DO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted859689

GPA: 2.9 sGPA, 3.35 cGPA, 3.6 SMP, 508 MCAT
MCAT: 508 127/125/130/126 - room for improvement psych soc/cars?
exp: 1000+ scribing orthropedic surg, 250 non-clinical volunteer (community, under served area), 100 EMT, 130 surgical shadowing (mixed neurosurg, urology, ortho), 4000+ graduate research, 3500+ undergrad research, 1920 research w/ inner city high school students summer (mentor).
Switched from graduate studies to medicine. No graduate degree earned, 3 semesters grad school, gGPA 3.5. Looking mostly at VCOM... just for kicks, any MD? Wait listed VCUSOM last cycle. WAMC?

- Oh and VTCSOM reject was just "lack of clinical exp" which now I have 1K+

Edit: spelling

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
VCOM (all 3 schools)
WVSOM
CUSOM
UP-KYCOM
MU-COM
LECOM (all schools)
UIWSOM
ACOM
ARCOM
NYIT-Arkansas
PCOM (all schools)
BCOM
For MD you could try Virginia Tech, Eastern Virginia, Virginia Commonwealth and West Virginia

Thank you so much Faha! After reviewing the DO philosophy, I'm actually leaning more towards DO now... resonates with me a little more... I've been studying for an MCAT retake. Planning on taking it again in August, submitting apps before then though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Members don't see this ad :)
What do you think the chances of at least one acceptance will be?

exp: 1000+ scribing orthropedic surg, 250 non-clinical volunteer (community, under served area), 100 EMT, 130 surgical shadowing (mixed neurosurg, urology, ortho), 4000+ graduate research, 3500+ undergrad research, 1920 research w/ inner city high school students summer (mentor).
Pubs: 1st author pub (funded by DARPA), 2nd author pub (ACS Green Chemistry Award 2018 sponsored by EPA, Kick started $25M grant, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, impact factor ~9), co-author undergrad pub
VA Resident
Switched from graduate studies to medicine. No graduate degree earned, 3 semesters grad school, gGPA 3.5. Looking mostly at VCOM... just for kicks, any MD? Wait listed VCUSOM last cycle. WAMC?

Am I counting incorrectly or do you really have almost 10k research hours?

And you have a “3.5 gGPA” and “3.6 SMP” - so you did grad school before an SMP?

Those are some of the strongest research ECs I’ve seen posted in WAMC. SMP and MCAT are on a little low for what’s expected as a ‘reinventer’ (i.e., 513+ and 3.7+ in SMP) - but I wouldn’t be surprised if your research history nets you MD interviews. Your subsection scores might get leeway (very good B/B).

Am I counting incorrectly or do you really have almost 10k research hours?

And you have a “3.5 gGPA” and “3.6 SMP” - so you did grad school before an SMP?

Those are some of the strongest research ECs I’ve seen posted in WAMC. SMP and MCAT are on a little low for what’s expected as a ‘reinventer’ (i.e., 513+ and 3.7+ in SMP) - but I wouldn’t be surprised if your research history nets you MD interviews. Your subsection scores might get leeway (very good B/B).

Thank you for the support! I am studying for an MCAT retake to see if I can get it higher. My first MCAT, I didn't have any previous biochemistry class and scored roughly 40ish percentile. Jumped to 96th percentile after SMP which I hope shows that I am capable of learning and retaining information. I was in grad school before my SMP - on AMCAS these GPA's are averaged to a gGPA of 3.54. Most schools, research is not a prerequisite. I believe if I can get my MCAT to above 513, I have a good chance at my state schools. However, I need to do it first :) And yes... I have extensive research experience. From researching on SDN, GORO would say the same thing - MCAT is lethal for "reinventer" he would say "OK for DO school, and if you are boning for the MD, an MCAT retake is in order" haha.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Thank you for the support! I am studying for an MCAT retake to see if I can get it higher. My first MCAT, I didn't have any previous biochemistry class and scored roughly 40ish percentile. Jumped to 96th percentile after SMP which I hope shows that I am capable of learning and retaining information. I was in grad school before my SMP - on AMCAS these GPA's are averaged to a gGPA of 3.54. Most schools, research is not a prerequisite. I believe if I can get my MCAT to above 513, I have a good chance at my state schools. However, I need to do it first :) And yes... I have extensive research experience. From researching on SDN, GORO would say the same thing - MCAT is lethal for "reinventer" he would say "OK for DO school, and if you are boning for the MD, an MCAT retake is in order" haha.

LOL great @Goro impersonation- but I'm not 100% sure he would say "lethal." I think he'd to try DO + State MD. But I don't know how good a 3rd MCAT is going to look (especially since your 508 really isn't that bad). You could nab some easy points in P/S but getting that CARS to move will be tough.

What have you changed since last cycle anyway? Your timeline in the OP isn't very clear.

Research isn't a prereq but 10,000 hours is like 4-5 years of fulltime research work.

LOL great @Goro impersonation- but I'm not 100% sure he would say "lethal." I think he'd to try DO + State MD. But I don't know how good a 3rd MCAT is going to look (especially since your 508 really isn't that bad). You could nab some easy points in P/S but getting that CARS to move will be tough.

What have you changed since last cycle anyway? Your timeline in the OP isn't very clear.

Research isn't a prereq but 10,000 hours is like 4-5 years of fulltime research work.

I've scribed over the past year "1k hours" and have continued to volunteer locally. In addition, I have matured mentally and have a clearer picture of who I am as a person. I didn't elaborate on my original post, but I have a propensity to just help others. I was a Resident Assistant (RA) during my undergrad and knocked on all my my residents doors every single day to ask how they were doing and prided myself in knowing all the resources and events on campus to properly guide my residents. No other RA did this. In addition, I used to play ALOT of video games... and when someone would be like "gotta do HW" I would offer to review any math/science especially chemistry. I would also offer to revise essays and offer feedback. People used to message me and be like "thanks to you I got into my dream school! Thank you for the advice and tutoring!" Very satisfying feeling. I have an analytical side to me and a humanistic side... being a graduate researcher and working on decreasing the cost of active pharmaceutical ingredients (APIs) fed my analytical side. However, it did nothing for my humanistic part of me and thus I was never truly happy. I know that being a physician will not only reward my analytical side, but also my humanistic side especially when treating patients and offering them the best medical and personal advice. This is why I also think I would be a very good DO as well, however have not had the opportunity to shadow one. I have been in contact with a DO about shadowing, however.

TLDR: I want to become a doctor because it what makes me happy :)

Pubs: 1st author pub (funded by DARPA), 2nd author pub (ACS Green Chemistry Award 2018 sponsored by EPA, Kick started $25M grant, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation, impact factor ~9), co-author undergrad pub
VA Resident

I suggest:
TCU.UNT
VCU
EVMS
Va Tech only if you're from rural western VA
U WV only if you're from rural western VA
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

I suggest:
TCU.UNT
VCU
EVMS
Va Tech only if you're from rural western VA
U WV only if you're from rural western VA
Any DO school. I can't recommend Touro-NY, Nova, Wm Carey, LUCOM, for different reasons. MSUCOM? Read up on Larry Nasser and you decide. LMU has an accreditation warning, which concerns me. CalHS is too new and appears to be too limited in rotations sites.

Thank you Goro, I've read on Nasser and MSUCOM... I'll give this one a pass unless I'm still trying to get in in 2022. Thank's for the list and wish me luck! I feel honored to have the legendary goro give me feedback ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.