WAMC 518/3.8 Non Trad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gurububus

Reaction score
**PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE THIS MESSAGE**

• 3.80 cGPA and 3.70 sGPA
  • 518 (129/131/130/128)
  • VA resident (Have lived in NY and PA as well)
  • White guy
  • Well known state school - Biomedical Engineering major
  • EMT in a small city (volunteer): 600 hrs at time of application, additional 600 expected before matriculation
  • Research: 300 hrs in a neuroradiology lab, no pubs. 200 hrs for my senior thesis on ML algorithms to identify recurrent brain tumors.
  • Shadowing: None yet, have some things I am lining up, will be around 50 hrs at time of application
  • Non-clinical volunteering: Mentoring freshman college guys (1600 hrs), massive time commitment for me while in school; some other small things
  • Non-clinical employment: 4 years of fulltime work for the US government as a biomedical engineer and now mechanical/aerospace engineer. Have led teams across the US govt and teams of international officials. Have published over 30 government papers. Presented original analysis at a plenary with diplomats from over 30 countries. Work has been briefed to President, SecState, SecTreas, SecEnergy, SecDef, and others. This will be a most meaningful. Also I have done a lot in my work place for diversity including leading office wide discussions on inclusivity and amplifying diverse backgrounds and viewpoints
  • My 'why medicine' is mostly about my journey becoming a dad in 2022 and again last month. Was the first time I was ever really around doctors in a meaningful way and was really a transformative experience.

Current School list:
Mayo
WashU
VCU
UVA
Minnesota
Duke
Pitt
Cincinnati
Vanderbilt
GWU
Georgetown
Penn St
Emory
Rochester
Hofstra/Northwell
Michigan
NYU-LI
Dartmouth
Wake Forrest
Carle Illinois
Stony Brook
Jacobs/Buffalo
Harvard
Quinnipiac
Ohio St
Case Western
Colorado
MUSC
Tulane
UCLA
Louisville
Missouri
WVU

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's get the shadowing in. Then let's see. Also the community service needs 150 hours in service orientation activity like food distribution, shelter volunteer job/tax prep, transportation services, or housing rehabilitation.

Reactions: 1 users
You sound like you will have a super cool narrative! I suspect the level work you describe will get a lot of attention. AMCAS has a category fo republications and while your research might not have resulted in a pub, you can include the thesis and gov papers in that if you have space. I would absolutely recommend tying in your why medicine to your engineering work. There is potential there to clearly describe the impact you want to create with your move to medicine. Lay out a narrative for readers to understand why you are changing from a successful career to medicine (meaningful interactions with healthcare professionals is a common narrative, what makes your motivation and experience unique? Probably your background!).

For improvement, I agree with above that you need some shadowing (upto 50 hours). Luckily with EMT work that's pretty easy. Ask around work and see if you can sneak in an hour or two between shifts.