WAMC? cGPA: 3.97/sGPA: 4.00

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Novaya

Reaction score
Hey! I'm kinda new to the whole medical school process so I need some helping choosing schools. I'm also planning to apply to DO schools as well so some suggestions would be nice. I'm mainly looking at schools in the east coast, but I am thinking about applying to some schools in the west coast as well.

I'm a biochem major and a VA resident.

My MCAT score was a 510 (130/124/128/128). My CARS score is not the best, but I do not want to risk a retake at this point.

• Research-wise I spent a summer semester in which I helped collect data for biomedical companies at a local hospital. (I had another summer semester working at a small research lab, but I decided to not include this since it was a relatively toxic environment and could lie to the med schools about my internship)
  • I volunteered about 190 hours as a medical assistant at free health clinics and on the way to do more.
  • I worked as a lab teaching assistant for my university for a semester
  • Volunteered at a hospital doing non-clinical tasks and currently in a county volunteer program and a food pantry at a local church (current hours: 80 hours)
  • Shadowed about 30 hours (Physical Rehab, Cardiology)
  • Currently now scribing at an outpatient clinic
Schools list so far:
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine
Eastern Virginia Medical School
Virginia Tech Carilion School of Medicine
Emory University
George Washington University
Georgetown University
University of Maryland
West Virginia University
Wake Forest
University of Pittsburgh
Tufts University
Temple University
Dartmouth Geisel School of Medicine
University of Massachusetts Medical School
Drexel University College of Medicine
Rutgers University

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Do you have the MSAR? If not buy it and use it to develop your list. Pay special attention to IS/OOS statistics. Also check specific sites for mission focus and see if you fall into their focus. I don’t know maybe ch about DO schools but people will be by to makes suggestions. Good luck.

Rutgers and UMass accept few non residents with your MCAT and no connection to the state. Emory, Pittsburgh and Dartmouth are reaches.
I suggest adding these schools:
Vermont
Quinnipiac
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Jefferson
Penn State
NOVA MD
Oakland Beaumont
Western Michigan
Medical College Wisconsin
Rosalind Franklin
You are competitive for all DO schools and you have PCOM, WVSOM, UP-KYCOM, CUSOM and all 3 VCOM's in your region.

Reactions: 1 user