WAMC (4.0, 518)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calimusic

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I was wondering if I can get any recs on if my school list is okay or how I should alter it. I know my clinical volunteering is lacking a little, but with working and school + not great/worthwhile clinical opportunities, I felt like my other commitments were more valuable.

State/Country of Residence: CA, USA

Ties to other States/Regions: close family in Western NY

URM? (Y/N): N (caucasian female)

Year in School: graduating 2022 from a top public school

Undergraduate Major(s)/Minor(s): Molecular Bio / Biomedical Research minor

Cumulative GPA: 4.0

Science GPA: 4.0

MCAT Score(s): 518 (130/128/130/130)

Research Experience:
-Just began in immunotherapy lab, but will have 2 years in the lab by the time I matriculate
-1000 hours of paid lung cancer data entry / research where I hold a leadership role to train new undergrads and have developed SOPs (will have double the hours by matriculation)

Publications/Abstracts/Posters: none yet but at least 1 presentation or poster required for my minor

Clinical Experience (paid or volunteer): about 20 hours working with dementia patients

Physician Shadowing: 40 hours in pediatric clinic, 20 hours with a peds neuro-oncologist

Non-Clinical Volunteering: 30 hours mentorship for my school/premed (will have way more before application), 20 hours RMH, few other misc hours for community service events for a club I am in

Other Extracurricular Activities:
-Co-founded non-profit; in team with grad students working on policy issues, created and gave training for an on-campus group with this issue, conducting research on this issue, developed website and doing social media (some of this crosses over with non-clinical volunteering)
-VP of a pediatric cancer org
-Community service head & (will be) 4 year member of another org, likely to have another position next year
-sorority leadership position and applying for exec position, counselor for recruitment, nominated by chapter for service award

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): Peds Neuro-Onc

Interest in Primary Care (Y/N): N

Interest in Rural Health (Y/N): not really, but I'm becoming more and more aware and mindful about disparities in healthcare and wanting to serve some of these underserved communities so this is subject to change

Letters: one REALLY strong one from my boss (MD and high level position at my school), another sci prof and writing prof really strong as well

Medical School List: NYU, Wash U, Yale, Johns Hopkins, Perelman, Vandy, U Chicago, HMS, U Virginia, Stanford, Northwestern, Mayo, Weill Cornell, Columbia, Ichan, Baylor, UCSF, UCLA, Michigan, Duke, BU, Case Western, UT Southwestern, Pittsburgh, UT Austin Dell, UCI, UCSD, Warren Alpert, Rochester, Keck, Buffalo, Miami, Ohio State, U Cincinnati

@Goro @Faha

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Your clinical exposure hours are low. You should accumulate another 150+ hours of clinical experience before you apply. I suggest adding more schools and consider these:
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Western Michigan
USF Morsani
Kaiser
California University

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your clinical exposure hours are low. You should accumulate another 150+ hours of clinical experience before you apply. I suggest adding more schools and consider these:
Tufts
Hofstra
Einstein
Western Michigan
USF Morsani
Kaiser
California University
Thank you so much! If I am able to get those hours (already have contacted an institution I found out is taking volunteers right now), do you think my list is too top-heavy still or is it worth a shot at keeping them on there?

Thank you so much! If I am able to get those hours (already have contacted an institution I found out is taking volunteers right now), do you think my list is too top-heavy still or is it worth a shot at keeping them on there?
Your list is top heavy without the extra 150+ hours of volunteering but with more clinical volunteering you will receive more interviews.

Reactions: 1 user