WAMC--Beginning Fall 2025-URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Doc2BeLA

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
EDIT with new DAT score. Does this improve my chances?

Date of submission:
June 2024- first week app opens
Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.55
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.55
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA, 21 TS, 22 PAT, 21 BIO, 21 GC, 20 OC, 22 RC, 20 QR (Was 19AA and TS before this weekend)
State of Residence: Louisiana

Undergrad Attended:
D1 School-La
Major: Microbiology
Minor:
Dance
Minority? Yes- Hispanic
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200 total, ~150 hours with a general dentist, rest split between orthodontist, prosthodontist, pediatric
Volunteering Experience: ~2000++ hours, split between sorority, Pre-Dental club, school events, etc.
Employment: ~1100 hours split up between many PT jobs but some include math/calculus tutor at college, and a summer internship orthodontist office.
Research: ~None
Other Extracurriculars: Started and led a pre-dental club in a sorority, lots of leadership related to my sorority.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Several virtual open houses, attended LSU predental day, attended Go Dental Recruitment Event (ADEA), Visting Tufts in June, attending OSU and Lyon College Virtual Open Houses, May, 2024.
Relevant Honors or Awards:
Order of Omega Greek Honor Society, Full Scholarships, Deans List (5 semesters)
LOR type and strength: Predental committee--biochemistry and micro professors, 1 dentist, 1 orthodontist..should all be relatively strong

School list:

Confirmed List: AT Still (Mo), Creighton, Georgia, LECOM, Colorado, Kentucky, LMU, S. Carolina, LSU, Midwest-Az, Nova, Roseman, A&M, Ohio State, Bama, Missouri-KC, Louisville, UNLV, Nebraska, Tennessee, VCU, W. Va, Lyon College (new school).

I am looking for more help with my school list. I have applied to all the schools above. I plan to work in orthodontics after DS and fellowship--but I know that I have to complete dental school first and do very well. Should I add anything else? Thank you all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Based on what I know you should probably remove The Dental College of Georgia from your list because they accept mostly in-state people and only a few out of state. It would save you time and money. I hope that helps!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes,
Check on the OOS statistics. Have you connected with HDA or student affinity groups for Latino dental students?
Thank you, I did do that research at my "top choices". Not much.....

Are my statistics commensurate with what they normally accept? Also, this brings up a great question. All of my schools have a 19AA within their 5%-95% range. My PAT and GPA are above their averages. How do I figure out which are reach and safety schools (higher GPA/PAT, lower than average DAT, but within 5-95% range)?

I want to focus on rural dentistry and that is a big part of my personal statement and aligns with most of these schools.

Date of submission: June 2024- first week app opens
Overall GPA: 3.75
Science GPA: 3.55
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.58
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 19 AA, 19 TS, 23 PAT, 20 BIO, 19 GC, 18 OC, 22 RC, 18 QR
State of Residence: Louisiana

Undergrad Attended:
D1 School-La
Major: Microbiology
Minor:
Dance
Minority? Yes- Hispanic
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 200 total, ~150 hours with a general dentist, rest split between orthodontist, prosthodontist, pediatric
Volunteering Experience: ~2000++ hours, split between sorority, Pre-Dental club, school events, etc.
Employment: ~1100 hours split up between many PT jobs but some include math/calculus tutor at college, and a summer internship orthodontist office.
Research: ~None
Other Extracurriculars: Started and lead a pre-dental club in sorority, lots of leadership related to my sorority.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Several virtual open houses, attended LSU predental day, attended Go Dental Recruitment Event (ADEA), Visting Tufts in June, attending OSU and Lyon College Virtual Open Houses, May, 2024.
Relevant Honors or Awards:
Order of Omega Greek Honor Society, Full Scholarships, Deans List (5 semesters)
LOR type and strength: Predental committee--biochemistry and micro professors, 1 dentist, 1 orthodontist..should all be relatively strong

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Confirmed List: AT Still (Mo), Creighton, Georgia, LECOM, Colorado, Kentucky, LMU, S. Carolina, LSU, Midwest-Az, Nova, Roseman, A&M, Ohio State, Bama, Missouri-KC, Louisville, UNLV, Nebraska, Tennessee, VCU, W. Va, Lyon College (new school).
Maybe: Midwestern Illinois, Maryland, Colorado

I am looking for more help with my school list. I am hoping to apply to 15-20 schools and I am having trouble choosing which others to include (if any). I plan to work in orthodontics after DS and fellowship. Thank you all so much!
texas a&m takes very few oos, and those that they do have high stats
as previously mentioned, georgia takes mostly in-state, but i'd bet that they take a few LA residents since it's close by
colorado roseman unlv and ohio state don't make much sense geographically
the new school might not participate in federal student loan programs, you might want to check on that...

texas a&m takes very few oos, and those that they do have high stats
as previously mentioned, georgia takes mostly in-state, but i'd bet that they take a few LA residents since it's close by
colorado roseman unlv and ohio state don't make much sense geographically
the new school might not participate in federal student loan programs, you might want to check on that...
I wont need loans, so that wont be an issue.
UNLV and Roseman...I visited with them at the Go Dental event in April. They were awesome! I have an aunt who lives in Vegas.
Colorado... same thing--Relative lives there.
OSU, well, they have a craniofacial deformity focus, and I have a cousin that has that (its also part of my personal statement).
Should I not apply to the schools that I have ties to because of the location so far from home?
I will get rid of A&M.

Yes,

Thank you, I did do that research at my "top choices". Not much.....

Are my statistics commensurate with what they normally accept? Also, this brings up a great question. All of my schools have a 19AA within their 5%-95% range. My PAT and GPA are above their averages. How do I figure out which are reach and safety schools (higher GPA/PAT, lower than average DAT, but within 5-95% range)?

I want to focus on rural dentistry and that is a big part of my personal statement and aligns with most of these schools.
Your in-state (LSU) will still be your best bet, and rural dentistry is a priority area. Other private schools in more suburban/rural areas should thus also be considered. Southern public schools prefer their in-state candidates with a handful of seats available out of state, so check your DSE.

That said, rural health should include access to orthodontic care, but do your homework about the financial feasibility given the education debt you wish to take on. HPSP perhaps??? I have to check what others here think.

Unless you were told at the ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair to apply, I would shy away from the 3-year programs at Pacific and Roseman as I'm not sure your academic record suggests you could do well in a high-intensity curriculum.

URM (and Latinx) applicants are hard to find, so do your homework to be sure you are not solely going by marketing messages and feelings.

Let us know what you think about Lyon once you have done their virtual visit.

UNLV and Roseman...I visited with them at the Go Dental event in April. They were awesome! I have an aunt who lives in Vegas.
OSU, well, they have a craniofacial deformity focus, and I have a cousin that has that (its also part of my personal statement).
Should I not apply to the schools that I have ties to because of the location so far from home?
I will get rid of A&M.
mission fit is what gets you interviews and acceptances
"they were awesome" and "relative lives there" are not mission fit
OSU you have mission fit...

Thank you everyone for the replies. I understand mission fit. A lot of my schools have community and rural focus, so I will narrow down my list.
Can anyone answer this question: All of my schools have a 19AA within their 5%-95% range. My PAT and GPA are above their averages. How do I figure out which are reach and safety schools (higher GPA/PAT, lower than average DAT, but within 5-95% range)?

Thank you everyone for the replies. I understand mission fit. A lot of my schools have community and rural focus, so I will narrow down my list.
Can anyone answer this question: All of my schools have a 19AA within their 5%-95% range. My PAT and GPA are above their averages. How do I figure out which are reach and safety schools (higher GPA/PAT, lower than average DAT, but within 5-95% range)?
disregard your PAT score and "within their 5-95 range"

average DAT above 22 are pretty much reaches for everyone
18/19 dat averages can be safetys, however your dat scores are at or just above that, so they are not as safe for you
your gpa will help, but some schools will suspect grade inflation at your university
my advice would be to avoid the ivies, the research heavy publics (UNC, UMich, UCLA, UCSF), UOP, and distant publics and have a broad list of both privates and publics

you should also remember that you go to dental school to be a general dentist, not to be an orthodontist, so be sure that you are ok with the fact that orthodontics is extremely competitive before applying...

I will get rid of A&M.
Thank you! I will get rid of UNLV , A&M, and Colorado, due to the location far away. Roseman specifically told me based on my stats, they want me to apply. They told me my GPA would make me a strong candidate for the program and my DAT was sufficient.

I think I have 18 schools. Is that enough?

Your in-state (LSU) will still be your best bet, and rural dentistry is a priority area. Other private schools in more suburban/rural areas should thus also be considered. Southern public schools prefer their in-state candidates with a handful of seats available out of state, so check your DSE.

That said, rural health should include access to orthodontic care, but do your homework about the financial feasibility given the education debt you wish to take on. HPSP perhaps??? I have to check what others here think.

Unless you were told at the ADEA GoDental Recruitment Fair to apply, I would shy away from the 3-year programs at Pacific and Roseman as I'm not sure your academic record suggests you could do well in a high-intensity curriculum.

URM (and Latinx) applicants are hard to find, so do your homework to be sure you are not solely going by marketing messages and feelings.

Let us know what you think about Lyon once you have done their virtual visit.
I enjoyed the Lyon virtual visit. They will ask for DAT but its not upon your initial application. They are being accredited now, and "expect for everything to go as planned". Its close for me, so I applied. They would not commit to the minimum GPA and DAT, saying they are interested in everyone to apply.

Thank you! I will get rid of UNLV , A&M, and Colorado, due to the location far away. Roseman specifically told me based on my stats, they want me to apply. They told me my GPA would make me a strong candidate for the program and my DAT was sufficient.

I think I have 18 schools. Is that enough?
18 is excessive IMO
what schools do you have left?

18 is excessive IMO
what schools do you have left?
Confirmed List: AT Still (Mo), Creighton, Georgia, LECOM, Kentucky, LMU, S. Carolina, LSU, Midwest-Az, Nova, Roseman, Ohio State, Bama, Missouri-KC, Louisville, Nebraska, Tennessee, VCU, W. Va, Lyon College (new school). I am visiting Tufts next week, but I have all of my physics from community college and I think they specifically prohibit CC credit.

Confirmed List: AT Still (Mo), Creighton, Georgia, LECOM, Kentucky, LMU, S. Carolina, LSU, Midwest-Az, Nova, Roseman, Ohio State, Bama, Missouri-KC, Louisville, Nebraska, Tennessee, VCU, W. Va, Lyon College (new school). I am visiting Tufts next week, but I have all of my physics from community college and I think they specifically prohibit CC credit.
I think thats 20 including the new school. Too much? I am on the fence about Nebraska and I may not have HUMAN physiology, so I may have to get rid of Midwest. But they told me to apply with my microbial physiology and I am willing to take human physiology my last semester.

I think thats 20 including the new school. Too much? I am on the fence about Nebraska and I may not have HUMAN physiology, so I may have to get rid of Midwest. But they told me to apply with my microbial physiology and I am willing to take human physiology my last semester.
i said that i feel 18 is excessive, so 20 is even more excessive...

i said that i feel 18 is excessive, so 20 is even more excessive...
OK, I will get rid of the Midwest and Nebraska. I am worried because I have only an AVERAGE DAT, even with good GPA. Thank you for everything.

OK, I will get rid of the Midwest and Nebraska. I am worried because I have only an AVERAGE DAT, even with good GPA. Thank you for everything.
you do not have to listen to anything i say
it's your list to choose
but your list even taking out nebraska is very public heavy
that concerns me more than the number of schools

sorry to say your dat is average for all applicants, but it is below average for matriculants (20.5)
and your overall gpa is good, but your science and bcp gpas are average for matriculants (3.55)

so your worries may be somewhat justified
but it's generally said that 15-16 schools is the upper limit for all but the 3.0-17 applicants

There's lots of good advice here re: your school list. I agree to remove schools that are not OOS friendly - otherwise you're just donating to them. (UMKC, Georgia, Bama, TX schools.) If cost isn't a factor (you mentioned not having loans), consider 1-2 more private schools. Do some digging and you'll find the stats. There's plenty of info on SDN as well about each school and application guidelines/tips.