WAMC? And Help Crafting a School List - 3.78 cGPA, 518 MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

starlight2021

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new here! I would love feedback for crafting a school list for this upcoming cycle and just feedback on what my chances might be in general.
(With that being said, PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE FOR PRIVACY REASONS)

GPA: 3.78 cGPA (3.7 sGPA)
MCAT: 518

Residence: MA
Ties to other places: No
Ethnicity: ORM
Undergraduate: T10, current senior

Paid Clinical Work Experience:
Will be working as a medical assistant next year during my gap year (starting this June).

Research (chronological: top is the most recent)
  • 1200 hours clinical research + counting over the past 1.5 years (current) centered around patient advocacy
  • 500 hours neuroscience research, including thesis (current)
  • 300 hours experimental molecular biology research
  • 300 hours clinical pharmacology research
  • 300 hours public health research (1 poster)
Shadowing:
50 hours, over 5 different specialties

Clinical Volunteering:
100 hrs total volunteering in two different departments at the hospital with direct patient interaction

Non-Clinical Volunteering:
400 hours total in two organizations (*detailed omitted for privacy*)

Leadership:
(*details omitted for privacy*)

Awards:
**omitting for privacy purposes just due to how specific they are, but really won't affect my application I don't think

Other ECs:
(*details omitted for privacy*)

LORs:
I believe that they should all be fairly strong from my relations with them! But obviously nothing is guaranteed lol

Immediate family members in medicine? (Y/N): N

Specialty of Interest (if applicable): None for sure, but I do have an interest in primary care

WAMC?
- I'm really struggling with where to start and my advisors at school aren't the most helpful - please help me craft a school list!!
- I'm definitely applying to state schools / MA schools in general, that's all I know right now
- I know my application is really research focused, which is what worries me
- I would just love all the advice I can get - I'm super anxious about this upcoming cycle

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You have great stats and well rounded activities, though I’ll say that some more clinical experience and/or shadowing could benefit your application. The MA experience would be perfect for this. You need to make sure you demonstrate why MD is better for you than PhD. You have a research heavy application so you should apply to all you in state schools + regional safeties + research heavy schools.

Suggestions:

UMass
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Vermont
Dartmouth
Yale
Quinnipiac
UConn
Einstein
Sinai
Hofstra
Cornell
NYU
Columbia
Pitt
Rochester
Jefferson
Temple
Cincinnati
OSU
Case Western
Emory
Duke
Vanderbilt
Miami
Wake Forest
Northwestern
UChicago
Michigan

Reactions: 1 user
You have great stats and well rounded activities, though I’ll say that some more clinical experience and/or shadowing could benefit your Easter egg collection. The MA experience would be perfect for this. You need to make sure you demonstrate why MD is better for you than PhD. You have a research heavy Easter egg collection so you should hop to all you in state schools + regional safeties + research heavy schools.

Suggestions:

UMass
BU
Tufts
Harvard
Vermont
Dartmouth
Yale
Quinnipiac
UConn
Einstein
Sinai
Hofstra
Cornell
NYU
Columbia
Pitt
Rochester
Jefferson
Temple
Cincinnati
OSU
Case Western
Emory
Duke
Vanderbilt
Miami
Wake Forest
Northwestern
UChicago
Michigan
Ah, thank you so much! Yes, I know and agree -- it's been hard with COVID to continue clinical volunteering since everything is pretty shut down where I go to school so I'm trying my best currently. I've heard that Temple and Wake Forest are very service-oriented from some of my friends who are also applying this cycle; do you think it's still worth applying?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, thank you so much! Yes, I know and agree -- it's been hard with COVID to continue clinical volunteering since everything is pretty shut down where I go to school so I'm trying my best currently. I've heard that Temple and Wake Forest are very service-oriented from some of my friends who are also applying this cycle; do you think it's still worth applying?
I'm not sure what you mean by service oriented, but they both have good research infrastructure too. What do their admissions recruiters say?