WAMC at VA-MD?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

borzoi1984

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I am planning on applying in-state to VA-MD veterinary school, WAMC?
My biggest concern is that my undergraduate GPA is too low (majored in Physiology and Neuroscience and minored in psychology at UCSD c/o 2020).

Details about my GPA:
I was on academic probation for my first quarter at UCSD. The story is, when signing up for classes, I thought I was making school easier for myself by making my electives P/NP and my only vet school pre-req class, general chemistry, a letter grade. Not having taken science AP classes in high school, I wasn't used to studying for college level science classes and I got a C- in the general chemistry course, making my GPA a 1.7 for my first quarter. I quickly recovered my GPA (I received Honors next quarter), but over the course of undergrad I received 7 C's, mostly in chemistry and math:
  • C- in general chemistry 1, C in general chemistry 3 (received a B in general chemistry 2 and in general chemistry lab)
  • C+ in biochemistry
  • C+ in statistics (a 5 unit course with lab)
  • C in calculus II (received a B in calculus I)
  • C+ in human physiology and C+ in Ochem II (taken concurrently during a 5 week long summer session. This was while I was working 15-20 hrs a week as a vet assistant. Aced the subsequent physiology classes - human physiology lab, a 6 unit animal physiology lab, and comparative physiology, and also aced the subsequent organic chemistry lab, and got a B in Ochem 1. I learned a lot about work/life/school balance during this summer session.)

Cumulative GPA: 3.406
Prerequisite GPA: 3.322
Last 60 Quarter Unit GPA: 3.505

Veterinary Experience
  • ~2,000 hours small animal at a General Practice VCA as a Veterinary assistant, employed full time
  • 2,030 hours small animal at Banfield as a CSC/Veterinary assistant, employed part-time for 4 years throughout undergrad
  • ~50 hours exotic/large animal, ~50 hours small animal from a 2-week pre-vet program in South Africa
  • ~10 hours small animal from a high school vet tech class

Animal/Volunteer Experience
  • Volunteered with a feral cat spay/neuter clinic during undergrad (~12 hrs)
  • Volunteer docent for a seal protection society during undergrad (~25 hrs)
  • Worked as a key holder at an animal supply store in high school: cared for birds, small reptiles, amphibians, and feeder mice, helped collar fit dogs, recommended diets and/or toys for small animals (~1,000 hours)
  • Volunteer fundraiser/care giver for a cat charity in high school, fundraised over $1,000 for the charity in 1 summer while caring for 20+ cats daily, including medicating those diabetic/terminally ill (~100 hours)
  • Volunteered with local animal shelter when I was 16 (~25 hrs)
  • Owned dogs/rodents since I was 8 years old. Recently adopted (and trained/socialized) an anxious shelter dog. Also own a ball python
  • Attended a summer camp to learn to horse-ride and care for horses when I was growing up

EC/Achievements
  • Attended UCSD PVSA meetings regularly freshman - senior year of undergrad
  • Founding member of UCSD BIOS, an organization to discuss how bio-optimization is utilized
  • Provost Honors 5x in Undergrad
  • High school GPA: 4.2 (worked throughout school, received honors in Algebra II, received $1500 scholarship to pursue veterinary medicine as a senior)

I know this is a ton to read, thank you so much if anyone can provide any opinions!! VA-MD would be my in-state school and I would love to know if I have a real chance of getting in, considering that my GPA is below average.

There's probably more small details I can include, but this is definitely the biggest part of my application.

Members don't see this ad.