WAMC (cGPA 3.48, sGPA 3.22, MCAT: 520): help with school list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homestylepotatoes

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I'm having trouble coming up with a school list that would be applicable for my stats. It would be great to get some help, thank you!

1. cGPA: 3.48, sGPA: 3.22
2. MCAT: 520 (130/130/131/129)
3. CA resident
4. ORM: Asian
5. Biology & Computer Science at a top public school in CA
6. Clinical Experience: combined, over 1100 hours (both volunteer & working about 550 hours each).
7. Research: worked in two labs: about 1200 hours - both were biology labs, but very minimal wet lab experience
8. Shadowing: 250 hours: Dermatologist, Primary Care, Orthopedics, Surgery and Neurology, all about 50 hours each
9. Non-clinical volunteering: 100 hours - most of it was teaching
10. I have taught computer science for hundreds of hours (I haven't tallied, but I estimate more than 500) - both at the college level and younger level.
11. 2 published papers in 2021 (one from each lab)
12. Other relevant information: Overall, I'm worried that my low science GPA will bar me from applying to school this year. But given the rest of my experience and MCAT, I thought it may be possible to apply, but I'm not sure where to start with my school list. I've looked at the MSAR, but I'm not sure how to reconcile the low GPA and the high MCAT with what schools to apply for. Should I wait another year and trying to bring up my sGPA or should I apply this year and if so, what schools should be on my list? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

If possible, take some undergraduate level science courses at a local college this semester so you could increase your sGPA.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Albany
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
George Washington
Georgetown
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
Wake Forest
NOVA MD
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Creighton
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Rush
Western Michigan
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Kaiser
California University
Loma Linda (if you fit their mission)
UC Davis
UC Irvine
UC Riverside (if you are from that region)

You have an excellent MCAT so that might give ADCOMS some interest. But of course, as always, there is no guarantee in this process. Several schools on the list provided by @Faha value service to the community and those less fortunate than yourself. One of the schools (Rush) expects and gets hundreds if not thousands of service hours from their applicants . You have 100 hours , mostly teaching - Very much in your comfort zone. You need to,step out of your comfort zone and get your hands dirty. Medicine is a service profession andyou will be expected to work and be comfortably with all types of people. I can’t tell you if you should apply or not, but starting now and continuing through your application season you need to find some nonclinical volunteering that focuses on the unserved/underprivileged in your community.

Reactions: 1 user
Thank you both for providing some insight into the process - at least now I feel like I have a starting point on what I can improve and decide my school lists based on!

@candbgirl, I have a quick question for you - a large majority of my clinical hours have been with underserved populations in my community. I agree with you that my non-clinical volunteering is on the lower side. I have a few places in my community that I would love to volunteer at, but COVID has slowed the application processes down. Do you think the clinical volunteering hours will be something that Rush looks at favorably?