State: MI
  5. Ethnicity: Arabic Male, ORM, Arabic speaker
  6. Undergrad: Mid-tier MI school
  7. Clinical experience:
    1. 3750 hours of paid clinical work as a medical assistant/lead surgical assistant
  8. Research experience and productivity:
    1. Undergraduate research (~1250 hours, 2 posters, 1 co-first author pub, maybe a second on the way)
  9. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
    1. Radiology- 25 hours
    2. Internal medicine 50 hours
  10. Non-Clinical Volunteering:
    1. 1400 hours youth group leader for a middle school boys program at my church
    2. 450 hours Soup kitchen type work but slightly more individualized, big holidays, focused on underserved population.
    3. 300 hours handing out meals and clothes to under served communities
  11. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Hobbies: sports
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important:
  13. Letter of Rec current stash:
    1. STRONG LOR from respected Dr. I work for
    2. Strong LOR from PI (teaches at the medical school of my undergrad insitution)
    3. Orgo Teacher LOR\

Need help with my school list, really want to go to UMich like my brother does (his account). Current School List:
1. Michigan
2. Wayne State
3. Michigan State
4. Oakland University WB
5. Western Michigan
6. Central Michigan

What schools can I add/take off?

Members don't see this ad.

Look to Chicago programs.

Obviously you should play the in-state game. See if other schools have an AMMSA chapter. Other than that, I need a sense of your purpose to become a physician.
Like university of Illinois? What is AMMSA? I feel like my sense of becoming a physician is established via high clinical hours showing I love working with patients as well as the desire to serve the underserved community.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just making suggestions. There are many medical schools in Illinois

What diseases or conditions excite you the most that you will tediously be addressing for 10 years?
The conditions I most excite me to treat are chronic conditions that effect the quality of life of a patient's life. I struggle with a chronic disease that affects my quality of life (now under control for the most part with medication) but I know how frustrating it can be.

What schools on your list do similar community service that you do? You need to do homework on AMMSA, and I have mentioned them many times before with other WAMC requests.

What schools on your list do similar community service that you do? You need to do homework on AMMSA, and I have mentioned them many times before with other WAMC requests.

Both Wayne and Umich do TONS of community work with underserved populations. Also, I am not muslim (catholic), that may have been the mix up.

Reactions: 1 user
You have a strong application. Try to get another academic LOR from a professor you took a class from to ensure you can meet the requirements for schools.

I suggest:

All MI schools
Northwestern
University of Chicago
UCSF
Vanderbilt
Saint Louis
Emory
Jefferson
Penn
Iowa
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Sinai
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Miami
UVA
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Boston
Creighton
Kaiser
Mayo

You have a strong application. Try to get another academic LOR from a professor you took a class from to ensure you can meet the requirements for schools.

I suggest:

All MI schools
Northwestern
University of Chicago
UCSF
Vanderbilt
Saint Louis
Emory
Jefferson
Penn
Iowa
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Sinai
Einstein
Hofstra
Rochester
Miami
UVA
Harvard
Yale
Dartmouth
Boston
Creighton
Kaiser
Mayo
I feel like I am highly under qualified for a lot of these schools though. My GPA is below the 10th percentile for Harvard. I also will definitely try to get a LOR from another professor of mine.

I feel like I am highly under qualified for a lot of these schools though. My GPA is below the 10th percentile for Harvard. I also will definitely try to get a LOR from another professor of mine.
You have a strong MCAT and diverse experiences helping the underserved. I think University of Chicago, UCSF and several other schools will be interested. With your MI schools as well as Jesuit schools like Creighton and Saint Louis, it is worth seeing how your application turns out at some of the Ivy league schools.

You have a strong MCAT and diverse experiences helping the underserved. I think University of Chicago, UCSF and several other schools will be interested. With your MI schools as well as Jesuit schools like Creighton and Saint Louis, it is worth seeing how your application turns out at some of the Ivy league schools.
Thank you so much for your comments. I agree with the first sentence and am really really hoping that umich will give me the A so i can go to a T20 IS med school, especially hopeful since they are more holistic and will hopefully acknowledge my extreme upward gpa trend. Why do you think I would have success at Jesuit schools? I will probably toss my application at a few Ivy league schools but I am not expecting anything on that front.

Thank you so much for your comments. I agree with the first sentence and am really really hoping that umich will give me the A so i can go to a T20 IS med school, especially hopeful since they are more holistic and will hopefully acknowledge my extreme upward gpa trend. Why do you think I would have success at Jesuit schools? I will probably toss my application at a few Ivy league schools but I am not expecting anything on that front.
They value extensive service and you mentioned you were Catholic and were involved with your church.