WAMC 3.85/517/ first time applicant+ IA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

weewooo

Reaction score
cGPA:3.85, sGPA: 3.79
517 130/128/130/129
NY resident, US citizen. Grew up in another country and moved to the US when I was 21 for undergrad.

RACE: half white half Asian
Undergrad: state school bio major
Clinical: at time of applying I will have 2500 hours as a scribe in primary care, dealing with an underserved and elderly population. around 1000 of which as lead scribe
Research: 700 hours in a lab. 1 poster. did research about a genetic condition and have my own abstract from research I did over the summer.
Shadowing: no shadowing
Volunteering: 200 hours meals on wheels
ECs: played rugby for my school for 3 years
Own a company back home doing sales for 2 years full time (was in charge of training our employees and handling the money)
foreign military for 2 years full time: airborne trained
Awards: research grant over the summer to do research on campus. deans list all semesters( if this matters)

school list
Stony Brook
Downstate
Albert einstein
mount sinai

one IA in the form of a written warning for a noise complaint/having people over without guest passes

questions: outside of these NY schools I am unsure of where else to apply or where I have a shot at. aiming for 30+ schools on my list

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I suggest:
ALL SUNYs
NYU
Columbia
JHU
WashU
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
U Chicago
Mayo
Case
Stanford
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM

I suggest:
ALL SUNYs
NYU
Columbia
JHU
WashU
Northwestern
Vanderbilt
Harvard
Yale
Cornell
U Chicago
Mayo
Case
Stanford
Duke
Sinai
U VA
BU
Baylor
UCSF
Pitt
USC/Keck
UCLA
U MI
Rochester
Hofstra
Ohio State
U Cincy
Dartmouth
Western MI
USF Morsani
Brown
U MA
U IA
Albert Einstein
Emory
Tufts
NYU-LI
Jefferson
Miami
SLU
U WI
U CO
U VM
Thank you so much for the reply and all that you do Goro, is there really any point in me applying to NYU/Colombia/Harvard given my GPA/MCAT or is that a pipe dream?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for the reply and all that you do Goro, is there really any point in me applying to NYU/Colombia/Harvard given my GPA/MCAT or is that a pipe dream?
Just to throw in my two cents, I know two ORM folks with essentially the same profile as you (slightly higher MCAT, 518-519) who got into many of the T20s like Columbia, Harvard, Cornell, Sinai, etc.

Of course, there are those who don't get in either, but it is definitely worth applying.

Reactions: 1 users
Since it hasn't been said, some of your scribing hours can count as shadowing so I'm not so worried about this.

Disclose the IA. Give us reviewers some laughs knowing you shouldn't be a loud party animal.

Pre-write your essays and make sure a lot of people help you collectively edit them so that your purpose to become a physician is clear. Mission fit is key.

If your English is still not where you want it to be, try to pick schools that avoid Casper. PREview should be okay if you feel very comfortable navigating the culture of an academic health center. Do not skimp on your interview preparation... start as soon as possible.

Just to throw in my two cents, I know two ORM folks with essentially the same profile as you (slightly higher MCAT, 518-519) who got into many of the T20s like Columbia, Harvard, Cornell, Sinai, etc.

Of course, there are those who don't get in either, but it is definitely worth applying.
this is so comforting to hear, i guess ill shoot my shot.

Since it hasn't been said, some of your scribing hours can count as shadowing so I'm not so worried about this.

Disclose the IA. Give us reviewers some laughs knowing you shouldn't be a loud party animal.

Pre-write your essays and make sure a lot of people help you collectively edit them so that your purpose to become a physician is clear. Mission fit is key.

If your English is still not where you want it to be, try to pick schools that avoid Casper. PREview should be okay if you feel very comfortable navigating the culture of an academic health center. Do not skimp on your interview preparation... start as soon as possible.
would I just remove some hours from scribing and put shadowing as one of my activities and say I shadowed the physician?

I will 100% disclose it and own it if it comes up.

Currently working on my primary app then right on to my secondaries.

I actually come from a country where English is the first language so I think both Casper and PREview should be fine.

Thank you for all the helpful advice!

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah - this IA is just bushleague college hijinks; you've stayed out of trouble and done well after. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Reactions: 1 user
@Goro Got my first A yesterday, just wanted to thank you again. For reference, I applied to all 48 schools he suggested and got 6 IIs.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users