MD WAMC (4.0 526, Florida) School list help + chances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SD2988

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I was wondering what my chances are in general and wanted a little bit of help reviewing and adding schools to my list. My main concern with my application is my relatively low number of service hours (180 total) and especially a relatively low amount of nonclinical service hours (70). Would my higher stats and other ECs help offset this, or is it likely that I'll just get screened out for that amount at most schools? I know I also don't have much research, but would this significantly hold back my application at state schools? Realistically I'd be thrilled if I got into a T20 school, but know that is a big reach with my ECs and am aiming for a mid level state or private school. I created my list with an emphasis on Florida schools and schools which accept a relatively large percentage of OOS students. Thank you so much in advance for all of your help.

cGPA/sGPA: 4.0

MCAT: 526 (132,131,132,131)

Florida Resident

Ethnicity: White Male

Attends a Florida State school, Traditional Applicant (rising senior)

Clinical: 600 hours paid patient care assistant work mostly in critical care, 30 hours of ER volunteering, 80 hours hospice volunteer

Research: 225 hours as a molecular bio lab assistant + reviewing papers, no productivity (publications or posters)

Shadowing: 60 Hours. 35 Primary Care, 25 General Surgery, 5 OB/GYN

Non-Clinical: 30 hours food bank, 40 hours hospital fundraising

Other EC: President (and former historian) of 180 member premed organization, 150 hours of work as an organic chemistry TA with a guaranteed position in the fall (listed on app)

Current List

In State (Florida, All)
Univ. Florida
Florida State Univ.
Univ. Miami
Florida International Univ.
Florida Atlantic Univ.
Univ. Central Florida
Univ. South Florida
Nova Southeastern Univ.

Out of State

Univ. Alabama Heersink
Univ. Colorado
Penn State
Univ. Pittsburgh
Univ. Virginia
Wake Forest
Emory
Tulane Univ.
Vanderbilt Univ.
Univ. South Alabama
Eastern Virginia Med School
Univ. Tennessee

Thanks Again!

Members don't see this ad.

My main concern with my application is my relatively low number of service hours (180 total) and especially a relatively low amount of nonclinical service hours (70). Would my higher stats and other ECs help offset this, or is it likely that I'll just get screened out for that amount at most schools?
Bluntly, your high stats will grab attention among those that won't yield protect, and the low hours will likely screen you out because the activities don't measure up to the competition your application would be compared against. You don't disclose any compelling journey or mission fit that could keep your application in play from what you have shared.

Bluntly, your high stats will grab attention among those that won't yield protect, and the low hours will likely screen you out because the activities don't measure up to the competition your application would be compared against. You don't disclose any compelling journey or mission fit that could keep your application in play from what you have shared.
Thanks for your response!

1.) How would you recommend I improve? Is it largely those volunteering hours or something else? What would you recommend as a good target number of those hours ?

2.) Do you think those current stats would be a complete block from most of those schools I have listed ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Your Florida state public schools will not "yield protect" so those are where you best chances are. Your low non clinical volunteering hours will limit your chances for interviews at top tier schools but you stats will attract attention. I suggest these OOS schools
Washington University (in St. Louis-they like high stat applicants)
Vanderbilt
Emory
Tulane
Northwestern
U Michigan
Duke
Cincinnati
Case Western
U Virginia
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Johns Hopkins
U Penn
Hofstra
Einstein (free tuition)
Mount Sinai
NYU (free tuition)
Rochester
Boston University
Tufts
Yale
Mayo

Thanks for your response!

1.) How would you recommend I improve? Is it largely those volunteering hours or something else? What would you recommend as a good target number of those hours ?

As mentioned above, your in-state programs are your best shot given your metrics. If you want to play in the pool with the brand schools, you need at least 250 hours of service orientation activities that underscore your purpose.

2.) Do you think those current stats would be a complete block from most of those schools I have listed ?
I can't speak for individual schools, but admissions folks are known to say "we can get 4.0/520+ applicants by the bushel, so what makes you stand out?" Having fewer experiences serving the community in service orientation activities than the majority of other applicants or the students they have admitted is one way to weed you out. See my previous response.

FSU, FIU, and Nova are donations because they will certainly yield protect you.

I have seen FAU and UCF interview up to about 523, but 526 I’m not sure. However, I would still apply to those.

Most schools outside the “T30” will probably yield protect you.

Your best chances in my opinion are schools like USF, Miami, Hofstra, UVA, Ohio State, Iowa, and the high stat loving T20s like NYU WashU Hopkins Penn Vanderbilt Columbia etc.

Try to beef up your ECs to “match” your stats.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow amazing stats. You should apply to Harvard.

FSU, FIU, and Nova are donations because they will certainly yield protect you.

I have seen FAU and UCF interview up to about 523, but 526 I’m not sure. However, I would still apply to those.

Most schools outside the “T30” will probably yield protect you.

Your best chances in my opinion are schools like USF, Miami, Hofstra, UVA, Ohio State, Iowa, and the high stat loving T20s like NYU WashU Hopkins Penn Vanderbilt Columbia etc.

Try to beef up your ECs to “match” your stats.
what does FSU FIU and nova are donations mean?