WAMC? And some questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BennyRabbit1

Ace Prevet
Reaction score
Hello! I am a 21F NY resident, 1st time applicant. I just want to see where I currently stand in the playing field and ask some questions. I think I will ultimately become a small animal vet, but any vet schools with strong wildlife opportunities are a huge plus for me.

Applying to: Cornell (IS), Colorado State, Illinois, Michigan State, Missouri, Tufts, and UW Madison

(GPAs updated 8/16/20 after summer classes and only my best educated estimates because I'm too lazy to do it properly XP)
Cumulative GPA: ~3.60
science GPA: ~3.48
last 45: ~3.63

Any degrees achieved: BS Animal Science, Music minor expected Spring ‘21

GRE results: Q/V/W- 162Q 160V 4.0 writing

Veterinary Experience:
- 420 hrs vet assistant at small animal hospital
-54 hrs shadowing at same hospital & one other hospital (both small animal)
- 20 hrs Tufts AVM

Animal Experience:
- 540 hrs with raptors at college raptor center
-304 hrs small animal shelter during high school
- 20 hrs for animal science classes

Research Experience: 1000 hrs studying nutritional biochemistry and assisting with trials with cows, calves, and sheep

Awards/scholarships:
- Award for research funding
- Performer certifications for 2 weapons
- Endowed scholarship from my college
- An outside scholarship
- National AP Scholar
- Piano exam awards in high school

Extracurriculars:
- President of college stage combat troupe, proficient in multiple weapons (emphasizing leadership and teaching experience in my app)
- Several things related to piano, such as teaching, pit orchestra, and Tri-M Music Honor Society in high school
- President of Animal Welfare Club in high school
- Children’s leader of church, volunteered throughout the academic year and in summer camps in high school
- Columbia Science Honors Program in high school
- Hobbyist music composer

Employment:
- General worker at auto parts warehouse
- Curatorial assistant in a vertebrates museum
- Barista at on-campus cafe

Letter of Recommendations:
- Head vet at clinic I worked at
- Professor who is also my research advisor
- Professor who is also advisor of raptor center
- Stage combat mentor

Summarize any concerns you have
- Should I bother with the GRE? Of the vet schools currently on my list, only UW Madison is requiring the GRE. I was going to take it this summer but not gonna lie I’ve lost a lot of motivation to study for the GRE as soon as I realized that the vast majority of vet schools aren’t even going to look at it (obviously I won’t apply to Madison if I don’t take it)

- Do you think it would be wise of me to ask my stage combat mentor for an eLOR? I see no downsides to this (and may even bring an interesting twist to my app), but I just want an outside perspective of whether I should do it or not.

- I’ve done many extracurriculars for piano. Should I split them up or just list them all under 1 experience? (same question for my piano exam awards)

- How does my app look in general? Are there any other schools I should consider applying to based on my strengths and interests? I believe my weakest points are my sub-par GPA and my lack of diversity in vet hours. I don’t think I can do much about the vet hours (though the clinic I’ve worked at before is considering hiring me if they need the hands come June, not that that will diversify my vet hours or anything) but I do plan to study super hard for orgo over the summer.

Sorry for rambling and thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi! New fourth year at UIUC! I think you would have a decent chance at Illinois! I'd say nail the remaining of your classes to help your GPA a little bit. If you think your stage combat instructor would be a good letter, go ahead and include it!

As for the GRE, that's up to you. If you don't think you're going to do well, don't waste your money. And be honest with yourself when making that assessment!

Hi! New fourth year at UIUC! I think you would have a decent chance at Illinois! I'd say nail the remaining of your classes to help your GPA a little bit. If you think your stage combat instructor would be a good letter, go ahead and include it!

As for the GRE, that's up to you. If you don't think you're going to do well, don't waste your money. And be honest with yourself when making that assessment!

Thank you so much for the response! Will keep everything you said in mind :)

Members don't see this ad :)
- Do you think it would be wise of me to ask my stage combat mentor for an eLOR? I see no downsides to this (and may even bring an interesting twist to my app), but I just want an outside perspective of whether I should do it or not.

- I’ve done many extracurriculars for piano. Should I split them up or just list them all under 1 experience? (same question for my piano exam awards)

I think overall it looks pretty solid. As for the stage combat mentor...I could go either way. If you think it will be a strong letter that emphasizes the same things you want to highlight about the experience (leadership, teaching, etc) then I would include it. I think a generic "she would be a great vet" letter wouldn't carry as much weight as a similar letter from a vet or professor.

I would lump the piano stuff together.

I think overall it looks pretty solid. As for the stage combat mentor...I could go either way. If you think it will be a strong letter that emphasizes the same things you want to highlight about the experience (leadership, teaching, etc) then I would include it. I think a generic "she would be a great vet" letter wouldn't carry as much weight as a similar letter from a vet or professor.

I would lump the piano stuff together.

Okay thanks a lot!!

Reactions: 1 user
Update: I just finished taking the GRE and ended up with (unofficial) scores of 160V and 162Q. I am wondering if these scores will help or hurt my chances of schools that still require the GRE? (UW Madison and am also adding UC Davis to my list).

Also if anyone can chance me for Cornell that would be great, as it is my IS and my #1 school on my list.

(side note- my GPA has increased since I made the OP and will probably be closer to 3.55 cumulative and last 45 and 3.45 science by the time I apply)

Those scores are pretty great tbh. Do not retake the GRE

Reactions: 1 users