WAMC: At a crossroads and looking for objectivity

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

speedyranger

Reaction score
Hello SDN! This is my first post so a little background: this is my second application cycle and it's not looking successful. It should be noted, however, that with my first application cycle, I failed to submit most of my secondaries, and this cycle most were submitted in early September. I recognize the idiocy of this but without delving into too much detail, I just get into my head and undermine my confidence/ability to sell myself. My stats are as follows:

1) 3.43 cGPA | 3.33 BCPM
* Semester GPAs consistently averaging 3.6 with one semester in my sophomore year bringing cumulative down
2) MCAT: 516 (130/128/130/128) in 2022
3) Bio: 22yo from California. ORM (White; Middle Eastern)
5) First 2 years of undergrad were at community college (CC) followed by my last two years at UC Berkeley (Cal).
6) Clinical Experience: 3 years of fulltime employment as an ED Technician
7) No Research experience to speak of as CC didn't offer it, COVID hit when I got to Cal, and I started working shortly after that.
8) Shadowing: Internship during my freshman year ~100 hours
9) Volunteering:
- Student note-taker
- volunteer work at a local pro-bono civil rights legal firm for the past 6 years;
10) Others:
- Was a package handler at a FedEx warehouse during the summer of 2020.
- Vice President of CC American Medical Student Association (AMSA)
- Academic Vice President of UCB pre-med Frat
- Mental Health Department Head for a Cal student government senator,
- One year of on-campus employment as a CC peer mentor (campus tours, orientations, etc.)
- DeCal Committee Member for Berkeley Medical Reallocation Initiative (kind of a mix between volunteer/extra but I put it as an extra)

So as you can see I'm not exactly a traditional applicant. Due to personal circumstances that I expand upon in the app, I chose to drop out of high school two years early and begin my collegiate studies. I may have been a bit too eager as taking O-Chem, Bio, Physics, and Calc in the same semester two semesters in a row backfired a little bit as evidenced by my GPA. But for the past two years I've been in the predicament of not knowing if my circumstances will be seen in a positive light or negative? Will I be seen as too young and ergo immature to accept? Is the GPA a red flag in spite of the decent MCAT? Is the lack of research experience gonna be an issue?

Given that I've already applied twice I'm hesitant to apply again without concrete improvements to my app but I also recognize I'm setting myself up for failure with the delayed secondary submission despite the June 1st, 12am primary submission. What steps would y'all recommend I take from here? I'm debating doing an SMP to potentially improve my GPA. On the other end of the extreme, I'm debating just sucking it up going Caribbean, and grinding for two years rather than wasting more time on more degrees that won't guarantee me a spot in a medical school as Im confident I don't want to do a hyper-competitive specialty and would like to stay in the realm of EM or trauma surgery. If you read through all that, much appreciated. I recognize it's a lot of questions with no specific direction but that's kinda me right now. Let me know if I left anything out or can expand on anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Given that I've already applied twice I'm hesitant to apply again without concrete improvements to my app but I also recognize I'm setting myself up for failure with the delayed secondary submission despite the June 1st, 12am primary submission. What steps would y'all recommend I take from here?
Welcome to the forums.

Since you applied twice before, show us where you applied before (each cycle) and what improvements you made. Did you apply to DO schools?

You were a premed AMSA officer so you had access to students and resources for insight on the schools in your list. What feedback did they give?

I don't get your statement that you are setting yourself up for failure. You have done this twice before. You probably have met many admissions recruiters from the UC schools who have an affinity for those with CC education near their campuses.

This is your first post, but there are a lot of details you have left out. Getting into medical school is not simply transactional. I have no sense of your mission fit or application strategy other than it sounds like MD or bust, and you have not made significant improvements between your two attempts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Welcome to the forums.

Since you applied twice before, show us where you applied before (each cycle) and what improvements you made. Did you apply to DO schools?

You were a premed AMSA officer so you had access to students and resources for insight on the schools in your list. What feedback did they give?

I don't get your statement that you are setting yourself up for failure. You have done this twice before.
First Cycle:
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California
Kirk Kerkorian School of Medicine at UNLV
Mayo Clinic Alix School of Medicine
Morehouse School of Medicine
NYU Grossman School of Medicine
Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine
Rush Medical College of Rush University Medical Center
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University College of Medicine
Tufts University School of Medicine
UCLA/Drew Medical Education Program
UC, Davis, School of Medicine
UC Irvine, School of Medicine
UC Los Angeles David Geffen School of Medicine
UC, Riverside School of Medicine
UC, San Diego School of Medicine
UC San Francisco, School of Medicine
University of Nevada, Reno School of Medicine
UNC Chapel Hill School of Medicine

Second Cycle:
UC San Francisco, School of Medicine
UC Riverside School of Medicine
UC San Diego School of Medicine
UC Davis School of Medicine
California University of Science and Medicine-School of Medicine
University of Colorado School of Medicine
Quinnipiac University
University of Connecticut School of Medicine
Loyola-Stritch School of Medicine
Tulane University School of Medicine
NYU Long Island School of Medicine
Western Michigan-Stryker M.D. School of Medicine
Ohio State University College of Medicine
Loma Linda University School of Medicine
Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University
Medical College of Wisconsin
University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
Central Michigan University College of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
Cooper Medical School of Rowan University
Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine
UAB School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
Geisinger Commonwealth School of Medicine
Creighton University School of Medicine

For context, these were back-to-back (2022 & 2023) and the first cycle was on the heels of receiving my MCAT score. Despite not initially planning to apply, the advice I received and followed was to send out a few applications to get a general sense of the app process and potentially even get an II or A. Upon further research into the realities of admissions, I realized my list was very top-heavy and I submitted for and got verified late. So I accepted that the cycle was a wash and began prepping for the upcoming year. There were no unique additions to my application at this time other than continuing my employment as I was still of the opinion that my application was strong for an MD program. Ergo why I also failed to include DO schools in the second list.

But coming into this cycle I felt more prepared, I had done a lot of the pre-writing and submitted for verification the moment submissions were open. Why I didn't submit the secondaries as soon as they rolled in is something I'm still kicking myself over but we are where we are. My big point of concern however is the universal radio silence or pre-II rejections. Should I take it as a sign that there's a deficit in my application or is it just a product of me applying late?

Edit: Sorry I recognize there's a lot of info I have left out. Trying to balance providing adequate information without writing my life story. I don't know how to give a sense of my mission fit other than talking about my motives for my pursuits. My lack of research is a red flag for me only because I feel like medical schools want to see some degree of research but when circumstances made research not immediately obtainable I didn't go above and beyond to fix that because I wanted to focus on clinical medicine. I went into EMT school during the height of the pandemic because I saw it was the fastest way to get into the field and help with the ongoing crisis. I became a Peer mentor at CC because I saw I could provide the guidance and help that I sought when I first started. Mental health is a topic still stigmatized in many communities (mine included) which is why I made it a priority to help address it when I got to Berkeley. The public ED I work in is in a medically underserved community, and despite the challenges and frustrations that come with it, I haven't been willing to move to other facilities such as Stanford or Kaiser in the 3 years I've been doing it despite offers and better compensation.

My frustration is exactly with your last point, that getting into medical school isn't transactional which is why the Caribbean appeals to me. Despite the drawbacks, it is a transactional system and I wish the US system could provide a fraction of that peace of mind.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Several of the schools on your list admit few non residents with your GPAs and no connection to the state. With your GPAs you should include DO schools in your next application. I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Hackensack
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Virginia Commonwealth
Wake Forest
Belmont
USF Morsani
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
Any new schools that open for 2025 (American University, Roseman, Alice Walton, Methodist)
I suggest these DO schools:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
CCOM
MU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
LECOM (all schools)
Touro-NY
NYITCOM
Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by JULY .

Read

The UC schools do a good job letting applicants know what they look for in applicants, so your lack of success with them is curious, especially as someone with CC coursework.

Last edited: