WAMC + Advice on where to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Snowhusky92

Reaction score
Hi All,

I need help formulating a school list and just general advice on how to improve my application. I currently live in California. I am not looking to apply to any high tier schools, I'd be pretty happy anywhere.

GPA - 3.84, 3.7 sGPA - California university of Fullerton
MCAT - 513
Volunteer work - 220 hours volunteer work at a hospital. I was planning to do more volunteer work but COVID-19 kiboshed that. Currently applying to volunteer with Crises text line. Made masks during covid-19 for community as well as delivering groceries for elderly.
Shadowing ~ 8 hrs OBGYN. I waited way too long, had opportunities lined up but they were cancelled. I plan to resume shadowing as soon as restrictions lift and it is safe to do so.
I tutored english for my community college for ~2 years (paid) ~maybe 200 hours.
I have 2 strong LOR's from professors that speak to my academic character.
Ethnicity - White female
Activities/other - I've worked as a server full time (customer service based, dont know if that matters?) for ~10 years, throughout college and during my gap year.

Red Flags - I do not have any research experience. I graduated in 2018 and focused on working to pay down school debt and deal with personal issues. I should have focused more on my application during this time but hindsight is 20/20.

School list - need advice on formulating this list

UNLV - I grew up in vegas and all of my immediate family live their. I plan on moving out there either way after medical school.
TOURO Las Vegas - Same as above
University of Texas Rio grande

Members don't see this ad.

I am just a pre-med so take my advice with a grain of salt. I would look at the MSAR and apply to every California school that you have competitive stats for and look at some private schools and look at public schools out of state that have high proportions of out of state acceptances. I would not waste time and money applying to out of state schools that do not accept a lot of out of state students, unless you retake the MCAT and score 520+. California is notoriously competitive and applying out of state is too, so I think you could have some trouble but I think if you strategize well you'll be fine. Definitely have to shadow more though or do something else similar like scribing.

Reactions: 1 user
I suggest these schools in addition to the 2 Nevada schools:
California University
Kaiser
California Northstate
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hofstra
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
George Washington
Eastern Virginia
Virginia Commonwealth
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Rosalind Franklin
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Texas Rio Grande accepted only 2 non residents last year.