Null

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Teddy0624

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Null

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
It’s hard to say. You have a great DAT, a low undergrad GPA, a solid masters GPA, good ECs, and what seems to be an intense story. I would add more schools to your list though.

Harvard, UPenn, UCLA, and UCSF are some of the most competitive programs even being in state for the UC’s. It’s unpredictable with these schools IMO since good stats are expected but they seem to really value strong ECs and unique stories, but I wouldn’t bank on getting interviews here. Not saying it won’t happen, but if I was in your shoes I would’ve applied to these schools as reach programs and if I hear anything it’s a plus.

UW, and the two Texas schools accept virtually no out of state students. Very very OOS unfriendly unless you have significant ties (graduates high school, etc.). I wouldn’t expect interviews from these schools.

Your best bets are USC and Marquette based on your list.

Id add more schools. I would hope to hear back from maybe 1 of the 4 competitive programs (hard to predict, could hear from all, could hear from none depending on everything else in your app) but still wouldn’t expect anything. Would not expect to hear back from the 3 OOS programs. Best chances at USC and Marquette.

Reactions: 1 users
It’s hard to say. You have a great DAT, a low undergrad GPA, a solid masters GPA, good ECs, and what seems to be an intense story. I would add more schools to your list though.

Harvard, UPenn, UCLA, and UCSF are some of the most competitive programs even being in state for the UC’s. It’s unpredictable with these schools IMO since good stats are expected but they seem to really value strong ECs and unique stories, but I wouldn’t bank on getting interviews here. Not saying it won’t happen, but if I was in your shoes I would’ve applied to these schools as reach programs and if I hear anything it’s a plus.

UW, and the two Texas schools accept virtually no out of state students. Very very OOS unfriendly unless you have significant ties (graduates high school, etc.). I wouldn’t expect interviews from these schools.

Your best bets are USC and Marquette based on your list.

Id add more schools. I would hope to hear back from maybe 1 of the 4 competitive programs (hard to predict, could hear from all, could hear from none depending on everything else in your app) but still wouldn’t expect anything. Would not expect to hear back from the 3 OOS programs. Best chances at USC and Marquette.

Thank you for your reply. After I read the stats and stories at SDN, I would conclude a similar outcome just like yours.
I really shouldn't listen to my co-worker who encouraged me to apply to all those state schools. I don't see any chance that I can get into 2 UTs and UW.

I studied and have connections to UCSF and USC. My personal favorite is UCSF, and I would really want to hear something from them.

I am not sure going to Marquette is a good career choice ...

May I ask you for your opinion: If I apply during the next cycle, will I have a better chance for UCSF/ Upenn?

Thank you again!

Members don't see this ad :)
Add like another 7-10 private schools and out of state friendly state schools to your list to maximize your chances. Remove the Texas schools since your out of state.

May I ask you for your opinion: If I apply during the next cycle, will I have a better chance for UCSF/ Upenn?

Not the OP, but I just want to say that UCSF only has one interview date left, based on DentStay info and that those invited for interview were sent a sign-up link and we could see how many slots are filled per date. In fact, that final interview date already has people signed up. I don't think they'll be sending any more invites until after December 15. And it will only be a small handful of invites.

I'm also non-traditional, have a similar sGPA and DAT as you and interviewed for UCSF last month. However I applied in July. So I think your chances for UCSF will be much better next cycle. If you're still set on applying this cycle, I would add UOP to your list.

Reactions: 1 user
Your DAT score and extracurriculars+hygienist background are strong. Your GPA is borderline but generally passable.

As others have said, your school list is not good. UW and Texas are not OOS friendly. UPenn and Harvard are very competitive, and your GPA is likely not strong enough for them. If getting in this cycle is important to you, you should add a few more mid-tier private schools.

Right now, the only school on your list that are realistic are USC and Marquette, and unless someone else is paying your tuition, I simply can't recommend USC because of its absurd COA.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by Marquette not being a "good career choice." If your goal is to be a dentist, the best career choice is to get into a DDS/DMD program and pay as little for the degree as possible.

Add like another 7-10 private schools and out of state friendly state schools to your list to maximize your chances. Remove the Texas schools since your out of state.
I was encouraged by my co-worker to apply to Texas schools and UW..... I feel like I wasted all the money there.

Not the OP, but I just want to say that UCSF only has one interview date left, based on DentStay info and that those invited for interview were sent a sign-up link and we could see how many slots are filled per date. In fact, that final interview date already has people signed up. I don't think they'll be sending any more invites until after December 15. And it will only be a small handful of invites.

I'm also non-traditional, have a similar sGPA and DAT as you and interviewed for UCSF last month. However I applied in July. So I think your chances for UCSF will be much better next cycle. If you're still set on applying this cycle, I would add UOP to your list.

Thanks for sharing the information. I have mentally prepared myself to accept the fact that I may need to wait for post-Dec interview invites or apply during the next cycle. I still have hope in myself, and I will wait and see.

If UCSF is your top choice, I hope you can get in and enjoy the journey.

I cannot apply to UOP since they require that all the science courses have to be completed in the past 2-3 years. I cannot meet that requirement lol.

Your DAT score and extracurriculars+hygienist background are strong. Your GPA is borderline but generally passable.

As others have said, your school list is not good. UW and Texas are not OOS friendly. UPenn and Harvard are very competitive, and your GPA is likely not strong enough for them. If getting in this cycle is important to you, you should add a few more mid-tier private schools.

Right now, the only school on your list that are realistic are USC and Marquette, and unless someone else is paying your tuition, I simply can't recommend USC because of its absurd COA.

Lastly, I'm not sure what you mean by Marquette not being a "good career choice." If your goal is to be a dentist, the best career choice is to get into a DDS/DMD program and pay as little for the degree as possible.

Very good point, and thanks for sharing.

I am planning to take loans for all my tuition and living, so USC is a financial pain.

I just happen to see Marquette's ranking almost matches the total # of dental schools in the US. I am not sure it is a good school for me since I am considering specializing in Perio.

There are no centrally agreed upon rankings for dental schools. Yes, some programs have higher specialization rates. While program reputation may play a part, there is also a good deal of self-selection there too (i.e. the types who want fancy name programs are also the types who would want to go on to specialize.) My point is, if you have the grades and test scores, you can match a residency from any school on your list.

Also, keep in mind that many dental residencies are unpaid or even charge tuition, which is all the more reason to keep your costs down during dental school.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I cannot apply to UOP since they require that all the science courses have to be completed in the past 2-3 years. I cannot meet that requirement lol.

Where did you read that? I don’t think that’s true.. I know people that have been accepted into UOP that did a post-bacc, their science prerequisites completed during undergrad more than 3 years ago and just a handful of extra science classes taken during post-bacc. So not all of their science courses were completed in 2-3 years.

Where did you read that? I don’t think that’s true.. I know people that have been accepted into UOP that did a post-bacc, their science prerequisites completed during undergrad more than 3 years ago and just a handful of extra science classes taken during post-bacc. So not all of their science courses were completed in 2-3 years.
I don't remember where I read about this info. UOP was originally on my list, but I removed it once I read about the class restriction.
The other one I removed is BU, since they only want all the science classes to be taken at a 4-year university.

There are no centrally agreed upon rankings for dental schools. Yes, some programs have higher specialization rates. While program reputation may play a part, there is also a good deal of self-selection there too (i.e. the types who want fancy name programs are also the types who would want to go on to specialize.) My point is, if you have the grades and test scores, you can match a residency from any school on your list.

Also, keep in mind that many dental residencies are unpaid or even charge tuition, which is all the more reason to keep your costs down during dental school.
I appreciate your opinion, and it clarifies a lot of my concern.
Yea... I guess I just have to wait whichever school would give me an opportunity. USC is defiantly my last choice due to the financial burden, but I feel like I have a much higher chance to get in there ...

I don't remember where I read about this info. UOP was originally on my list, but I removed it once I read about the class restriction.
The other one I removed is BU, since they only want all the science classes to be taken at a 4-year university.
I would still apply to UOP and reach out to them to clarify that requirement because I don’t think that restriction is true. Their deadline is in March and they’re pretty behind in interviewing people compared to most schools. I think you’d have a fair shot.

Reactions: 1 user
I was encouraged by my co-worker to apply to Texas schools and UW..... I feel like I wasted all the money there.
use this form and the dental school admissions group on Facebook to do your research and due diligence next time if needed. You're dat is stellar and it will carry your slightly below avg gpa. You're a great candidate, and you're life experience will also be a big plus. Just make sure to apply to the right schools. It's not too late for this cycle tho you still definitely have hope.

use this form and the dental school admissions group on Facebook to do your research and due diligence next time if needed. You're dat is stellar and it will carry your slightly below avg gpa. You're a great candidate, and you're life experience will also be a big plus. Just make sure to apply to the right schools. It's not too late for this cycle tho you still definitely have hope.
I appreciate your words, and I hope you can get into Penn if I am not wrong ?!

I hope I don't need to apply again, but if I do, I will definitely take all the good suggestions within this thread to get a better school list next time.

Right now, all my hope is on UCSF, USC, and Marquette, but I am open to surprises ...