WAMC between UGA and LSU

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buttersthecat

Reaction score
Which is more competitive in state?

My current in state school is LSU, and I have the opportunity to move to Georgia with some friends. But I don’t want to move if I don’t have a shot at UGA.
For some background, I applied last cycle to both and got rejected from both. I met with LSU admissions counselor and she said my application was good and to keep doing what I’m doing, I just need to be a bit more competitive. I’ve reached out to UGA as well but no reply so far.

Cumulative GPA: 3.22 (undergrad and grad so far)

Last 45: 3.7

Any degrees achieved

Bachelor of Science in Biological Sciences May 2021

Masters thesis in Biological Sciences in Sept 2024 with a focus in wildlife conservation

Veterinary Experience:

450 hours small animal clinic veterinary assistant hours

150 hours zoological vet shadowing (both in the field and at a facility)

50 hours exotic hospital shadowing

Animal Experience:

Hoofstock keeper internship

Bird keeper shadowing

Assisted with procedures on a variety of zoo and large exotic animals

Pet sitting and lifetime pet ownership

Research Experience:

Assisted PhD student during last year of undergraduate school

Completing my master's thesis that focuses on the population genetics of lowland tapir in Paraguay

Awards/scholarships:

TOPS scholarship during undergraduate

Extracurriculars:

President of the biology graduate student association at UNO

Employment:

Teaching assistant at UNO

Research assistant at UNO

Hoofstock keeper 3 month internship

Previous employment at small animal clinic

Members don't see this ad.

For UGA, what is your pre-req gpa (they use that instead of overall science gpa)? Your cum gpa is a little lower than their average, but your last 45 gpa is good.

For either school, I'd recommend getting some large animal vet hours before you apply to round our your vet experiences. Be prepared to list hours for your research experiences, which are a plus for your application.

Use the explanation statement to explain how you overcame health issues early on in your undergrad and have excelled in your masters program (saw that you mentioned that in another post).

According to AAVMC for the class of 2026 UGA received 1360 applications overall. 256 applications were from in state applicants for 100 seats. That means approx 1104 applications (not sure what pile the SC & Delaware applicants land in, they have 31 seats ) for 19 OOS seats. Your odds of an acceptance are so much better as an IS applicant. 39% versus 2%. If you choose to move to GA, make sure you follow their guidelines for establishing IS residency. You'd need to move at least 12 months before the start of classes.

According LSU's website for the class of 2027, 1468 applications received. 198 IS applications for 67 seats. Odds of acceptance 34%. Looks like moving forward LSU will only look at cum gpa and not use science/pre-req or last 45. Not sure how moving to looking at only cum gpa at LSU will affect your application??? That would be a question for their admissions office.

For UGA, what is your pre-req gpa (they use that instead of overall science gpa)? Your cum gpa is a little lower than their average, but your last 45 gpa is good.

For either school, I'd recommend getting some large animal vet hours before you apply to round our your vet experiences. Be prepared to list hours for your research experiences, which are a plus for your application.

Use the explanation statement to explain how you overcame health issues early on in your undergrad and have excelled in your masters program (saw that you mentioned that in another post).

According to AAVMC for the class of 2026 UGA received 1360 applications overall. 256 applications were from in state applicants for 100 seats. That means approx 1104 applications (not sure what pile the SC & Delaware applicants land in, they have 31 seats ) for 19 OOS seats. Your odds of an acceptance are so much better as an IS applicant. 39% versus 2%. If you choose to move to GA, make sure you follow their guidelines for establishing IS residency. You'd need to move at least 12 months before the start of classes.

According LSU's website for the class of 2027, 1468 applications received. 198 IS applications for 67 seats. Odds of acceptance 34%. Looks like moving forward LSU will only look at cum gpa and not use science/pre-req or last 45. Not sure how moving to looking at only cum gpa at LSU will affect your application??? That would be a question for their admissions office.

Thank you for your input! Where do you see the GPA information for UGA? I've scoured their website and can only find that they have a cut-off of a 3.0 cumulative GPA. Does UGA consider last 45 hours as well as pre-req? My last 45 is so much better than both.

Members don't see this ad :)
Look at the AAVMC link I posted and click on UGA. I copied and pasted the info below. UGA used to have admitted stats on their webpage, but not in recent years.

Class Size:150
Total Applicants: 1,360
Resident Applicants: 256
Non-Resident Applicants: 1,104
Institutional Applicant to Seat Ratio: 9.1
Grade Point Average
Mean Overall GPA:3.7
Mean Science GPA:3.6

here is a link for their "Overview Brochure". It is several years old.

In years past, UGA did consider cum gpa, last 45 gpa, and pre-req gpa. I'd call/email Parker Moore, Director of Admissions, to confirm their current policies.

Not sure if it's still relevant....but back for the classes of 2015-2018 (last years that had data posted on their website) IS accepted cum gpa's averaged 3.59, pre-req gpa 3.5, and last 45 gpa 3.65.

I’ve emailed him and I haven’t heard back. Thank you for the info!

Reactions: 1 user