MD WAMC Broad list, most secondaries complete

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

buckoh24

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Had to make a new account because my other one wont log on. But here it is...

Traditional student (gap year), white male, LGBT (some schools consider it URM), rural upbringing

Year in school Gap Year

Country/state of residence: Ohio (Large Top 15 State School)

Schools to which you are applying: A LOT: Ohio State, NEOMED, Wright State, Case, Cinci, Toledo, Wayne State, UMichigan, Indiana, Loyola, UChicago, Rosalind, Minnesota, MCW, Mayo/Mayo AZ, Colorado, Utah, USC, UCLA, UCSF, Emory, Georgetown, GW, UMD, Tufts, Boston U, Columbia, Temple, NYMC, Vermont, Cornell, Hofstra, SUNY Down, Pitt, Einstein, Mt Sinai, Drexel, Vandy, Jefferson

Cumulative GPA: 3.61 (strong upward trend. First 2 years 3.25, last 2 about 3.82)

Science GPA: 3.45 (3.1 first 2 years, 3.75 last 2 years)(Upper division major GPA:3.72)

MCAT Scores: 505 (128/123/128/126), 511 (130/126/128/127)

Research: 20 hours Review paper in Orthopedics (project was dropped), currently full time (40hr/week) radiology research doing a national study (approx 2000 hrs before matriculation), Radiology case study through Cornell Medical School (will submit for first author when complete)

Volunteering (clinical): Hospital ambassador (80 hr), restocking rooms and patient check ups (30 hours), HIV testing (40 hours so far, 100-200 more projected this year), Scribe at free clinic (15 hours)

Physician shadowing:
25 hours general surgery (12 hours in OR), 10 hours ortho surgery (7 hours in OR), Allergist (5 hours), Endocrinologist (5 hours)

Non-clinical volunteering:
Red cross community outreach (15 hours), HIV testing/outreach (40 hours)(Same as clinical volunteering because we do risk reduction and give out information about HIV), LGBTQ+ youth center focusing on transgender youth experiencing homelessness (just started training, 3hr/week over the year)

Extracurricular activities: Snowboard team (collegiate sports team technically) (4 years, 300 hr) total snowboarding(10 years, 1300 hr), Yoga Club (4 years, 100 hr), Runner (8 years), LGBT Pride group (1 year, 20 hr), AED, Lifting/Bodybuilding (10-15 hr/week, 3 years), Skateboarding (6 years) , Freelance photographer (12 years, 300 hr), oSTEM (out in STEM)(1 year), modeling (20 years, approx 100 hours), LGBT peer mentor (20 hr, 1 year), Social media (Have a combined 50k+ followers)

Letters of Rec: Previous Dean of Curriculum at my UG's med school/Current UCSF Dean of Curriculum/Mentor/Assistant Professor (MD), Faculty Biology Professor/Adviser (Gen Bio Professor), Faculty Chemistry Professor/Distinguished Lecture Award/Chemistry Department Chair (Gen Chem Professor)

Employment history: Campus cafeteria 15 hr/week(1 semester), Chipotle 30 hr/week(high school/summer breaks), Sushi Restaurant 20 hr/week(5 months,Summer/Fall Semester), VIP Bottle Service 25hr/week (2 months,Summer), Fine Dining Food Runner 20hr/week (2 months, Fall Semester), Research Assistant (gap year job, 40hr/week)

I shadowed someone who happened to be an ADCOM at my UG school and he said my stats, while not horrible, wont be stellar unless I have a good story about myself/my life. He said LGBT isnt URM by AAMC, but AAMC also gives schools the opportunity to add on to their under represented group list and many schools include LGBT, hence the tons of reach schools. Had a residency adcom look over my PS/diversity statement and said they were well written which may help a bit.

Members don't see this ad.

You should receive several interviews from your list with your Ohio state public schools as your best chances. You could add West Virginia.

You should receive several interviews from your list with your Ohio state public schools as your best chances. You could add West Virginia.
I was looking into them. I applied to mostly big cities with the exception of a few schools. I was thinking loyola but I think they have a big focus on the community service ECs which isnt my strongest section.

Members don't see this ad :)
but AAMC also gives schools the opportunity to add on to their under represented group list and many schools include LGBT, hence the tons of reach schools.
Only some of the reach schools on your list consider lgbt applicants as URM. I'd remove the others (as they're ultra reaches with your app) unless you really want to apply there. Good luck!

Only some of the reach schools on your list consider lgbt applicants as URM. I'd remove the others (as they're ultra reaches with your app) unless you really want to apply there. Good luck!
Thanks for the advice. I basically looked to see if the schools included it in their Diversity/Inclusion page and if they have a LGBT+ group at their medical school. I have seen it pop up in a decent amount of diversity statement (where they mention that diversity can be things other than race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, etc) and some school have had check boxes for groups and other reasons. Not too many have the latter. Im not dead set on top schools really but figured I might take a chance and see if anything sticks! The ultra reaches Im not really expecting but know some faculty at those schools so figured I would give it a shot (basically a donation at this point it seems haha).

I agree. Some schools indeed consider LGBT as URM, including JHU and U Chicago. I think that you'll get a decent amount of IIs.
You may know more about this than I do: since I have a noticeable upward trend, I was told to basically apply as if that was my actual GPA. Is this bad advice? I based my school list on if was over the 10% on MSAR with my 3.61 cGPA because thats the actual number I have and figured it was safer to base it off of that and not get my hopes up and pretend im applying with 3.82. Thanks

You may know more about this than I do: since I have a noticeable upward trend, I was told to basically apply as if that was my actual GPA. Is this bad advice? I based my school list on if was over the 10% on MSAR with my 3.61 cGPA because thats the actual number I have and figured it was safer to base it off of that and not get my hopes up and pretend im applying with 3.82. Thanks
Strong upward trends are rewarded, but even using 3.6 as a GPA is competitive for tons of schools.

Strong upward trends are rewarded, but even using 3.6 as a GPA is competitive for tons of schools.
Thanks! One last question: I live in a city now and grew up rural/small town and noticed (U) next to both areas (dont know why my home town wasnt R). Does this add any benefit or is it basically for getting demographic data? Thanks for all your input!