WAMC and School List Help (4.0 GPA, 510 MCAT)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ipersia

Reaction score
Hey guys, applying this year. Looking for some school list advice as i've gone through the MSAR and already screened a lot, but would like to bring down the list. Also looking for what more I can do during my gap year to make sure I have a strong application.

• Year in school: Biochemistry senior (Graduate Spring 2020)
  • Country/state of residence: Utah
  • Schools to which you are applying: Need some help here on what to add/remove. As well as the DO schools I should add.
Albert Einstein

Cooper

Creighton

Eastern Virginia

Emory

Florida International

Geisel

Geisienger

George Washington

George Town

Jacobs

Loyola

Medical College Wisconsin

Oakland

OSU (reach?)

Penn State

Rush

Rutgers New Jersey

St Louis University

Sidney Kimmel

Downstate NY

Toledo

Tufts

Tulane

UOA Phoenix

UCLA (reach)

University of Central Florida

University Cincinnati (reach)

University of Connecticut

University of Central Florida COM

University of Iowa

University of Louisville

University of Maryland

UMASS (reach)

University of Minnesota

University of Nebraska

UNLV

Chapel Hill (reach)

University Tennesse

University of Utah

Virginia Tech

• Cumulative GPA: 4.00
  • Science GPA: 4.00
  • MCAT Scores: 510 (128/127/128/127)
  • Research – include any abstracts/posters/publications and how you were credited (eg. First author, senior author, etc): 2 projects, one poster presentation. I was still working on this project but haven't been able to due to COVID-19. The other project was just grunt-work, with no presentations/posters.
  • Volunteering (clinical) – include hours/sites:
Local Hospital at the visitors entrance and on cardio-thoracic unit: 650 hours total (still going to continue through gap year, but paused right now due to COVID)

• Physician shadowing – include hours/specialties:
Family Practice: 65 hours

Neurosurgeon: 20 hours

Cardiothoracic Surgeon: 15 hours (continuing, but paused due to COVID)

• Non-clinical volunteering:
Crisis Text Line: 90 hours (going to continue past the 200 hours through gap year)

Anatomy Lab Tours: 30 hours

Various club service activities: 80 hours

• Extracurricular activities:
Basketball/soccer/hiking all throughout college, not on the university team.

Cadaver lab instructor (3 semesters)

• Employment history:
Appointment science tutor on campus, tutored chemistry for 1+ year

Leader tutor on campus, still have appointments and still tutor chemistry, but also take lead of meetings/help run the center, 5 months.

• Immediate family members in medicine? (y/n): No
  • Specialty of interest: Leaning towards surgery cause of human anatomy lab dissections, but not deadset
  • Interest in rural health (y/n): Probably not
Edit: All of these schools as far as I know don't require CASPer. Might have to take it if there are a lot of schools that require it though.

Members don't see this ad.

You have many state public schools on your list that accept few non residents with your MCAT of 510 and no connection to the state. I suggest these schools from your list:
Albert Einstein

Creighton

Eastern Virginia

Geisel

George Washington

George Town

Loyola

Medical College Wisconsin

Oakland

Penn State

Rush

St Louis University

Sidney Kimmel

Tufts

Tulane

University Cincinnati (reach)

University of Utah

You could add these schools:
TCU-UNT
Kaiser
California University
NOVA MD
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Rosalind Franklin

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you, I really appreciate this help!

I went through MSAR and for all of these schools made sure that the OOS MCAT scores were within reason, but I didn't think of having ties to the state. I guess some of the schools that are nearby (UOA/UNLV) could only really work in my favor if I keep them, because of regional bias. But I will definitely second look at a lot of those public schools. Thanks again.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, I really appreciate this help!

I went through MSAR and for all of these schools made sure that the OOS MCAT scores were within reason, but I didn't think of having ties to the state. I guess some of the schools that are nearby (UOA/UNLV) could only really work in my favor if I keep them, because of regional bias. But I will definitely second look at a lot of those public schools. Thanks again.
Unfortunately, MSAR does not provide the OOS origin of non residents by numbers. To give you an example, in recent years half of Toledo's non residents were from Michigan so the chances are much lower for residents from other non Ohio states.

Yeah, drop UNC (they require 514+ OOS), Louisville, and the others Faha listed. I'd add Wake Forest to your list