WAMC? Applying 2020-2021 Cycle

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

just-peace

Reaction score
  1. cGPA = 3.35 ... sGPA = 3.02
  2. MCAT = 518 (129, 130, 129, 130)
  3. Residency: Strong ties to Oklahoma and Utah
  4. Native American & White
  5. Ivy League grad
  6. Clinical experience volunteer: medical mission (40 hours), EMT (300 hours),
  7. Clinical experience non-volunteer: community health worker (ongoing--expected 200 hours)
  8. Research experience and productivity: research assistant for interdisciplinary project--active mix of lab, clinical, field work, and GIS (~500 hours) Not published :(
  9. Shadowing experience and specialties represented: Pediatrician (5 hours), Pediatric Infectious Disease (5 hours), Family medicine (45 hours), Neurologist (8 hours), Emergency Med. (16 hours)
  10. Non-clinical volunteering: Experience with youth (Court Appointed Special Advocate, middle-schooler mentor, Sunday School teacher, etc.) -- (100s of hours)
  11. Job experience: 2 years with AmeriCorps focused on public health & primary-care admin. as well as hands-on patient experience (3000+ hours...maybe considered volunteer experience too?); experience in food industry & farming (500 hours)

I plan to apply 2020-2021 cycle and would appreciate any feedback on gaps you see in my application. I'll be taking a couple of science courses to boost my sGPA until then.

Interested in schools focused on rural med and/or tradition of serving Native Americans... but open to anything! Should I probably consider DO schools as well?

Thanks a million, folks.

List of Schools:
- Uni. of Oklahoma (OKC & School of Comm. Med)
- U Utah
- UMN-Duluth
- U Colorado
- U Arkansas
- U Wisconsin
- Brown
- Dartmouth
- OHSU

Members don't see this ad.

I suggest adding these schools to your application:
TCU-UNTHSC (new school)
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Georgetown
George Washington
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have your Tribal Card? Any history of service to Native American communities?
Any rising GPA trend?

I have a tribal card, and I have some history of service to Native communities. I'm also about to start another service commitment focused on Native health issues.
Sadly, my GPA kinda flat-lined.

I have a tribal card, and I have some history of service to Native communities. I'm also about to start another service commitment focused on Native health issues.
Sadly, my GPA kinda flat-lined.
Add U AZ, U CO to Faha's list, and definitely OR H&S. Have a few DO schools as safeties as well.

Thanks a million @Goro. Final shout-out to @gyngyn and @LizzyM for advice. Any thoughts on how could I improve my application? I think I'm okay on my school list.