WAMC? 3.78 cGPA, 3.62 sGPA, 520 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hoos121499

Reaction score
Currently gearing up to apply to med schools next Spring and wanted to get a sense of where I might stand before I make my school list. I'm worried about my lower sGPA and cGPA possibly holding me back from applying to some of the T20 schools (my dream is Stanford). Here's a breakdown of some of my stats:

cGPA: 3.78, sGPA: 3.62
MCAT: 520 (130 in all sections) - improvement from a 513 MCAT

Residence: VA
Undergrad: Prestigious state school

Ethnicity: White

---------Activities:

Research:
-3 years of part-time research in a pediatric neuromuscular lab, ~1000 hours total with a publication currently in review
-1 semester of part-time research in computational genetics, ~300 hours total
-1 summer of full-time research in neurobehavioral rat training for the department of defense, ~300 hours total
-1 year of full-time thesis research (for my undergraduate thesis) in concussion, culminating in a final thesis that earned a magna cum laude distinction, ~1000 hours total
-1 year of research Master's degree
-currently working as a full-time research assistant

Leadership:
-1 semester TAing
-Music director of a campus music group for 1 year
-small group leader for 3 years

Volunteer clinical experience:
-EMT (close to 3,000 total hours)

Volunteer non-clinical experience:
-worked with abused horses at a rescue farm in my home town during COVID (~60 hours)
-trying to join a volunteer organization for tutoring in the next year before apps start, I'm pretty weak in non-clinical volunteering

Shadowing:
-currently 30 hours of shadowing between Peds and primary care/internal med (trying to collect more throughout this year though)

Other EC's:
-Most of my college ECs are already listed above
-I also was a musician in a multi-ethnic music group in college and helped them put on cultural exhibition shows every semester
-I was on the ski team during my Master's degree

Relevant honors:
-Just dean's list for every semester of college

Current list of schools I am considering applying to:
T20 -
-Harvard
-Stanford
-UChicago
-Duke
-Yale
-Hopkins
-UPenn
-Michigan
-NYU
-Emory
-Vanderbilt
-Pitt
-Mayo
-Northwestern
-Cornell

Mid -
-UVA
-USC-Keck
-Ohio State
-Dartmouth
-UNC (I have family ties to North Carolina)

All others -
-EVMS
-VCU
-Maryland
-Wake Forest
-Wisconsin
-Vermont
-Indiana
-Miami
-Tulane
-Tufts
-Georgetown
-Brown
-BU
-Penn State

Any guidance as to whether this list is too top heavy based on my GPA (my science is pretty low) would be super helpful! Much thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: