WAMC - 3.97/501 Illinois Applicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

musicdidactic

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
1) GPA - 3.97
2) 501
3) Illinois
4) Clinical experience - 660 hours
5) Non clinical experience - 160 hours
6) Shadowing - 66 hours
7) Research - 1000+
8) Leadership - 3 positions
9) Strong LORs


I don't feel good about retaking the mcat this close to the beginning of the cycle. Do I have a chance at MD? Any advice?
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the forums.

What advice have you gotten from your prehealth advisors? Do you plan to retake the MCAT? A 501 is not a strong score for MD and established DO prorgams. Mission fit is going to be important, but your non-clinical service orientation activities are subpar (70 hours crisis nursery, 30 hours food bank); you should have at least 150 hours when you press submit or your file could be screened out at most schools.
 
Welcome to the forums.

What advice have you gotten from your prehealth advisors? Do you plan to retake the MCAT? A 501 is not a strong score for MD and established DO prorgams. Mission fit is going to be important, but your non-clinical service orientation activities are subpar (70 hours crisis nursery, 30 hours food bank); you should have at least 150 hours when you press submit or your file could be screened out at most schools.
Would you disregard my volunteering at the school? The kids were not patient, and it was basically a normal school. With that, I would have 160 hours. I don't plan on retaking because I really do want to apply this upcoming cycle and I don't think I can improve much within 1 month.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You could receive interviews at some MD schools but your best chances are DO schools. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Ponce (St. Louis)
Alice Walton
Roseman
Belmont
Methodist
Eastern Virginia
For DO schools I suggest these:
IllinoisCOM (new school)
MU-COM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
BCOM (both schools)
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
BUCOM
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WCU-COM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
The ValleyCOM (new school)
DUQ-NCOM
DYU-COM
LUCOM
MSOM
Noorda-COM
TUNCOM
 
You could receive interviews at some MD schools but your best chances are DO schools. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
U Illinois
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Ponce (St. Louis)
Alice Walton
Roseman
Belmont
Methodist
Eastern Virginia
For DO schools I suggest these:
IllinoisCOM (new school)
MU-COM
KCU-COM
UIWSOM
BCOM (both schools)
NYIT-AR
ARCOM
BUCOM
LMU-DCOM (all schools)
PCOM (all schools)
LECOM (all schools)
WCU-COM
ACOM
VCOM (all schools)
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
The ValleyCOM (new school)
DUQ-NCOM
DYU-COM
LUCOM
MSOM
Noorda-COM
TUNCOM
Thanks a lot!
 
Would you disregard my volunteering at the school? The kids were not patient, and it was basically a normal school. With that, I would have 160 hours. I don't plan on retaking because I really do want to apply this upcoming cycle and I don't think I can improve much within 1 month.
Tell me more about this school associated with a hospital. It sounds like you were more like a tutor or teaching assistant. That would put those hours in teaching or tutoring, not service orientation.
 
Tell me more about this school associated with a hospital. It sounds like you were more like a tutor or teaching assistant. That would put those hours in teaching or tutoring, not service orientation.
There was no tutoring or any teaching involved. It was purely just helping out with the kids during snack time and making sure they don't run off and things like that. Just an extra set of eyes.