WAMC- URM 2024-2025

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wildcamo

Reaction score
Date of submission: June 2024- first week app opens
Overall GPA: 3.96
Science GPA: 3.9+
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA: 3.9+
DAT score (include AA and all sections): 21 AA, 21 TS, 19 PAT, 25 BIO, 21 GC, 19 OC, 21 RC, 21 QR
State of Residence: Minnesota

Undergrad Attended: D2 school in Michigan
Major: Human Biology
Minor: Public Health, Pre-Health
Minority? Yes- black
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150 total, ~100 hours with a general dentist, rest split between orthodontist and oral surgeon
Volunteering Experience: ~260 hours, split between coaching young kids in volleyball, working with two dental nonprofits providing free care, and a nonprofit where I go to Minneapolis and hand out care kits, food, etc. to those experiencing homelessness
Employment: ~1100 hours split up between many PT jobs but some include Biology tutor at college, mentoring first-year students from underrepresented groups, coaching volleyball, tutoring kids K-12, and a summer internship in a hospital but unrelated to dentistry.
Research: ~210 hours with psychology research, received a URIP internship with funding and presented a poster presentation with this research, ~30 hours with public health study interviewing community members
Other Extracurriculars: D2 collegiate athlete, started and lead a pre-dental club, lots of leadership related to my sport including attending an NCAA Leadership Conference, ran a pre-health mentor program at my college.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Shadowed faculty at UMN dental school, Iowa's Pre-Dental Summer Academy, UMN open house and online events, U of M virtual open house, Harvard's Bridge to Dental Program
Relevant Honors or Awards: PSY 2000 Outstanding Student, Outstanding Student in Humanities, Rising Star of the Year award at my college, Deans List, volleyball academic awards
LOR type and strength: 1 from Epidemiology professor, 1 from Anatomy professor, 1 from dentist, 1 from coach, should all be relatively strong

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Confirmed List: Minnesota, Iowa, Meharry, Marquette, ASDOH
Maybe: Midwestern Illinois, Howard, Creighton, Colorado, Kentucky, UNC, Penn, Maryland, LECOM, Columbia, Michigan

I am looking for more help with my school list. I am hoping to apply to 10 schools and I am having trouble choosing which others to include. I plan to work with dental public health. Thank you all so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Have you looked into NHSC or other loan repayment scenarios?

Barring weird issues with your application, you're entering the process as a rockstar. Have you connected with SNDA/NDA or similar mentoring organizations supporting future Black dentists? Do you have a committee letter?

If you have Meharry down, add Howard. Among the privates, go for all the Ivys. Make the schools recruit you, and find out how much support they (can) give you (financial aid, mentors, leadership development, alumni connections).

Reactions: 1 user
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
21 AA, 21 TS, 19 PAT, 25 BIO, 21 GC, 19 OC, 21 RC, 21 QR

Minority? Yes- black
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

Shadowing Experience: 150 total, ~100 hours with a general dentist, rest split between orthodontist and oral surgeon
Volunteering Experience: ~260 hours, split between coaching young kids in volleyball, working with two dental nonprofits providing free care, and a nonprofit where I go to Minneapolis and hand out care kits, food, etc. to those experiencing homelessness
Employment: ~1100 hours split up between many PT jobs but some include Biology tutor at college, mentoring first-year students from underrepresented groups, coaching volleyball, tutoring kids K-12, and a summer internship in a hospital but unrelated to dentistry.
Research: ~210 hours with psychology research, received a URIP internship with funding and presented a poster presentation with this research, ~30 hours with public health study interviewing community members
Other Extracurriculars: D2 collegiate athlete, started and lead a pre-dental club, lots of leadership related to my sport including attending an NCAA Leadership Conference, ran a pre-health mentor program at my college.
Have you volunteered/shadowed/attended events at any dental schools? Shadowed faculty at UMN dental school, Iowa's Pre-Dental Summer Academy, UMN open house and online events, U of M virtual open house, Harvard's Bridge to Dental Program
Relevant Honors or Awards: PSY 2000 Outstanding Student, Outstanding Student in Humanities, Rising Star of the Year award at my college, Deans List, volleyball academic awards
LOR type and strength: 1 from Epidemiology professor, 1 from Anatomy professor, 1 from dentist, 1 from coach, should all be relatively strong

School list:
Please include a list of schools you are interested in applying to! It is much easier for users to help you when you have taken the time to construct your own school list first!

Maybe: Midwestern Illinois, Howard, Creighton, Colorado, Kentucky, UNC, Penn, Maryland, LECOM, Columbia, Michigan

I am looking for more help with my school list. I am hoping to apply to 10 schools and I am having trouble choosing which others to include. I plan to work with dental public health. Thank you all so much!
why asdoh?

Members don't see this ad :)
Science GPA:
Bio-Chem-Physics GPA:
DAT score (include AA and all sections):
21 AA, 21 TS, 19 PAT, 25 BIO, 21 GC, 19 OC, 21 RC, 21 QR

Minority? Yes- black
Reapplicant? No
Nontrad? No

School list:

do not apply to MW-IL, colorado, or LECOM

Thank you for the advice! Too expensive or any other reason? LECOM seemed relatively cheaper for OOS.
you need mission fit to get interviews and acceptances
geographically they don't make much sense...

do not apply to MW-IL, colorado, or LECOM
i would also take off UNC and kentucky

choose privates with mission fit and OOS publics nearer to minn and you should be fine...

Have you looked into NHSC or other loan repayment scenarios?

Barring weird issues with your application, you're entering the process as a rockstar. Have you connected with SNDA/NDA or similar mentoring organizations supporting future Black dentists? Do you have a committee letter?

If you have Meharry down, add Howard. Among the privates, go for all the Ivys. Make the schools recruit you, and find out how much support they (can) give you (financial aid, mentors, leadership development, alumni connections).
Thank you so much for the advice! I plan to apply to NHSC next spring. I am also a part of Diversity in Dentistry but have not connected with SNDA yet. Unfortunately, I do not have a committee letter because our school does not offer them.

If you like UNC, apply! They will eat your EC’s up! Just show your passion via essays and you can get UNC. I’m also 80% confident you can get into Michigan if you’re a good speaker (interview). If you go to the school I think you’re going to, they accept many from there

If you like UNC, apply! They will eat your EC’s up! Just show your passion via essays and you can get UNC. I’m also 80% confident you can get into Michigan if you’re a good speaker (interview). If you go to the school I think you’re going to, they accept many from there
Thank you! I am definitely thinking about adding those schools.