MD WAMC cGPA 3.56/sGPA3.57, MCAT 528

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cuttlefish_deluxe91

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
redacted for anonymity

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
That gpa isnt low. Apply and focus on mid tier and top schools.

But G*damn look at that MCAT score... hard to believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm pretty sure you could apply almost anywhere with that MCAT. A 3.5 isn't too low, and I think the 528 makes up for it.

I would apply to places you like and could see yourself going. Your stats won't hold you back.

Which climbing gym?
Part of me says I shouldn't answer this question but the other part of me doesn't care! Rocknasium in Davis CA.

Edit: Does my response earn me a post reply? WAMC, mang!?!

Ah, I was gonna guess the crux in austin tx based on the T30 and TMDSAS info. Guess we can't hang out.
I come to Austin occasionally, but have never climbed at the Crux. A close friend frequents Austin Bouldering Project -- any good? I'm climbing in Dallas right now, actually. Used to live in CA. They set super soft. Returning to climbing after a 5 month break and climbing "v8-9" by gym standards. I don't think so, compadres.

I'm pretty sure you could apply almost anywhere with that MCAT. A 3.5 isn't too low, and I think the 528 makes up for it.

I would apply to places you like and could see yourself going. Your stats won't hold you back.
I appreciate the feedback. I guess I will apply broadly to the top schools and have UTMB, UTHSCSA, and UT Houston as "safeties", with my eye towards UTSW and Baylor.

Edit: Saw you just recently posted your own WAMC thread. How do you know what my chances are if you don't know what your own chances are? shmehh

I have the opposite problem, my bouldering gym sandbags so hard, but I'm newish so I'm no authority. Only on my second pair of shoes. In J-tree I climb 10's but In Austin I can manage 11's. Whatevs, it's all fun.

I'd love to know how you managed a 528 with nagging climbing friends around. I estimate my mcat suffered a solid 7 point drop due to climbing/climber friends.

How do you feel about going to Dell? I'm sure you'll have your pick of Baylor, UTSW, and whichever OOS schools offer you enough dough to make up for the tuition differential.

I appreciate the feedback. I guess I will apply broadly to the top schools and have UTMB, UTHSCSA, and UT Houston as "safeties", with my eye towards UTSW and Baylor.

Edit: Saw you just recently posted your own WAMC thread. How do you know what my chances are if you don't know what your own chances are? shmehh
Lol, because I have far from a 528 MCAT ;) I only replied to this thread because I saw the 528 score. With a score like that, it doesn't make sense to worry about your school list.

I have the opposite problem, my bouldering gym sandbags so hard, but I'm newish so I'm no authority. Only on my second pair of shoes. In J-tree I climb 10's but In Austin I can manage 11's. Whatevs, it's all fun.

I'd love to know how you managed a 528 with nagging climbing friends around. I estimate my mcat suffered a solid 7 point drop due to climbing/climber friends.

How do you feel about going to Dell? I'm sure you'll have your pick of Baylor, UTSW, and whichever OOS schools offer you enough dough to make up for the tuition differential.
To be honest with you, Diane, I basically only climbed intermittently (5x/month) while I was studying for the MCAT, as I was also working full-time. The other benefit is that I actually didn't have many non-grad student/non-med student climbing friends when I moved back to Dallas so I didn't really have anyone to nag me but myself and I had to focus on the high priorities.

I feel Okay about Dell. Still haven't received a secondary from them, which is worrying because my app was verified relatively early and I have seen other people claim secondaries in the Dell thread. Ah well.

I will say that when I set at the gym in CA we prided ourselves in sandbagging. It's something I appreciate in a climbing gym, although I understand the need to balance attracting and retaining customers by allowing them the awesome feeling of rapid progress. But when people go outside after climbing in a gym that sets soft, they usually end up butt-hurt or demoralized because "v7 is usually my redpoint grade, I swear". So appreciate it and hope it lasts! you will end up a better climber because of it

Lol, because I have far from a 528 MCAT ;) I only replied to this thread because I saw the 528 score. With a score like that, it doesn't make sense to worry about your school list.
I see. Well I appreciate it. It's hard to know how much my score will matter. When I first got it it felt like a big deal. The further removed I am from the score release date, the less it seems like med schools will care. It's hard to know with this process and it can, at times, be quite demoralizing. Good luck with everything!

I see. Well I appreciate it. It's hard to know how much my score will matter. When I first got it it felt like a big deal. The further removed I am from the score release date, the less it seems like med schools will care. It's hard to know with this process and it can, at times, be quite demoralizing. Good luck with everything!
I understand, it definitely makes us all uneasy to think about how this process actually works. I'm sure you will end up somewhere fantastic at the end of it all, though. Good luck to you as well!

I think that a superstar like you can get some non-TX love.

I suggest:

All Texas Schools UTMB and above, including Baylor
Harvard
Stanford
Yale
WashU
Vanderbilt
Chicago
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Hopkins
UPenn
Duke
Pittsburgh
Mayo
U Michigan
UCSF
Icahn
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
CWRU
Einstein
Rochester
USC
Tufts

ADD: all other Manhattan Titans, Hofstra, BU, UCLA.

Be sure to explain why you'll pick their school over a nice, cheap TX school.

I think that a superstar like you can get some non-TX love.

I suggest:

All Texas Schools UTMB and above, including Baylor
Harvard
Stanford
Yale
WashU
Vanderbilt
Chicago
NYU
Columbia
Cornell
Hopkins
UPenn
Duke
Pittsburgh
Mayo
U Michigan
UCSF
Icahn
Emory
Cleveland Clinic
CWRU
Einstein
Rochester
USC
Tufts

ADD: all other Manhattan Titans, Hofstra, BU, UCLA.

Be sure to explain why you'll pick their school over a nice, cheap TX school.
Thank you, I really appreciate it. I will make my "why us" secondaries as cloying as possible. Jk, but I will definitely keep it in mind as something I might need to address if I get an interview at one of these puppies.