WAMC 511 MCAT/3.88 cGPA, 7 W's, TX resident, Non-traditional, Veteran

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Monkeymojo

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE

So, I just received my MCAT. I am disappointed but will still own my decision to test. I would like feedback on my application and how badly this will diminish my chances at MD. I am currently still in undergrad and plan on applying next cycle. Course load is easier so I do not predict any changes in GPA and plan on continuing with the activities I am already involved in. I have not taken the Casper yet. I can add DO shadowing if it is recommended that I also apply DO.
  1. 3.88cGPA and 3.90sGPA
    1. Note: Non-traditional, all grades since 2019 are 4.0 except for 6.5 credits taken back in 2011, which all received a 2.0
  2. 511 MCAT (128/126/129/128)
  3. Texas Resident
  4. Asian/White
  5. State Public School
  6. LVN (paid) and volunteer (unpaid) Clinical Experience
    1. LVN US Military 5000 hours, paid: Time split between ER and Addiction Medicine IOP
    2. American Red Cross (not as LVN), unpaid 164 hours: Volunteered at the same IOP I was an LVN in when transitioning from the military
    3. LVN Civilian 1000 hours, paid: Outpatient with profoundly autistic and intellectually disabled patients
  7. Research Assistant
    1. Health Psychophysiology Lab 50 hours unpaid: 1 Presentation at an out-of-state 'national meeting' via zoom due to COVID
    2. Biochemistry Lab 500 hours paid + 300 hours unpaid: 1 mid-author publication, 1 manuscript yet to be published but should be completed before I complete undergrad
  8. 50 hours shadowing an addiction medicine primary care physician in both in-patient and outpatient settings
  9. Volunteering
    1. University Veteran Academic Success Center 150 hours
      1. Connected veterans to community services
    2. Veteran Scuba Charity 500 hours
      1. The program involves teaching/certifying veterans in open-water scuba diving (teaches being present/teamwork/adaptive coping mechanisms)
  10. Other extracurricular activities
    1. Military Service: 10000 hours infantry with 2 combat deployments (this occurred before reclassing to LVN)
    2. Currently undergoing my scuba-master certification
    3. Ran multiple marathons
    4. Enjoy going to the gym
    5. Enjoy playing D&D (but with a star wars variant)
  11. Relevant honors or awards
    1. Received the Directors Award for my military LVN course (1 student per class) when reclassing from infantry
    2. Deans List for all of undergrad so far (excluding the 2011 mishap)
    3. Lots of military awards, might be cringe to list them all, not sure how to go about it for applications, but have completed the following schools
      1. Basic Leadership Course (required to become a noncommissioned officer)
      2. Ranger School (selective leadership course)
      3. Airborn School (parachuting from airplanes)
      4. Air Assault School (repelling from helicopters)
  12. Anything else not listed you think might be important
    1. 200 hours writing tutor, paid
    2. I am gay and enlisted while Don't Ask Don't Tell was still in effect (although thankfully this was changed earlier than later during my service, am now married)
    3. Have 2 W's from 2010 on my transcript
    4. Withdrew from an entire semester due to a family member dying; this resulted in an additional 5 W's on my transcript
      1. Not sure if matters, but this occurred last semester. I just received my MCAT score, and in hindsight, I should have postponed due to the dedicated study time being taken up by family obligations and a distracted mental state.
I plan on applying to all Texas MD schools. Open to DO if it is recommended. Should I apply to any out-of-state institutions to increase my chances at MD, and if so, which ones would be good?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you for your service. You are good to apply to all your in-state MD schools. Also include ETSU as they specifically target veterans. USUHS and Dartmouth (likes non-trads) might be worth considering too for more out of state options. You can include TCOM and Sam Houston for DO schools on TMDSAS. No need to fill out an AACOMAS app for other DO schools.

Reactions: 1 users
You should receive several interviews from your Texas schools. For AMCAS schools you could add TCU and Tulane.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate all of your replies and feedback, I will add Dartmouth, ETSU, TCU, and Tulane. In addition, I will look into and add TCOM and Sam Houston as I was unaware they were included on TMDSAS.

Last edited:
Like our SDN community, Texas schools generally love the military, and thank you for serving our nation. Do as well as you can on Casper.

Make sure you ask some tough questions about the support you will get at the schools you interview at.

Reactions: 1 user