WAMC - DO School List Help Needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

super1388

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you all think are my chances for MD vs DO? I have not taken the MCAT yet but plan to by the end of year. A target school list would be really appreciated.

- What score would I need to be competitive?
- I have an "upward" trend GPA (see my GPA info below)
- 4 years of research experience, multiple presentations and working on final publication (1st author)
- EMT with a few hundred hours of volunteer experience
- Worked as a scribe for a 1 yr
- Started Pre-SOMA chapter for my university

My GPA went down as I was a part time student 2nd year and was working 1 full-time job + trying to do extracurricular (clearly over-committed there). I left medicine thinking I wanted to go into business (now a management consultant) but I kinda regret doing this. Being a physician is tough but working in healthcare previously definitely showed me this is such a fulfilling path to make an impact on people. I should also add that 36 of my units were for research over 4 years. I did do my fair share of work to earn "A" or "A+" grades for all those units, but how would a medical school view those since it is not a "traditional" class like neurobio, etc.?

If this helps with chances at all: I was a 1st gen college student and am 1/4 Hispanic by descent. Please give me as much honest feedback as possible! Thank you all very much.

Cumulative GPA Trend
QPSem. HoursGPAcum GPA
Freshman43.07014.1003.0553.055
Sophomore55.29020.1002.7512.876
Junior115.02035.5003.2403.061
Senior89.19024.0003.7163.229

1594956428186.png

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should receive interviews at DO schools as long as your MCAT score is at least 500. Post your actual score here in the future.

Reactions: 1 user
You should receive interviews at DO schools as long as your MCAT score is at least 500. Post your actual score here in the future.

Thank you for the quick response!

Hey everyone! I am back (6 months later haha) and I just got my MCAT! Scored a 513. Based on this (and being a CA resident), what do you all think are my chances for MD vs DO? And do you have any suggestions on which schools to apply to?

Hey everyone! I am back (6 months later haha) and I just got my MCAT! Scored a 513. Based on this (and being a CA resident), what do you all think are my chances for MD vs DO? And do you have any suggestions on which schools to apply to?
I suggest these DO schools with your stats:
WESTERN
TUCOM-CA
TUNCOM
AZCOM
ATSU-KCOM
KCU-COM
DMU-COM
MU-COM
ACOM
CUSOM
VCOM (all schools except Monroe)