WAMC Confused High- stat Reapplicant 3.96/ 511--> 522

E30123

2+ Year Member
Jul 18, 2018
  1. Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone, just want to preface this long post and say I really appreciate anyone who answers the questions I posted or gives advice for a school list.

Just for a little bit of background I applied in the 2019 cycle and didn't get in I had a 3.95 from a great state school (OH) and 511 MCAT
    EC
    1600 hr research with a pretty big grant for undergrads and a couple of posters
    50 shadowing hours (2 different doctors)
    250 non clinical volunteering
    150 clinical volunteering
    TA experience and other leadership roles
    Personal statement was pretty unique as I was born in the middle east and lived there as a child

School list last year
    Ohio state
    Cincinnati
    Wright State (interview)
    Wayne State
    Toledo
    Indiana
    Penn State (interview)
    Wake Forrest
    Quinnipiac
    EVMS
    Iowa
    George Washington

The main feedback I got was that my GPA and MCAT were not balanced so I took a year off and retook the MCAT+ added a decent amount to my application.

I am going to bold everything that I am changing in my application.
    So this year I am applying with a 3.97 and a 522 MCAT (131,131,130,130)
    EC
    Research
    Started a job as a clinical coordinator assistant so I consent patients for studies and also help with sample collection. I this will count as clinical experience as it is directly dealing with patients while asking them questionnaires and explaining the purpose of research to them. I have constant patient contact and work closely with the doctors running the trials. This is at a hospital so its a little more direct than at a phama company. I should have maybe 3000 hrs by the time of application since I am projecting.
    Through this I have 1 accepted manuscript (2nd author) and have submitted 2 manuscripts that are currently under review (should I mention that I have submitted these or just wait and send early update letters?)
    Also have one poster where the abstract will be published in a journal (does this count as a publication or an abstract?)

1600 hr cancer research lab and I won a pretty big fellowship for undergrads/ have 2 poster presentations

Shadowing
    130 shadowing hours (3 different doctors and 100 hr at PCP, 30 radiologist, 5 GI) as part of my job I am in the endoscopy room all the time shadowing the doctor ( should I mention this since I wont be providing hours because I don't want to double dip?)

Volunteering
    350 non clinical volunteering at RMHC and 200-250 at food shelter
    350 clinical volunteering (hospice care)

TA for a gen chem lab where I was in charge of teaching/watching over 20 undergrad students 125 hrs
    Mentor for students with disabilities 50 hrs
    Fraternity exec position (leadership)

Awards
    Summa cum laude and deans list every semester- probably won't mention this??
    The research fellowship I discussed earlier.

I am worried about schools averaging my multiple MCATS (lands me around 516 which is low for the higher tier schools). I am also worried that if my publications don't get accepted I won't be as strong for the research heavy schools. I am unsure if I should add more mid/low tier schools or cut anything out.

Here is my school list:

In-State
    OSU
    Toledo
    Wright State
    Ciincy
    case

Out of state
    Cornell
    Columbia
    Albert Einstien
    Temple
    Hofstra
    Brown
    Vanderbilt
    WashU
    Northwestern
    Upenn
    NYU
    Duke
    Rochester
    Mount Sinai
    Baylor
    JHU
    Keck
    Kaiser
    BU
    Emory
    UCLA
    U of Chicago
    U of Miami
    U of Michigan
    U of Pitt
    UVA

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
    10+ Year Member
    Verified Expert
    Gold Member
    Oct 14, 2011
    1. Academic Administration
      1) What are your results from your last cycle? Please incorporate into your school list (I just see interviews, not decisions). To your current list, you can probably a bit more choosy and should be able to add WashU. Mind all public schools and their OOS acceptance trends.
      2) Great job on the MCAT retake. That definitely opens up the field for you, especially in-state. I'd still consider in-state DO schools (OUHCOM and NEOMED) to assure that you won't have to apply again.
      3) Dean's lists are nice to mention but pretty unnecessary given your GPA. Latin honors are also nice to mention, but you better be SCL with a 3.9+ .

E30123

2+ Year Member
      Jul 18, 2018
      1. Pre-Medical
        1) What are your results from your last cycle? Please incorporate into your school list (I just see interviews, not decisions). To your current list, you can probably a bit more choosy and should be able to add WashU. Mind all public schools and their OOS acceptance trends.
        2) Great job on the MCAT retake. That definitely opens up the field for you, especially in-state. I'd still consider in-state DO schools (OUHCOM and NEOMED) to assure that you won't have to apply again.
        3) Dean's lists are nice to mention but pretty unnecessary given your GPA. Latin honors are also nice to mention, but you better be SCL with a 3.9+ .

Thank you for the kind remarks.
        I interviewed at Penn State and Wayne state where I was WL--R at both. I felt like both interviews went well but I will prepare more for the hopefully upcoming interviews.
        Do you think I should mention SCL then or would you leave it out and just have them extrapolate from the GPA?
        Also do you think it would be a waste of money to apply to DO schools if they may yield protect against me if I am on a budget?

About the Ads

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
        10+ Year Member
        Verified Expert
        Gold Member
        Oct 14, 2011
          Thank you for the kind remarks.
          I interviewed at Penn State and Wayne state where I was WL--R at both. I felt like both interviews went well but I will prepare more for the hopefully upcoming interviews.
          Do you think I should mention SCL then or would you leave it out and just have them extrapolate from the GPA?
          Also do you think it would be a waste of money to apply to DO schools if they may yield protect against me if I am on a budget?
          My opinion is SCL is not going to "impress" people. PBK probably moves a few needles also, but it should be apparent.
          I wouldn't apply to too many other than your in-states depending on how things go with the MD process. You could always send in your DO application a little later. But at the very least, you should get movement from your in-state MD schools. Hopefully you've made connections with students at all the schools high on your wish list.

E30123

2+ Year Member
          Jul 18, 2018
          1. Pre-Medical
            My opinion is SCL is not going to "impress" people. PBK probably moves a few needles also, but it should be apparent.
            I wouldn't apply to too many other than your in-states depending on how things go with the MD process. You could always send in your DO application a little later. But at the very least, you should get movement from your in-state MD schools. Hopefully you've made connections with students at all the schools high on your wish list.
            I have a few connections at the top tier schools? What exactly is the point of this though? the only questions I ask them are if they like their classmates and about the enviroment

BlackMathMajor

2+ Year Member
            Apr 12, 2018
            1. Pre-Medical
              List looks pretty good. Apply to 6-10 top 20 schools, 8-12 midtiers, and your state schools. If you have no IIs by Thanksgiving, add DO schools...but you probably won't need them. No guarantees, of course, but you made a substantial improvement on your MCAT and fixed the lethal flaw of not having clinical OR nonclinical experience on your application.

Reactions: 1 users

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
              10+ Year Member
              Verified Expert
              Gold Member
              Oct 14, 2011
                I have a few connections at the top tier schools? What exactly is the point of this though? the only questions I ask them are if they like their classmates and about the enviroment
                Those are important questions. And they probably could give you insight on what questions they wished they had asked.

Reactions: 1 user

E30123

2+ Year Member
                Jul 18, 2018
                1. Pre-Medical
                  List looks pretty good. Apply to 6-10 top 20 schools, 8-12 midtiers, and your state schools. If you have no IIs by Thanksgiving, add DO schools...but you probably won't need them. No guarantees, of course, but you made a substantial improvement on your MCAT and fixed the lethal flaw of not having clinical OR nonclinical experience on your application.
                  I think the words "mid-tier" are a little bit subjective. If you don't mind could you list some of the schools that you consider mid-tier? Thank you!

Reactions: 1 user
                  About the Ads
                  This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
                  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
                  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
                  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
                  7. This thread is locked.