WAMC cGPA 3.68, MCAT: 510

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KogaRSPS

Reaction score
1) GPA
- cGPA: 3.68 Retakes included with previous grade | 3.85 <- Taking out previous grade and inputting retake
- sGPA: 3.32 <-- Retakes included with previous grade | 3.69 <- Taking out previous grade and inputting retake
Background: I initially enrolled in a university but faced challenges in managing my time efficiently and developing effective study methods. Consequently, I struggled in some of my prerequisite courses, receiving D grades in A&P1 and Pre-Calc. To address this, I retook these courses and achieved better grades. Additionally, I accumulated multiple withdrawal (W) marks on my transcript. Subsequently, I decided to take a break from university to reassess my situation. During this time, I gained valuable experience working as a tech in the ER and receiving a BSN where I am currently working in the ICU as a nurse.

2) MCAT

3) AZ/CA Resident

4) Filipino

5) State University

6) Thousands of hours as an EMT/Er Tech and ICU Nurse/Nurse Extern
50+ hours medical mission trips as an EMT. Plan to increase my hours as a nurse over the summer
1000+ hours as volunteer collegiate EMT

7) N/A

8) 50+ hours shadowing Emergency, Anesthesiology, and Intensivist

9) 200+ hours doing various activities such as Feed My Starving Children, Habitat for Humanity, St. Mary's Food Bank

10) President/Secretary of Nursing School Organization
Chief/FTO/Supervisor for collegiate EMS Agency
Preceptor/Committee Member in ICU

11) I have been working as an ICU nurse for a year now and was not interested in pursuing a career as a doctor until I did my externship at an academic medical center where I got to interact with residents. As mentioned earlier, I had a rough start in my academic history where I received poor grades due to poor study techniques, time management, and not taking school as seriously. After leaving the university, I have since then gained experience in the emergency room and in the ICU. I have also a significant upward trend in my GPA receiving nothing less than an A in my pre-req retakes and in nursing school. I plan to apply for the next cycle and was just wondering what my chances are with MD/DO schools as a reinvented student.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What is your BCPM GPA, and what upper level biomedical science courses for bio majors have you taken?

There is no grade replacement when calculating your application GPA.

Why not strive for a DNP?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What is your BCPM GPA, and what upper level biomedical science courses for bio majors have you taken?

There is no grade replacement when calculating your application GPA.

Why not strive for a DNP?

- 3.32 BCPM
- Biochem, Microbiology, Grad level Pathophysiology, Genetics (Not sure if this answers the part of question)
- I heavily considered the CRNA route, but realized I’d want to be the one in front of the curtains performing the procedures and I observed NPs in the critical care setting and noticed that when under a doctor, they don’t get to perform many of the procedures that a doctor can and the acuity of patients they generally receive have been on the lower end. Example being my experience working in various ERs and seeing mid-level providers getting the abdominal pains, flu symptoms, etc, whereas the doctors get to take care of the more critical patients (MIs, Major Traumas, GSWs, etc).

I suggest these MD schools with your stats:
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Arizona State (if it opens for 2025)
Creighton
TCU
Rosalind Franklin
Loyola
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Belmont
Tulane
NOVA MD
Wake Forest
Virginia Commonwealth
Eastern Virginia
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Penn State
Hackensack
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Any new schools that open for 2025 (Alice Walton, Methodist, Roseman, American University)
For DO schools I suggest these:
AZCOM
TUNCOM
UIWSOM
KCU-COM
ATSU-KCOM
DMU-COM
PCOM (all schools)
CUSOM
LECOM (all schools)
MU-COM
NYITCOM