MD & DO WAMC Considering withdrawing some of my applications

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Zebra88

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I got my mcat score back and did a lot better than expected. I have a 3.9 519 now so I'm considering withdrawing from LECOM because of all the stories I've heard about it. Bit more than 100 hours each of clinical and nonclinical volunteering and definitely was not expecting a 519 so my list seems a bit strange.

Saint Louis
Jefferson
Wake Forest
LECOM
Okla State
New York MC
Hoftsra
Geisinger
Rochester
Oklahoma
Tulane
Penn state
Albany
WashU
northwestern
TCU
KCUCOM
keck
Einstein

This is where I've applied now. Any help with the list would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Where is your state of residence ? Do you have any physician shadowing hours or other ECs ?
Oklahoma and yeah I've shadowed and I was a founding board member of a kidney disease screening club and also involved in an asian student club

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do any research or have other extracurriculars in college? If so, with those scores, you shouldn't need to apply to any DO schools. Consider adding a lot more top programs; you miss 100% of shots you don't take. For back-up, use the lower tier schools in the states you have connection to.

Did you do any research or have other extracurriculars in college? If so, with those scores, you shouldn't need to apply to any DO schools. Consider adding a lot more top programs; you miss 100% of shots you don't take. For back-up, use the lower tier schools in the states you have connection to.
Yes I have about 300 hours in a lab

You do not need to apply to LECOM. St Louis expects many more hours of clinical exposure and non clinical volunteering than you have. You could add these schools:
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Duke
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Boston University

Yes I have about 300 hours in a lab

Did you get publications out of that? If so, the research, your kidney disease club you mentioned, your GPA, and MCAT score should at least guarantee you a spot in a mid tier med school, give you a good shot at top 20 school, and give you a fighting chance for top 10.

Did you get publications out of that? If so, the research, your kidney disease club you mentioned, your GPA, and MCAT score should at least guarantee you a spot in a mid tier med school, give you a good shot at top 20 school, and give you a fighting chance for top 10.
I have a poster but no publications the PhD student I worked with actually left to Germany to do a Fullbright. Do you think I should be fine with the schools listed then?

You do not need to apply to LECOM. St Louis expects many more hours of clinical exposure and non clinical volunteering than you have. You could add these schools:
Miami
USF Morsani
Vanderbilt
Duke
Western Michigan
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Mount Sinai
Tufts
Boston University
Thank you so much

I have a poster but no publications the PhD student I worked with actually left to Germany to do a Fullbright. Do you think I should be fine with the schools listed then?

For sure. But again, don't apply to DO schools, and add some more mid and top tier schools. Off the top of my head: Vandy, Michigan, Emory, Duke, Case Western, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, UTSW (if you're willing to do the Texas app), etc

For sure. But again, don't apply to DO schools, and add some more mid and top tier schools. Off the top of my head: Vandy, Michigan, Emory, Duke, Case Western, NYU, Columbia, Cornell, UCLA, UTSW (if you're willing to do the Texas app), etc
Thank you