WAMC? 3.9/516 ORM School list help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

INeedHelp1234

Reaction score
Major: Neuroscience Minor: Chemistry, Ethics
cGPA: 3.90 (big upward trend, includes retaken class that went from a C to A)
AMCAS sGPA: 3.80 (again upward trend, includes C that was retaken and went to A)

MCAT: 516 (130/130/128/128)

Midwest

ORM Male

Coming From Flagship OOS school

Clinical Experience:
200 hours patient comfort volunteer in hospital
100 hours ED volunteer
CNA class+training w/ ~20 clinical hours (Unable to finish program due to injury)

Research:
3 Semesters worth of neurobiology research (~300 hours), no pubs

Shadowing:
50 hours of shadowing(outpatient neurology, in-patient IM, trauma, anesthesiology, neuroradiology)

Non-clinical Volunteering:
100 Hours Adult Learning Tutor
25 Hours City Neighborhood Volunteering

Other Activities:
Basketball (Played whole life (just for fun in college), help run community summer league)
2 Clubs w/ some leadership
TA 3 science courses
100 hours tutor high school kids

Awards:
dean's list

Was debating gap year, but I really want to go straight through to be honest

(Applying to 4 IS Schools)
Preference: Midwest>Northeast>Mid-Alantic>South/West

Tentative School List: Looking to apply to ~25-30 MD schools, ~5 DO schools

MD:

Einstein
Vermont
U Illinois Chicago
Rush
Rosaling Franklin
Wayne
Penn State
Saint Louis
Jefferson
Western Michigan
Albany Medical College
NYMC
Tulane
Wisconsin
Drexel
Iowa
BU
Toledo
Creighton
Loyola
Temple
Pitt

DO: Unsure Yet

Members don't see this ad.

Are you from IL? Rush expects hundreds, if not thousands , of hours in clinical and nonclinical service. And they get it from their applicants. UofI has horrendous OOS tuition. So be aware of that. Your clinical experience is fine as is your shadowing. You don’t need any more shadowing. Your research is fine too. Your nonclinical is borderline, although you mention a summer community basketball league under another category that might help fulfill some of what you are lacking. Who took part in this league? What was your part? Your nonclinical volunteering is supposed to focus on serving the unserved/underserved in your community.

Reactions: 1 user
Are you from IL? Rush expects hundreds, if not thousands , of hours in clinical and nonclinical service. And they get it from their applicants. UofI has horrendous OOS tuition. So be aware of that. Your clinical experience is fine as is your shadowing. You don’t need any more shadowing. Your research is fine too. Your nonclinical is borderline, although you mention a summer community basketball league under another category that might help fulfill some of what you are lacking. Who took part in this league? What was your part? Your nonclinical volunteering is supposed to focus on serving the unserved/underserved in your community.
Thanks for the heads up, yep Illinois. My nonclinical kinda targets the underserved (I helped out poorer neighborhoods of a city, and I tutored adults that haven't graduated high school and are trying to get their equivalent degree). Does Rush really need 1000+ clinical/non-clinical volunteering? I'll probably end up with around 500+ but not 1000+, how about with other schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up, yep Illinois. My nonclinical kinda targets the underserved (I helped out poorer neighborhoods of a city, and I tutored adults that haven't graduated high school and are trying to get their equivalent degree). Does Rush really need 1000+ clinical/non-clinical volunteering? I'll probably end up with around 500+ but not 1000+, how about with other schools?

They expect lots of stuff. I never understood their requirements but it’s always worth try. As several ADCOMS say, consider yourself rejected until you have that A in hand. You do need to work on your nonclinical hours. And you need a better descriptor of nonclinical volunteering than “kinda targets the underserved”. Medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruism to the ADCOMS. You will be dealing with people very unlike yourself and you have to show that you are comfortable dealing with all types of people. Good luck as you move forward.

They expect lots of stuff. I never understood their requirements but it’s always worth try. As several ADCOMS say, consider yourself rejected until you have that A in hand. You do need to work on your nonclinical hours. And you need a better descriptor of nonclinical volunteering than “kinda targets the underserved”. Medicine is a service profession and you have to show your altruism to the ADCOMS. You will be dealing with people very unlike yourself and you have to show that you are comfortable dealing with all types of people. Good luck as you move forward.
Gotcha, I definitely agree, and I'll try to be more specific in that regard. Especially my volunteering in a city hospital and tutoring fairly older folks and some ESL adults, really appreciated those experiences. Thanks

Hey, I have nearly identical stats, a lot more research, weaker clinical hrs, and a bit higher volunteer. I've been accepted and have 6 IIs right now. I took a gap year. I applied to ~45 MDs and my biggest regret is wishing I put more clinical hours in. I also noticed the schools I got IIs, there was always something specific about the MD school that resonated with my experiences when writing seccies. Your list looks good and I got IIs from several of those schools, and agree with the Rush comment. Good LUCK!

You have a very well rounded application with great stats. As other posters mentioned, you definitely want to flesh out your experiences when you talk about them, but I don't think you'll have any issues there.

Some others to look into: Georgetown, Hofstra, Dartmouth, Case Western, Rochester, GW, Miami, Ohio State (check OOS acceptance rates), Mount Sinai (reach), Northwestern (reach), UChicago (reach)

For DO schools apply to a few in your region of preference, but I think you will overall have success with MD.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, I have nearly identical stats, a lot more research, weaker clinical hrs, and a bit higher volunteer. I've been accepted and have 6 IIs right now. I took a gap year. I applied to ~45 MDs and my biggest regret is wishing I put more clinical hours in. I also noticed the schools I got IIs, there was always something specific about the MD school that resonated with my experiences when writing seccies. Your list looks good and I got IIs from several of those schools, and agree with the Rush comment. Good LUCK!
I appreciate it. Any advice on on writing secondaries since you seem to have done a good job with that. How do you write about a school you have little experience with?

Please fix the typo in the title :)