MD & DO WAMC? Avg applicant?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lala0997

Reaction score
Hi all,

I just wanted some input on my likelihood of getting into a MD program. I'm also applying to 6 DOs.

Graduated from a UC in June 2019. ORM (White, female, from CA)
Major: Cell & Developmental Biology, Minor: Religious Studies
cGPA = 3.59; sGPA = 3.56
Upward trend - Freshman cGPA = 3.31, Sophomore cGPA = 3.33, Junior cGPA = 3.79, Senior cGPA = 3.80
MCAT = 511 (127/125/130/129)

Research: 3 years in a neurobiology lab, strong LOR from my PI. No pubs.

Clinical experience: Full-time caregiver for developmentally and physically disabled adults (~750 hours so far). Part-time emergency medicine scribe (~750 hours so far). I plan to be working both jobs until I attend medical school.

Non-clinical volunteering: Volunteer swim instructor at the swim club where I grew up (~250 hours)

Clinical volunteering: 50 hours at County hospital.

Shadowing: 100 hours shadowing an adult neurologist at his practice

Previous work experience: Worked part-time my junior and senior year at a Veterinary clinic.

LORs: (In addition to the one from my PI) - strong LORs from non-science (religious studies) professor, science (Genetics) professor, as well as a LOR from a MD and a DO.

Hobbies: Sewing, swimming

Thanks in advance for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

With solid LOR's and a thoroughly vetted application, you have a decent shot IMO. Make some connections with current students attending schools high on your wish list to find out if the school accepts applicants similar to you and supports them.

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for your response! How would you suggest getting into contact with MD students at specific schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
You are competitive for all DO schools. I suggest these MD schools:
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (only if you are from that region)
Kaiser
California Northstate
California University
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Penn State
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson