MD WAMC: deleted

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

homonuclear

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
deleted

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Some of the schools on your list will "yield protect" with your MCAT of 526. I suggest these schools from your list:
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
UCI
Kaiser
CUSM
USC Keck

Harvard
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
UMich
WashU
Pitt
Columbia
Vanderbilt
NYU
Duke
Mayo
Northwestern
Emory
Cornell
U Chicago
Colorado
Iowa
U Virginia
Case Western
Brown
Ohio State
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Mt. Sinai
BU
Rochester
Indiana
Tufts
Jefferson
Cincinnati
Miami Miller
George Washington
Vermont
Einstein
U Mass (due to attending undergrad in MA)
Virginia Commonwealth
Stony Brook
USF Morsani
Hofstra
Western Mich
That is still a lot of schools.

While your cGPA is below the 10th percentile for several top tier schools your MCAT is above the 90th percentile for all schools. Those who are accepted with a cGPA below the 10th percentile are often those with very high MCAT scores. While there is no absolute cutoff for "yield protect" many schools with a 90th percentile for MCAT will "yield protect" for applicants with a 526 since they assume the applicant will attend a top 20 school or their state schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
You're killing it. Definitely apply to UCSF, Columbia, Dartmouth, and any other top-20 that likes reinvention. @Goro has a good list. Throw in some midtiers and your state schools and you should see some love. Yes, your cGPA is low, but you have a strong upward trend, a decent cGPA by top-20 standards, and a sky-high MCAT.

While your cGPA is below the 10th percentile for several top tier schools your MCAT is above the 90th percentile for all schools. Those who are accepted with a cGPA below the 10th percentile are often those with very high MCAT scores. While there is no absolute cutoff for "yield protect" many schools with a 90th percentile for MCAT will "yield protect" for applicants with a 526 since they assume the applicant will attend a top 20 school or their state schools.
Faha, would the converse tend to be true as well ? Are those accepted with 10-25th percentile MCAT often those with very high ~90th percentile cGPA ?

I see, thank you. I guess I've just been struggling to figure out which ones are more likely to do that than others - for example, EVMS has a higher 90th percentile MCAT than vermont, but it has been suggested to remove EVMS from my list.
EVMS has a 90th percentile of 518 for non residents.

Thank you!
I'm trying to hunt down that list of the top 20s that like reinvention and am struggling a little - do you happen to have the direct link? If not it's ok!

I'm also wondering if anyone knows if there are some that are the opposite - ie ones that want sky-high GPAs and don't care if there's an upward trend/other things balance that out. Johns Hopkins stood out as one that COULD be like that due to the 10th percentile GPA of >3.8, anyone know if that's the case?
@Goro's got the list, or at least I've seen him bust it out for people like you.

Hello! I have submitted AMCAS already but am really trying to nail down my school list before the July 10th transmission date. I'm struggling to narrow down my list, and also hoping to not miss any great schools.

Stats: 526 MCAT, 3.54 cGPA, 3.79sGPA, strong upward trend. reasons for poor freshman grades discussed in PS. Graduated over a year ago now from mid-tier university in MA.

Demographics: White female, not disadvantaged. LGBT, but not a main focus of my app - minor involvement in a few LGBT organizations and will be talking about it in diversity secondaries, but did not disclose in PS. Would prefer to attend school in a location that is pretty accepting.

Clinical (Paid): 250 hours ER scribe, projected 750 more in cardiology clinic
Clinical (Volunteer): 250 hours general hospital volunteer including patient transport and rounding (although mostly interacted with families, projected 200 more if covid allows it
Shadowing: 80 hours (32 family practice, 11 gyn, 40 cardiology)
Research: 650 hours neurobio with no pubs/posters/anything to show for it, but i talked about it as one of my MME
Nonclinical volunteering:
-360 hours mental health crisis center counselor (similar to CTL), first 300 hours in high school and last 60 in a leadership position there in college
-150 hours assorted other volunteering including teaching self-defense to girls in disadvantaged communities, habitat for humanity, cat rescue
Nonclinical paid: 80 hrs MCAT tutor, projecting 100 or so more

My school list is very long and currently consists of:
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
UCI
Kaiser
CUSM
USC Keck

Harvard
Johns Hopkins
UPenn
UMich
WashU
Pitt
Columbia
Vanderbilt
NYU
Duke
Mayo
Northwestern
Emory
Cornell
UChicago
Colorado
Iowa
U Virginia
Case Western
Brown
Ohio State
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Mt. Sinai
BU
Rochester
Indiana
Tufts
Jefferson
MCW
Cincinnati
Miami Miller
Wake Forest
George Washington
Vermont
Einstein
Virginia Commonwealth
Penn state
Temple
Stony Brook
Buffalo
EVMS
USF Morsani
Rosalind Franklin
NYMC
Hofstra
Quinnipiac
Western Mich

Regarding curriculum preferences, I prefer collaborative environments but perform better with a little structure (hence why I removed Yale).
Really appreciate your insight as I think this list is probably too top-heavy. Thank you!
Some of the schools on your list will "yield protect" with your MCAT of 526. I suggest these schools from your list:
UCSF
Stanford
UCLA
UCSD
UCD
UCI
Kaiser
CUSM
USC Keck
JHU
UMich
WashU
Pitt
Columbia
Vanderbilt
NYU
NYU.LI
Duke
Mayo
Northwestern
Emory
U Chicago
U Virginia
Case Western
Georgetown
Dartmouth
Mt. Sinai
BU
Rochester
Tufts
Jefferson
Cincinnati
Miami Miller
George Washington
Vermont
Einstein
USF Morsani
Hofstra
Western Mich
Tulane
Wake
SLU
Crieghton
Loyola
Your state school(s)
I agree with my wise college, but suggest the following from his list: