WAMC and School List Help: 3.86, 511

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LamboFlambo

Reaction score
cGPA and sGPA as calculated by AMCAS or AACOMAS
  • cGPA 3.86, sGPA 3.84
MCAT score(s) and breakdown
  • Attempt 1: 507 (129/125/128/125)
  • Attempt 2: 511 (129/124/131/127)
State of residence or country of citizenship (if non-US)
  • Michigan
Ethnicity and/or race
  • Middle Eastern
Undergraduate institution or category
  • Tier 3, in state public school

Clinical experience (volunteer and non-volunteer)
  • Chief Scribe - 1.6k hrs
  • Medical Assistant 900 hrs
Research experience and productivity
  • Chemistry Research for 1.5 semesters
  • Clinical Case Report, no pub yet, but have presented a poster
Shadowing experience and specialties represented
  • 15 hrs with family med
Non-clinical volunteering
  • Food pantry
  • Veterans Hospital pt transport
  • Therapeutic horse riding volunteer for riders with special needs.
Other extracurricular activities (including athletics, military service, gap year activities, leadership, teaching, etc)
  • Board member of club for 2 yrs.
Relevant honors or awards
  • Academic recognition awards

Here is my school list so far, please help if I should consider other schools. Applied first week of August. Only "reach" school I applied to was U Mich. Was wondering if my list includes research heavy schools, or if I should consider other schools. Thanks

Wayne State
University of Michigan
Michigan State
Oakland
Central Mich
Western Mich
Ohio State
Toledo
Cincinnati
Eastern Virgina
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn State
Temple Katz
Vermont-Larner
Wisconsin
Indiana University
Iowa Carver
Rush
Emory
North Dakota

Members don't see this ad.

North Dakota, Iowa, U Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Ohio State admit very few non residents with your MCAT scores of 507 and 511 and no connection to the state. Emory is a reach. You could add these schools:
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Are you familiar with any schools in the lists that provide resident status, or at least known to have scholarships/tuition aid?
North Dakota, Iowa, U Wisconsin, Cincinnati, Ohio State admit very few non residents with your MCAT scores of 507 and 511 and no connection to the state. Emory is a reach. You could add these schools:
Creighton
St. Louis
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
TCU
Wake Forest
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Jefferson
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Members don't see this ad :)
Seems solid. A couple of questions:
Describe any specialties of medicine you are exposed to in your scribing. Is it all Emergency Med, for example? I can probably credit you 50 of your hours towards shadowing, to complement your fam med shadowing.

Veterans patient transport is more clinical exposure unless you are talking about transporting them around town. You should have 150 hours minimum of the other activities you list to avoid getting screened out at many schools. Rush expects hundreds if not thousands of hours of non-clinical service orientation activities.

Make sure you look up the AMMSA. Being in Michigan, any of your in-state options should have Muslim Student clubs among their medical school orgs lists. With your MCAT, UM is certainly your only real reach as you acknowledge. Otherwise, you need to articulate your mission fit with the schools you apply to.

Are you familiar with any schools in the lists that provide resident status, or at least known to have scholarships/tuition aid?
All schools provide scholarship aid to varying degrees. Only Vermont gives preference to residents but the majority of students are non residents.

Any school that is not so brand new that they aren't still eligible for federal financial aid.

Every school has some office of financial aid. But if you have to do a search of the university endowments, there's a database for that.

Cincinnati, Ohio State
I thought these two have very high OOS proportion, especially Ohio State. Ohio/Indiana is my top since i really don't want to go very far oos if i don't have too.

I thought these two have very high OOS proportion, especially Ohio State. Ohio/Indiana is my top since i really don't want to go very far oos if i don't have too.
Your MCAT average of 509 is at the 10th percentile for Ohio State and Cincinnati so they are reaches.

Your MCAT average of 509 is at the 10th percentile for Ohio State and Cincinnati so they are reaches.
Oh I see, I was going off of my 511. I'll keep Ohio State as my second reach in my list and remove Cincinnati.

Thanks for the previous list!