WAMC? 517 MCAT, 3.8cGPA. Top 20 thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premed3156

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I need advice with my school list! Trying to stick to 25-30 schools (closer to 25 ideally…). Thoughts on deletions/additions? Strong preference for urban schools.

3.8 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA (upward GPA trend with 3.9 junior year and 4.0 senior year; 3.9 sGPA junior-senior year)
MCAT: 517 (130/128/129/130)
Top 10 Undergrad
Research: 1100 hours clinical research (no pubs, wrote honors thesis) + another 750 hours total summer research
Paid Clinical: 1300 hours as ER scribe
Shadowing: 150 hours (not including shadowing done during research activities)
Clinical volunteering: 375 hours
Non-clinical volunteering: 300 hours
Biology TA: 150 Hours
Undergrad mentoring: 125 hours
Intercollegiate athletics: 2000+ hours (+all-region award, national championship)
Extracurriculars/Leadership (religious org, student club leader positions): 900+ total hours
Paid employment: 380 hours (work-study)
State: VA
LOR: 5, strong

Stanford
Columbia
Harvard
NYU
Yale
Vanderbilt
Northwestern
Cornell
Mt Sinai
UCLA
U Michigan
Case + CCLMS
Pitt
BU
Emory
UVA
UNC
USC
Brown
Tufts
Georgetown
Jefferson
Colorado
Miami
VCU
Tulane
Loyola

Do I have way too many top tier schools? Thoughts on CA OOS? I was also debating about UCSF or Kaiser and Texas reach schools (Baylor, UT Southwestern). Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You do have many top tier schools on your list but have enough other schools where you have a reasonable chance for an interview. You should include your other state schools-Eastern Virginia and Virginia Tech.

Reactions: 1 user
You do have many top tier schools on your list but have enough other schools where you have a reasonable chance for an interview. You should include your other state schools-Eastern Virginia and Virginia Tech.
I appreciate your feedback- thank you! Do you have any recommendations for other non-VA schools to add? Also, any suggestions for which top tier schools to cut from my list?

Members don't see this ad :)
You could add these OOS schools
West Virginia
Duke
USF Morsani
St. Louis
Western Michigan
Hofstra
Einstein
Rochester
Cincinnati
UNC accepts few non residents with no connection to the state.

Hey there! I agree with Faha, your list is a bit top heavy. I had a 3.9/517 and got no interviews at T20s - granted coming from a T10 will likely help you more than me going to a state school did (and I def know people with around our stats who got interviews at them). The midtiers Faha listed were high yield for me - I got interviews at three of them (Rochester, SLU, and Hofstra). Would also recommend Wake Forest and Dartmouth.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Good to know! I'll take off UNC and definitely look into more mid-tiers you both suggested.

@Goro do you have any advice?