WAMC: 3.96 GPA, 511 MCAT (Research Heavy)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Falcons1017

Reaction score
Hey everyone, thank you for checking this out. I'm applying this cycle as a traditional applicant and just finished up my 3rd year of undergrad going into my senior year. Looking for any help y'all can give on a school list. Thanks so much!
1. GPA 3.96
2. 511 MCAT (128/127/128/128)
3. Georgia resident
4. White
5. Small private university in GA
6. Clinical experience:
Paid
-Urgent care medical assistant (MA) in hometown 1348 hrs completed since 2020
-Rural urgent care MA w/ uninsured patients 196 hrs completed since Dec 2022, working here all summer.
Volunteer
-Volunteer clinic MA for uninsured/financially disadvantaged 40 hrs

7. Research:
-Goldwater Scholarship
-Two publications (both middle author), One first author and one 4th author getting submitted this summer
-6 posters, 5 oral presentations (regional conferences, one NIH)
-Summer research program at home university (kidney), 450 hrs
-Summer research program at University of Alabama Birmingham (kidney), 440 hrs
-Research assistant doing microbiology and bacteria projects since JAN 2022 623 hrs
-Research assistant doing nephrology projects since May 2021 (started w/ summer program) 586 hrs

8. Shadowing:
- Vascular surgeon 80 hrs
-Family medicine 168 hrs
-Internal medicine 25 hrs
-Physician assistant emergency medicine 50 hrs

9. Non-clinical volunteering:
-Homeless shelter serving food to residents, sorting clothing/shoes, decorating facility since Feb 2021, 153 hrs
-University's service club- Helping at various shelters and charities in area, 86 hrs

10. Leadership:
-Volunteer event coordinator for university's service organization Aug 2022- May 2023, now executive director for upcoming year, 258 hrs
-Secretary for Beta-Beta-Beta biology society Aug 2022-May 2023, now president for upcoming year, 130 hrs

School List so far (haven't applied yet):
Medical College of Georgia
Emory University
Mercer University
TCU
Wake Forest
University of Alabama at Birmingham
East Tennessee State University
University of Florida
Florida Atlantic University
University of Louisville
University of Central Florida
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
Nova Southeastern University
West Virginia University
University of Kentucky
University of Southern Florida Morsani College of Medicine
Tulane University
University of South Carolina Columbia
Virginia Tech Carilion

Members don't see this ad.

You have several state public schools on your list that admit few non residents with no connection to the state and your MCAT of 511.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Medical College of Georgia
Emory University
Mercer University
TCU
Wake Forest
Florida Atlantic University
University of Central Florida
University of Miami Leonard M. Miller School of Medicine
Nova Southeastern University
Tulane University
Virginia Tech Carilion
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Quinnipiac
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont

Congrats on the Goldwater scholarship. I can't tell from your WAMC, but are you MSTP? How will you incorporate research in your career? Clarification needed to craft school list.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Also where are you working this summer (rural clinic MA)? I concur that tying together your research accomplishments with themes of why you need patient care to do what you see yourself doing 10 years from now needs more detail.

Congrats on the Goldwater scholarship. I can't tell from your WAMC, but are you MSTP? How will you incorporate research in your career? Clarification needed to craft school list.
Thanks for reaching out! I am applying for MD programs and for MSTP programs, but my MCAT has caused me to be more unsure for MSTP. I can see myself having a research focused career as MD/PhD in academic medicine using patient experiences to drive clinical trials/basic science research I would design. I can also equally see myself doing primary care for underserved populations as an MD and taking part in basic science research or meta-analysis studies of my patient's treatments and outcomes. I'm still trying to decide what I want really, but research will be involved one way or the other. Hope this helps!

Also where are you working this summer (rural clinic MA)? I concur that tying together your research accomplishments with themes of why you need patient care to do what you see yourself doing 10 years from now needs more detail.
Thanks for taking a look. The clinic is in the north GA mountains area, if that's the detail you were hoping for. If not, let me know. To answer the other part of your response, take a look at a response I wrote to another user just above. To give some context, I started my journey pursuing MD and was exposed to research and MD/PhD later. I see both of the career types I described above as very fulfilling which is why I'm applying to both types of programs. Thank you again!

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for reaching out! I am applying for MD programs and for MSTP programs, but my MCAT has caused me to be more unsure for MSTP. I can see myself having a research focused career as MD/PhD in academic medicine using patient experiences to drive clinical trials/basic science research I would design. I can also equally see myself doing primary care for underserved populations as an MD and taking part in basic science research or meta-analysis studies of my patient's treatments and outcomes. I'm still trying to decide what I want really, but research will be involved one way or the other. Hope this helps!
Would you consider retaking the MCAT at all? I know it's too late, but the rest of your application gives Stanford vibes.

You can definitely ask the folks in the Research Scientists forum. That's where most of our MSTP people hang out to do WAMC's and so on.

You can definitely ask the folks in the Research Scientists forum. That's where most of our MSTP people hang out to do WAMC's and so on.
I will definitely check it out, thanks for pointing me to it. Do you have any recommendations for MD programs I didn't have on my list?

Would you consider retaking the MCAT at all? I know it's too late, but the rest of your application gives Stanford vibes.
Thank you! Unfortunately, I don't want to take the gap year needed to redo the MCAT so I will be sticking with this year's cycle.