WAMC: 516 MCAT, 3.93 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA, ORM, NY resident

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zorazk

Reaction score
  1. 516 MCAT (130,128,129,129)
  2. 3.93 cGPA, 3.89 sGPA
  3. NY Resident ORM White Male
  4. Ivy League School
  5. Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer):
    1. ED Technician - 1200 hours (3 summers)
  6. Research:
    1. Research Assistant - 400 hours - 1 publication
    2. Honors Thesis - Poster + in review for publication - 400 hours
  7. Shadowing experience and specialties represented
    1. 50 hours shadowing Cardio, GI, Uro
  8. Non-clinical volunteering
    1. Ignite Tutor - 160 hours
    2. Crisis Text Line - 260 hours
  9. Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
    1. Health Advocacy Club Founder and President - 320 hours
    2. Peer Mentor - 250 hours
    3. Mentor to children with special needs - 150 hours
    4. Gap Year - Americorps - expected 1100 hours
    5. Intramural Sports
Current School List for 2025 cycle. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Reach/Target
Cornell
Case Western
Mt. Sinai
Emory
Pitt
Ohio State
Rochester
Dartmouth
Einstein
Hofstra
USC Keck
Stony Brook
Brown

Target/Safety
UVM
GW
SUNY Upstate
SUNY Downstate
U Buffalo
NYMC
JeffersonTufts
GW
Drexel
Temple
AMC
Rush
Rosalind Franklin
Quinnipiac
UMiami

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
While I'm not that impressed with your non-clinical volunteering (tutoring and crisis text line do not fulfill non-clinical service orientation competency), I will hope that your Americorps experience will address it. You have a ton of tutoring/mentoring in this profile, which practically every premed has, so it doesn't help you stand out. Metrics should put you in some cannon fodder territory, but without any identifiable information that discloses your mission fit and purpose as a physician, you resemble most of the other applicants in their pools and can be passed over. All your in-states should be in play, as will some regional schools that may consider you; I don't think you'll suffer from yield protection, but I'm not sure how competitive an OOS applicant you are among your reach public schools (Ohio State and Pitt).

You don't have enough service hours banked for Rush. Why does every New Yorker want to go to Miami? :)

While I'm not that impressed with your non-clinical volunteering (tutoring and crisis text line do not fulfill non-clinical service orientation competency), I will hope that your Americorps experience will address it. You have a ton of tutoring/mentoring in this profile, which practically every premed has, so it doesn't help you stand out. Metrics should put you in some cannon fodder territory, but without any identifiable information that discloses your mission fit and purpose as a physician, you resemble most of the other applicants in their pools and can be passed over. All your in-states should be in play, as will some regional schools that may consider you; I don't think you'll suffer from yield protection, but I'm not sure how competitive an OOS applicant you are among your reach public schools (Ohio State and Pitt).

You don't have enough service hours banked for Rush. Why does every New Yorker want to go to Miami? :)
What competencies do Peer Mentoring and Crisis Text Line fall under?

Members don't see this ad :)
What competencies do Peer Mentoring and Crisis Text Line fall under?
Peer mentoring is an academic activity, so it is an academic competency.

Crisis text line, while it is a worthwhile activity, does not satisfy many adcoms' desire to see face-to-face service when it comes to service orientation.

Peer mentoring is an academic activity, so it is an academic competency.

Crisis text line, while it is a worthwhile activity, does not satisfy many adcoms' desire to see face-to-face service when it comes to service orientation.
Got it! I do believe I have solid narrative, but don't want to give away too much personal info... Anything else I should work on in my application?

Got it! I do believe I have solid narrative, but don't want to give away too much personal info... Anything else I should work on in my application?
Without knowing your narrative, it would be hard to give you advice. :) At this point, trust the process, and work hard in Americorps.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest the following:

Cornell
Case Western
Mt. Sinai
Emory
Pitt
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Rochester
Dartmouth
Einstein