WAMC: Applying next cycle.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexa426

Reaction score
Overall GPA: 3.306
Science GPA: 2.940
DAT score (include AA and all sections): taking this summer
State of Residence: NJ

Major: Biology
Minor: French
Minority?
Yes
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? Yes

Shadowing Experience: 241 (3 general dentists)
Volunteering Experience: 74 (food bank, etc) (will be doing more volunteering hours)
Employment:
63 hours as dental assistant so far.
Research: none. however, I am trying to do research in the Fall as I'm waiting for professors to respond.
Other Extracurriculars: President and Founder of Pre-Dental Society (2022-present), Women in STEM (Member since 2020, Secretary 2022- present), Crochet Club member
Relevant Honors or Awards: Dean's List for 2 semesters
LOR type and strength: 1 from dentist I worked with, 1 from Anatomy Professor, 1 from Cell Bio Professor, and 1 from Bio course professor, 1 from French Professor
Misc Info/Things not stated elsewhere/Red Flags: fluctuating grades :(

School list:
i've looked at schools mainly on the east coast as that's where i'm mainly located. However, I'm also looking at schools in different parts of the country as well.

Overall, I'm not happy with my sGPA, which is very low as you can tell. I'm retaking one class this summer and another in the Fall. I still have around 3-4 bio courses left to take that can help raise my sGPA and other classes that can raise my cGPA. I don't really want to do a masters but I've considered doing a DIY post-bac possibly after I graduate while applying next cycle if possible. I would like to apply next cycle. My plan for right now is to aim for a high DAT score to hopefully balance out the low GPA on my application. Let me know if anyone has any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

3.017 to 3.245 to 2.49...
I'm not proud of this at all and i'm planning on retaking two courses and taking more science courses in order to boost this up. My advisors have recommended I retake courses and to score a high DAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not proud of this at all and i'm planning on retaking two courses and taking more science courses in order to boost this up. My advisors have recommended I retake courses and to score a high DAT.
It should be said: your application GPA includes all grades taken while your institutional GPA may only count the most recent grade. You must retake any prerequisites that you did not pass (75% or better, C or better).

It should be said: your application GPA includes all grades taken while your institutional GPA may only count the most recent grade. You must retake any prerequisites that you did not pass (75% or better, C or better).
I have a C+ in cell biology, genetics, a & p II, general biology 1. I have one C in Physics 1 and one C- in a & p 1 (which i plan on retaking). The rest of my grades range from As to Bs.

i wouldn't recommend applying this cycle
downward trend and sGPA below 3.0 is not promising...

Reactions: 1 user
It may be beneficial to wait this cycle out, crush the dat and take some post bacc credits and do exceptionally well in them to bring your gpa up a little bit and give admissions a little peace of mind about being able to handle a difficult course load. You have a lot of low grades in a few prerequisite courses and you could be screened out due to that. I would save your money, and your first time applicant status, and work on trying to improve your gpa if you can. I’d be worried you’ll only get into an outrageously expensive private school and if you can avoid it, that is your best chance.

Agreeing with everyone... I would rather you focus on one thing at a time. You need to crush that DAT (meaning 21+ across all scores) and then focus on a reinvention with your GPA (look at dental SMP's). Your undergrad GPA seems too low for a DIY to be worthwhile.

Thank you! My goal was to apply next cycle not this cycle. I'll definitely look into some type of postbacc or masters.

Thank you! My goal was to apply next cycle not this cycle. I'll definitely look into some type of postbacc or masters.
oops, sorry
we missed that even thought it was in the title *facepalm*