WAMC/Advice on how I can improve my application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jinified

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi y'all! I plan on applying for the next cycle (2020) and would love some advice and feedback. I graduated from uni in Dec 2017 with a GPA of 3.61 and sGPA of 3.67. I have taken the MCAT twice both times it was less than 500 :)(). I have been restudying harder and my practice exams are between 511-515, so I plan on taking the mcat soon! Here are some of my stats aside from the ones given:
Volunteering: >1000 hours (mixture of clinical and non-clinical)
Shadowing: 80 hours
ER Scribe: for almost 4 years

What are my chances to get into medical school next cycle if I am able to do as well on my actual MCAT? Also would an MPH be good for my application or a M.S in Psychology (I am interested in Psychiatry and Psychology could give me a little more insight into the field), since I have been out of school for a while? Any other advice is appreciated! Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Also would an MPH be good for my application or a M.S in Psychology (I am interested in Psychiatry and Psychology could give me a little more insight into the field), since I have been out of school for a while?
No.
With 2 MCATs less than 500 I think it is a time for plan B. Even with 515, AMCAS recommends averaging scores, anyway, get the actual new score and come back.

Reactions: 1 users
Your only weakness appears to be your low MCAT scores. Post your new score here when available and we can suggest schools you could apply to.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I have taken the MCAT twice both times it was less than 500 :)(). I have been restudying harder and my practice exams are between 511-515, so I plan on taking the mcat soon!
How much less than 500 is it? Did your score improve the second time you took it or was it the same?

Are you sure the scores from your practice exams are not inflated because you've already taken them??

What are my chances to get into medical school next cycle if I am able to do as well on my actual MCAT?

Without knowing your previous scores, it's hard to advise. Also, it depends on how you do on this re-take. Only re-take it if you're confident that you will score much higher.

How much less than 500 is it? Did your score improve the second time you took it or was it the same?

Are you sure the scores from your practice exams are not inflated because you've already taken them??

Without knowing your previous scores, it's hard to advise. Also, it depends on how you do on this re-take. Only re-take it if you're confident that you will score much higher.
The first time was 485. The second time was a 498. I didn't take any practice exams both times; which is where I realize my mistake was. This time I studied with books and practice exams so I am hoping my score will reflect that! You're right it really does depend all on the re-take; I will also post again when I have my score! :)

Reactions: 1 user
Your only weakness appears to be your low MCAT scores. Post your new score here when available and we can suggest schools you could apply to.
Thanks so much! I will update once I get my new score.

No.
With 2 MCATs less than 500 I think it is a time for plan B. Even with 515, AMCAS recommends averaging scores, anyway, get the actual new score and come back.
What do you mean by plan B ? Yeah I'll post my new score once I get it.

The first time was 485. The second time was a 498. I didn't take any practice exams both times; which is where I realize my mistake was. This time I studied with books and practice exams so I am hoping my score will reflect that! You're right it really does depend all on the re-take; I will also post again when I have my score! :)
MCAT does not only test your science knowledge, but common sense and judgment as well. 485 and 498 tell that you lack both of these areas. Even if you will get 515 next time, the average will still be less than 500. I might be harsh, but given the competition and how adcoms fear that one can fail medical school and boards, you are going to have really hard times to get into medical school (even DO). May be you should think about podiatry or dentistry? Or PA? Anyway, get the new score first.

If your new MCAT is over 500 you could receive interviews at least 12 or more DO schools. There are a significant number of DO schools where the MCAT median is in the 498 to 502 range.

Reactions: 4 users
Take official AAMC exams under conditions approximating Test Day.
  1. Take a practice test.
  2. Study what you got wrong. For every incorrect answer, write up: Why was your answer incorrect? What was the correct answer? Why did you pick the incorrect answer? Use these writeups to guide your content review.
  3. Take another practice test once you feel you've made significant progress studying.
The Boogeyman Method is another way of doing this; the basic principle of practice test --> review wrong answers --> study content weaknesses --> practice test is found there as well.

I wouldn't look into plan B yet. If you were able to get 510+ on your MCAT then you should get a decent shot in getting into medical school. Just look at MSAR and check which schools take your highest and most recent MCAT score.

MCAT does not only test your science knowledge, but common sense and judgment as well. 485 and 498 tell that you lack both of these areas. Even if you will get 515 next time, the average will still be less than 500. I might be harsh, but given the competition and how adcoms fear that one can fail medical school and boards, you are going to have really hard times to get into medical school (even DO). May be you should think about podiatry or dentistry? Or PA? Anyway, get the new score first.
I understand your way of giving harsh criticism and I accept it. But I won't look into a plan B if I haven't even applied once whether it be to DO or MD. I know plenty of people who did poorly on the MCAT, but are successful residents and physicians (and their judgement / common sense are definitely not lacking). I wasn't aware of schools averaging the scores, but I'll take your word for it for AMCAS, but I will be aiming for Texas schools so I will be applying through TMDSAS. Thanks for your advice though I do appreciate it! :) I will surely look for a plan B but AFTER I have applied at least once to medical school.

Last edited:
I wouldn't look into plan B yet. If you were able to get 510+ on your MCAT then you should get a decent shot in getting into medical school. Just look at MSAR and check which schools take your highest and most recent MCAT score.
Thanks! I will look at MSAR right now.