WAMC D.O. & M.D.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lemon Lover

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Thank you in advance for giving any input. I was hoping to get a general idea of where I should I be applying and what my chances for both D.O. and M.D. programs look like.

Washington State Resident
3.37 Cumulative GPA
3.65 Science GPA (no math, I’m under the impression D.O. Schools don’t look at math grades correct me if I’m wrong)
3.2 Science GPA with math

Taking the MCAT in April which I know will be the last determinant.

250+ hour volunteering in a COVID vaccine clinic and ED.

30 hours shadowing a D.O. Cardiologist and M.D. Anesthesiologist.

No research, but I worked as a Swim Instructor for little kids, a lifeguard, and dishwasher all 4 years of college including during COVID.

Currently have 5 LORs all from people who know me and my work pretty well, so I imagine they will be fairly helpful.

Thank you again for any input.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Post your actual MCAT score here when available and we can suggest schools. You need a score of at least 500 for DO schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Post your actual MCAT score here when available and we can suggest schools. You need a score of at least 500 for DO schools.
Okay. Yeah I know it’s super difficult to gauge. And no matter how well I try to gauge it there really is no way of knowing until I have taken it and have that score in hand.

Looking at the details without it, is it a decent app? What else should I add?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have any non-clinical volunteering?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you have any non-clinical volunteering?
Sadly no. I have picked up a few hours at a food bank, but it’s nothing to write about. To me working was a lot more important than doing generic volunteering, but I did make sure I got exposed to medicine through clinical volunteering.

asking someone to chance you with no MCAT score is not cool.

also math generally correlates with science performance.

Sadly no. I have picked up a few hours at a food bank, but it’s nothing to write about. To me working was a lot more important than doing generic volunteering, but I did make sure I got exposed to medicine through clinical volunteering.
I’d spend your time between now and May getting 100+ volunteer hours, and you should be good for DO schools with a 500+. Optimally, a 504+ would give you a shot at almost any DO school.

asking someone to chance you with no MCAT score is not cool.

also math generally correlates with science performance.
Yeah, my Math courses that I did poorly in were early in my college career i.e. Precalc and Stats, once I got into Calculus though my grades in my math classes improved dramatically.

Sorry for posting prematurely. In this time of uncertainty, it just makes me wanting to know if the path I chose is possible for me. I’ll keep that in mind for future posts.

I’d spend your time between now and May getting 100+ volunteer hours, and you should be good for DO schools with a 500+. Optimally, a 504+ would give you a shot at almost any DO school.
Yeah I’ve been trying to reach out to a few places. The main issue is that COVID has made a lot of opportunities is not possible at the moment, or they are only working with people who have been there. The other issue is that there is this general desire felt by people to help their community which is awesome to see, but makes even places like the food bank a hard place to get into.

Thank you for the additional information on the MCAT score. My goal score is around 507-512.