WAMC: cGPA: 3.55, MCAT: 515, many ECs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremd?do?

Reaction score
Hi everyone! I plan to apply this upcoming cycle and would really appreciate help on creating a school list and also advice on how I can improve my chances for medical school.

1) Biology major, Bioethics minor, Honors Program, Graduated 1 year early, 1 gap year
cGPA: 3.55 Freshman: 2.78 Sophomore: 3.80 Junior: 4.0
sGPA: 3.30 Freshman: 2.11 Sophomore: 3.73 Junior 4.0

Background on GPA: For the first 3 semesters of undergrad, I had many relatives, including both of my grandparents, flee from Ukraine as they were in a war zone and I became their caregiver full time while also balancing classes, clinical experience, volunteering, clubs, and research.

2) MCAT:
First attempt 515 (cp 128 cars 126 bb 132 ps 129)

3) IL resident, ORM, First gen

4) Clinical
  • Heme/Onc Medical scribe at a large hospital in IL (in the IL Medical District): about 1200 hours, paid
  • Free Clinic Triage and Interpreter: about 400 hours, volunteer
  • Live-in PCT: about 200 hours, paid
  • PCT for Ukrainian refugees (not-related): about 650 hours, volunteer
  • Patient Care Management Volunteer for Ukrainian Refugees for Telehelp Organization: about 250 hours, volunteer
  • Mobile Clinic Volunteer in Ukraine on the western border: about 250 hours, volunteer
  • Caregiver for 4 elderly Ukrainians (related): about 850 hours, volunteer
  • Went Abroad again during gap year to volunteer at various refugee organizations, 200 hours
  • Went to Action Summit in D.C and spoke with UN Rep from Ukraine about current and future health initiatives for refugees
5) Shadowing: 50 hrs, mixed specialties

6) Research
  • 800 hours in Multiple Sclerosis Research at undergrad (1 poster presentation, 1 research award/grant)
  • 300 hours in Heme/Onc Research at college of medicine at one of the Illinois Medical District Hospitals
7) Volunteering
  • Ukrainian Med-kit packing: 80 hours
  • Church Volunteer: 200 hours
  • ESL Tutor (tutored people to help pass their constitution exams): 185 hours
  • Peer Mentor and International Ambassador for Honors Program: 50 hours
  • Food Pantry Volunteer: 75 hours
  • Social Media Manager for a physician’s instagram: 75 hours
8) Other EC/ hobby
  • President of Ukrainian Club
  • President of Lead Medical Club at my school
  • Intramural basketball
  • Research leadership (led a project)
  • Continued Research and Scribing during Gap Year along with going abroad to Poland-Ukraine border again
  • Large focus on international/global health and refugee care, being a voice for marginalized communties
9) LOR
  • 1 letter from the physician I scribed and did research for
  • 1 letter from Science professor I had for a class
  • 1 letter from Science professor I did research with
  • 1 letter from Volunteer Coordinator at free clinic
  • 1 letter from Pre-Health Advisory Committee
I plan to apply to all the IL schools (MD and DO). I listed a couple of schools I was looking into but this is not the final list. Any suggestions on what I should add or remove would help greatly.

Also, does anyone have any thoughts on me graduating earlier and not taking a post-bacc during my gap year to get a better gpa? I've heard mixed thoughts, but I had to finish a year earlier bc of financial reasons and needing to take care of family from Ukraine.

Loyola Stritch (target)
Rush (target)
UIC (target)
Rosalind Franklin (target)
CCOM (target)
Georgetown
SIU
Tulane
Rocky Vista (CO + UT)
University of Wisconsin
Wake Forest
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
Michigan State
Marian
Dartmouth (reach)
Feinberg (reach)

Members don't see this ad.

You locked your previous WAMC.

You locked your previous WAMC.
And their CARS somehow went up by 2 points.

Members don't see this ad :)
And their CARS somehow went up by 2 points.
On a separate note, semi related to this post, I always find it interesting that there are seemingly so many juniors posting their WAMC in the fall/any time before May. That would mean that they took their MCAT likely without several key prerequisites completed and they always seem to do amazing. It's like they post all their stats with their goal MCAT score in mind which completely wastes the time of the people they are seeking help from.

Then when they get their actual score back, they likely make a whole separate SDN account to get actual relevant feedback. Which once again wastes the time of adcoms who are kind enough to provide advice for free. But I digress. Happy Monday

Reactions: 1 user
On a separate note, semi related to this post, I always find it interesting that there are seemingly so many juniors posting their WAMC in the fall/any time before May. That would mean that they took their MCAT likely without several key prerequisites completed and they always seem to do amazing. It's like they post all their stats with their goal MCAT score in mind which completely wastes the time of the people they are seeking help from.

Then when they get their actual score back, they likely make a whole separate SDN account to get actual relevant feedback. Which once again wastes the time of adcoms who are kind enough to provide advice for free. But I digress. Happy Monday
Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about that. Many are fishing for an answer they want to hear. Many could be making up an MCAT for all I know.

But many juniors come in with advanced standing such as AP credit out of basic bio/chem/physics/psych/soc classes. Many of them probably have strong prehealth advising that they may or may not be using or heeding advice about.

I'll sound too old griping over the "lack of etiquette" of current students. I'm happy worrying about more significant things about our applicants. :)

Reactions: 1 users