WAMC 3.93/523 + advice for EC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ThePeople1234

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello! I am applying for the upcoming cycle and am currently a third-year in undergrad. I'm looking for advice on how to improve my application for the last semester before I apply. I really want to go into pediatrics and I'm struggling with how to frame my overall narrative. Thank you so much!

1. cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS: 3.93, 3.90
2. MCAT score(s) and breakdown: 523 (131/130/131/131)
3. State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US): GA
4. Ethnicity and/or race: Asian, ORM male
5. Undergraduate institution or category: no-name school in FL
6. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer): MA at family practice & nursing home - 500 hrs, ASD health aide - over the summers, I helped a child with ASD with several duties such as taking medication, feeding, trips to the park, engaging in education (500 hrs), unsure to list the activity as non-clinical or clinical
7. Research experience and productivity:
basic chemistry lab research - 750 hrs, 3 posters - 2 at national conference, 1 at school conference, 1 oral presentation at school conference
course-based experience - 150 hrs, 1 poster at national conference and conference abstract
public health research - 200 hrs, 1 poster at school conference, 1 publication in public health journal (first author)
8. Shadowing experience and specialties represented:
pediatrician - 50 hrs
GI doc - 50 hrs
family medicine - 25 hrs
9. Non-clinical volunteering:
homeless shelter service project - 150 hrs
service trip site leader - 300 hrs g
underserved schools stem outreach - 500 hrs
camp kesem counselor - 200 hrs
10. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc):
underserved school stem outreach nonprofit - president (100 hrs+service)
general chemistry lab assistant - 250 hrs
forensic chemistry head lab assistant - 150 hrs
indian student association e-board - 200 hrs
camp kesem operations lead - 100 hrs
service trip site leader - 100 hrs + service
global scholar - yearly scholarship in which I had to represent and aid international students with adjusting to school and raising funds along with organizing service projects (250 hrs)
11. Relevant honors or awards
Yearly scholarship for global scholar
12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
publication for the stem outreach about the impact of service on college students - low impact journal, first author

School List:
pcom suwanee
mercer
morehouse
medical college of georgia
uab
ucf
usf
rice
u miami
emory
case western
u mich
northwestern
vanderbilt
ucla
brown
duke
stanford
mount sinai
u chicago
columbia
cornell
mayo
ucsf
yale
harvard
nyu grossman
nyu lisom

Members don't see this ad.

For a 3.9/523 applicant, you are likely to get yield protected from PCOM Suwanee unless you have done a lot of networking and are convinced they are your top choice. Mercer is focused on rural health, and Morehouse is an HBCU school.

If you intend on going global health, you have a very strong application IMO. Read
Are you in contention for any fellowships?

Reactions: 1 user
For a 3.9/523 applicant, you are likely to get yield protected from PCOM Suwanee unless you have done a lot of networking and are convinced they are your top choice. Mercer is focused on rural health, and Morehouse is an HBCU school.

If you intend on going global health, you have a very strong application IMO. Read
Are you in contention for any fellowships?
Thank you! I'm currently applying for the CDC public health fellowships for the summer, but I'm just unsure what else to do before I apply in May. Any advice is much appreciated.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
UAB is heavily in-state residents and Morehouse is an HBCU. Rice does not have a medical school. I assume you want to apply to Baylor, and you might as well do UTSW then as well on TMDSAS. In addition, I suggest:

MCG
Emory
USF
Miami
Case
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Michigan
Brown
Duke
Stanford
Sinai
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
NYU LI
Stony Brook
Rochester
Einstein
Hofstra
Jefferson
Iowa
WUSTL
Mayo
Harvard
Yale
Keck

Reactions: 2 users
@Faha and @Goro, your advice on if anything else is needed or would help supplement my application would be much appreciated!!!

I can't see anything else. You're a rockstar - aim high! No need to have DO schools on your list unless you really want them. You're pack fodder, maybe towards the stronger end of pack fodder, for top 20 schools.